Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Intel Core i9-9900T engineering sample listed in online auction

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28,230
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,845 times in 628 posts

    Intel Core i9-9900T engineering sample listed in online auction

    This product is claimed to be a 35W version of the i9-9900K octa-core processor.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,118
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked
    155 times in 105 posts

    Re: Intel Core i9-9900T engineering sample listed in online auction

    Intel: "How do we get a 35w 8c/16t part?"

    Engineer: "Downclock it to within an inch of its life and that means we can use all that junk silicon out back be cause we rushed out an 8c/16t part and because the 14nm is very leaky and the monolithic die was just too big to have consistent high frequency node parts across the board!"

    Intel: "Done!"
    Last edited by Tabbykatze; 28-01-2019 at 11:22 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Under a rusty bucket
    Posts
    247
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    15 times in 10 posts
    • Friesiansam's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Bit
      • CPU:
      • Of
      • Memory:
      • This
      • Storage:
      • Bit
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Of
      • PSU:
      • That
      • Case:
      • Bit
      • Operating System:
      • Of
      • Monitor(s):
      • The
      • Internet:
      • Other

    Re: Intel Core i9-9900T engineering sample listed in online auction

    Mark Tyson, how would you rate the likelihood that this is genuine?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Posts
    225
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    18 times in 9 posts

    Re: Intel Core i9-9900T engineering sample listed in online auction

    So, non informed buyer that will only see i9-9900 will think he will have some super high performance CPu and will end up with something potentially slower than i7 (or even i5)?

    These are all binned CPUs, from garbage bin though... :-)
    The more you live, less you die. More you play, more you die. Isn't it great.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    188
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    11 times in 11 posts

    Re: Intel Core i9-9900T engineering sample listed in online auction

    Quote Originally Posted by darcotech View Post
    So, non informed buyer that will only see i9-9900 will think he will have some super high performance CPu and will end up with something potentially slower than i7 (or even i5)?

    These are all binned CPUs, from garbage bin though... :-)
    Still way faster than my i7 2600k...
    The only issue I have, is that "T" cpu are still priced too high for their performances.

    An example prices from ark.intel.com
    i7-8700K > $359.00 - $370.00
    i7-8700 > $303.00 - $312.00
    i7-8700T > $303.00

    Ridiculous!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,118
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked
    155 times in 105 posts

    Re: Intel Core i9-9900T engineering sample listed in online auction

    Quote Originally Posted by GinoLatino View Post
    The only issue I have, is that "T" cpu are still priced too high for their performances.

    An example prices from ark.intel.com
    i7-8700K > $359.00 - $370.00
    i7-8700 > $303.00 - $312.00
    i7-8700T > $303.00

    Ridiculous!
    That doesn't sound like Intel at all!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Posts
    225
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    18 times in 9 posts

    Re: Intel Core i9-9900T engineering sample listed in online auction

    Quote Originally Posted by GinoLatino View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darcotech View Post
    So, non informed buyer that will only see i9-9900 will think he will have some super high performance CPu and will end up with something potentially slower than i7 (or even i5)?

    These are all binned CPUs, from garbage bin though... :-)
    Still way faster than my i7 2600k...
    The only issue I have, is that "T" cpu are still priced too high for their performances.

    An example prices from ark.intel.com
    i7-8700K > $359.00 - $370.00
    i7-8700 > $303.00 - $312.00
    i7-8700T > $303.00

    Ridiculous!
    My reasoning was regarding present Intel offer. Imagine you see 9900K for 500USD and then 9900T for 450USD?
    Someone my think:

    "Uhh I can buy so cheaper this one, have low power TDP and have great performance almost like 9900K"?


    But they will end up with inferior CPU regarding performance. Of course if you need that 35W, then it is interesting. But then AMD might better answer in that case.
    The more you live, less you die. More you play, more you die. Isn't it great.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,118
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked
    155 times in 105 posts

    Re: Intel Core i9-9900T engineering sample listed in online auction

    Quote Originally Posted by darcotech View Post
    My reasoning was regarding present Intel offer. Imagine you see 9900K for 500USD and then 9900T for 450USD?
    Someone my think:

    "Uhh I can buy so cheaper this one, have low power TDP and have great performance almost like 9900K"?


    But they will end up with inferior CPU regarding performance. Of course if you need that 35W, then it is interesting. But then AMD might better answer in that case.
    Considering AMD just showed equivalent perf in Cinebench as the 9900k with their 8c/16t engineering sample at 65w, there is probably more AMD can give in this area if Zen 2 is shaping up to what the leaks are showing.

    This means, having a 35w part with 8c