Thread: Razer Blade 15 configurable with up to RTX 2080 graphics

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Razer Blade 15 configurable with up to RTX 2080 graphics

It will be one of the first gaming laptops to feature an Nvidia Turing GPU (29th January).
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Patriot Blackout @ 3800 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB (2), Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 5700XT, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte G27QC
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 MB/s ↓ 0.86 MB/s ↑ ~20ms

Re: Razer Blade 15 configurable with up to RTX 2080 graphics

Okay, I have a BUNCH of questions here. Let's start with this one; you mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Article
    up to 512GB SSD (supports up to 2TB)
    which suggests the SSDs have a max capacity of 512GB, and support up to 2TB total capacity. But the spec sheet claims that the "Advanced" variant only gets one (max 512GB, then) SSD and the regular gets two (max 1TB, then?) so I have no idea how that works. Is it possible to replace SSD(s) with higher capacity models, without voiding warranty? Is it even "up to 2TB" if you don't offer a config which yields 2TB?

As to the Advanced spec, why would you include the 4K Touchscreen on the model with more GPU grunt? What workload is best performed on a laptop with highest tier GPUs, using a touchscreen?...while branded as a gamer laptop, of course. I for one won't be playing Tomb Raider with my fingers? Perhaps there's some edge case where this makes sense, but I don't get it.

Advanced spec only gets one SSD. In design that makes sense, I guess space had to be freed up to get a bigger GPU and requisite cooling in, but now that big GPU is going to be powering far fewer games and media at any one time because there's no second storage drive to keep the media on. And you're capped at 512GB, which in the real world is more like 460GB.

Chroma makes sense. We get that GPU e-peen, double down with more cRaZy RaDiCaL RGB dUdE.

So this is obviously serious gaming kit, with its RTX 2080, and people always play their intense 144 FPS games while moving around mobile, and they really hate low latency networking, so just cut that Ethernet port. WiFi best, right?

Now that all of that makes no sense, they make the laptop even thinner. I'm sure it didn't need any space for keeping those shiny, new, giant CPU and GPU chips cool.

What??? Am I the mad one?

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Ozaron View Post
    Okay, I have a BUNCH of questions here. Let's start with this one; you mention which suggests the SSDs have a max capacity of 512GB, and support up to 2TB total capacity. But the spec sheet claims that the "Advanced" variant only gets one (max 512GB, then) SSD and the regular gets two (max 1TB, then?) so I have no idea how that works. Is it possible to replace SSD(s) with higher capacity models, without voiding warranty? Is it even "up to 2TB" if you don't offer a config which yields 2TB?
    They use the all important wording: "supports" - ie, yes, if you replaced the SSD with a 2TB model the system would still work. Usually it's fine to replace HDDs/SSDs with a higher capacity model without voiding warranty on the rest of the computer.

As to the Advanced spec, why would you include the 4K Touchscreen on the model with more GPU grunt? What workload is best performed on a laptop with highest tier GPUs, using a touchscreen?
    4K displays need a lot more grunt than 1080p, so pretty well matched to the 2080 model. As for touchscreen, it's surprisingly effective on a modern OS, and it's likely the display panel maker produces a 4K touch for other manufacturers as well, so economies of scale mean it's not worth making a 4k non-touch. It is possible to want a computer for browsing/watching shows etc. as well as gaming.

Advanced spec only gets one SSD. In design that makes sense, I guess space had to be freed up to get a bigger GPU and requisite cooling in, but now that big GPU is going to be powering far fewer games and media at any one time because there's no second storage drive to keep the media on. And you're capped at 512GB, which in the real world is more like 460GB.
    You could always replace it with a bigger SSD. In terms of speed and reliability it's better to go with a single bigger SSD than multiple smaller ones.

So this is obviously serious gaming kit, with its RTX 2080, and people always play their intense 144 FPS games while moving around mobile, and they really hate low latency networking, so just cut that Ethernet port. WiFi best, right?
    Ethernet ports are fat - thin laptops have done away with them for years, and usually provide an adaptor with the computer for free. It's a pain, but it's not new.

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband

excellent spec laptop this is

Thread Information