Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: QOTW: Which PC components are you looking to upgrade in 2019?

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: QOTW: Which PC components are you looking to upgrade in 2019?

I need a new graphics card, as my old gtx970 is a bit old and I need more powerful card for play in 1440p

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Kingston Fury Renegade @ 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800 XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

CPU (+ Cooler), Motherboard and RAM. Possibly a new case (+ case fans) too.

I'm hoping to hold out for Zen 2's release to have as much choice as possible.

Registered+
    Thanks

Everything except gpu. Motherboard, cpu, ram, cooler, ssd, psu, case. Been planning a build for years and still waiting until after CES in case some juicy announcements change my plans.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

GPU, long overdue, hasn't been a reasonably priceerformant GPU in years, I'm hoping Navi answers the call.
    Might double my RAM.
    Also hoping to get high GB:£ QLC SSD(s) that/they will replace the spinning rust in my desktop and install my steam games there.

That'll keep me going for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

Same as last year a gpu hopefully good news at CES

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

everything, but can't afford to

Thanks

Monitor only if 16:10+ gsync or freesync. Otherwise nothing until my Dell 24in 16:10 dies
    GPU, only if 7nm and under 180w (my 1070ti watts, trying to lower it for main pc in a small room)
    CPU, 3, two for HTPC (maybe a 3rd), one to up my 8700k to 8-12 cores (must have hyperthreading/smt whatever in all cases)

7nm on everything chip related cpu/gpu today. I have no interest in anything else after 1070ti and 8700k unless 7nm.

Oh, lets not forget storage/mem, eh, 2-3 8TB drives this year probably. They are $119-129 at costco monthly with no deal needed pretty much. I'm tempted to shuck one like I did 2 3TB drives from seagate for an internal as it is $169 for the ARCHIVE model inside the 8TB seagates (amazon)...LOL. Likely 1-2 1TB SSD's, maybe 3 if BF 2019 is a hit.

Though, if memory and SSD goes down, I could see 3 1TB drives for SSD, and 16-32 more GB of mem. DDR4 is already 1/2 what I paid almost from the 8700k/16GB purchase just over a year ago (167 IIRC, like speed IS 1/2 off). I'd be pretty happy to put in 8-16 more GB in 2-3 PC's if they keep dropping like they are for a few more months. Not much interest in holding off here for DDR5 PC builds, as I don't think it will be worth much on desktops out of the gate vs. very good DDR4 with great timings/lower volts and motherboards that are very mature at this point on both sides. Likely a few years just like DDR4 before you can even see the difference. Very good DDR4 2666 is just about the same as the highest stuff in benchmarks. My 2666 runs 3333 anyway with decent timings and volts. 1-3% is not worth paying for better with timings that just get looser. You almost need a bandwidth test (sandra etc) to show a difference.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12710/cadence-micron-demo-ddr5-subsystem
    Mostly capacity, NOT perf. I'll pass on whatever sticker they slap on it, as I doubt it will be LESS than some great DDR4 and if all I have to gain is MORE, I'll pass. I don't even NEED 32GB in my main PC yet (yes WANT, but no NEED, YET). You'll have to PROVE to me that a new cpu requires it to run ok, or I'll go the cheaper route if it's under 5-10% hit in most of the stuff I do (same as a gpu/cpu, bought 1070ti when a 1080ti was already old...LOL). The rich can blaze a trail for me, I'm happy a year behind with more than one PC to upgrade as it gives me decent hand-me-downs without making me cringe yearly (in and out of my house)...LOL.

Heck my cancelled cell bill buys me a new PC for free every year now anyway. I save $800 a year on that junk (more than cost of my 8700k/mboard/16GB), mom went to ting, she saves about $650 a year ($12 a month usually, I'll go to this when I'm tired of new pc parts yearly in place of cell phone...ROFL). Well, cpu/mem/board, maybe gpu too after we cut cable tv also ages ago (for higher speed internet- news server, vpn, hallmark channel and still save money monthly on cable)...ROFL. Cut cell+cable tv people and you have a free $1000 or more yearly. Boom, free PC+faster internet (biz line for us, can run exchange server etc if you want all year) Did I mention all the free time you have if not on your phone all day? Bonus. Now you have time to upgrade your job skills and seek more money instead of constantly complaining about the price of a new gpu/cpu etc as a few hundred bucks here and there means NOTHING if you're making an extra 5k+ a year. Then you can buy back the phone if desired since your income is UP Upgrade your LIFE, not your phone That said, bring on 7nm, and I'll merrily upgrade all my PC's 2019! Well, only some parts, the rest just keep moving around so to speak...LOL. I have PC Power & Cooling psu's still going 10yrs in. I suspect my seasonics will last even longer as the fans usually NEVER run and are cool all day (buy 2x the watts you need at load and last forever...kind of). Silence is golden also. Only time you hear the PC is vid at loads in gaming. Then again you can buy more gpu than you need and downclock 10% to fix that even. My next purchase will be more vid than I need, so I can do that FINALLY, then again maybe 7nm will give me no noise AND lots of perf.

Oh and if NV ever upgrades their ShieldTV to 7nm and something over 100w, I'm in for that too. I want an android monster for gaming as there are a TON of titles over there I'd want on my TV. Just slap two 7nm socs into a box the size of xbox/ps4 and I'm in, a bonus would be making it DISCRETE capable for upgraders This is how you sell more boxes Nvidia! Make it a REAL gaming box on top of the best streamer. Roku still hasn't got this message, so stuck at 10mil over their entire life, instead of 10mil/year unit sales. Apple took down rimm with games and exchange server. ShieldTV/Roku don't need exchange support, but lacking good gaming is a killer. We are building 3 HTPC's in my family simply because these two haven't figured out how to sell us another box (with gaming!). Dual 7nm socs in a new ShieldTV for xmas NV. Heck put it out and it's an instant purchase in our houses. We are tired of rokus (no dolby etc), and shieldtv is severely lacking PERF at this point (what is it 20nm still?) for all the new unreal 4 etc mobile games coming up, vulkan etc. Get with it NV, gaming is your domain. New roku's are a step BACK from dolby from the first 4 (works), new 4's suck - pass thru sucks! A $40 bluray can do dobly etc with no need for something ELSE to do the decoding.

Registered+
    Thanks

Waiting for RTX 2070 to come down to reasonable price. Got a new CPU and MB end of next year.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • WyldeStile's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 5800x
      • Memory:
      • 16 Gig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 2070
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Haf XB Evo II
      • Monitor(s):
      • CHG70 32"

My GTX 970 has long needed to be upgraded. The prices of the 1070 and now the 2070 have stopped me from upgrading. I'll see what CES brings before I consider upgrading.

That being said, I wouldn't turn down winning that AMD Ryzen Threadripper CPU nor the 2070. ::hint hint::
    Last edited by WyldeStile; 06-01-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks

Whole pc. I need a new one as i aint got one at the mo

Registered+
    Thanks

My main rig broke down before Christmas. ... I guess the motherboad is failing now.
    if that fails, I need to upgrade the whole rig as it is a LGA1155 socket. and i'm using it for 8 years.

Thanks
    • adidan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar Max
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb 3200Mhz Crucial Ballistix Sport
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510 m.2 480Gb / 2xCrucial M500 1Tb0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1080 Mini
      • PSU:
      • 750W EVGA G3
      • Case:
      • CM NR400 Noctua Redux filled
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1440p Iiyama XUB2792QSU

Waiting on the look of Zen2. Need an overdue cpu/mobo/ram upgrade.
    Grab that. Get that. Check it out. Bring that here. Grab anything useful. Take anything good.

Thanks

All of them, might keep the case!

Thanks
    • raygdunn's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte B365M D3H
      • CPU:
      • water cooled i7 9700
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair DDR4-2666
      • Storage:
      • 512Gb M2 SSD (+Seagate 500Gb hidden round the back)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX1660
      • PSU:
      • 550W 140mm fan
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Prolite 22" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • ~36Mb fibre to cabinet

I'm coming up to a i5 processor and motherboard replacement. Upgraded everything else... Since the time windows 7 was released. It has lasted well.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hmm, seems I'm not the only one looking towards Intels 10nm offerings as an eventual upgrade from my beloved Sandy Bridge. Hopefully they'll present something worthy!

If Intel can't put something worthwhile on the table? Well I guess I'll be keeping an even closer eye on AMDs new stuff.

Thanks

My current machine is so archaic that ...

a) I doubt most component upgrades would even fit,
    b) It'd be like fitting a jet engine to Noah's Ark and being suprised when it tore the boat apart, and
    c) as my antiquated old clunker is doing what I need of it .... why bother?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information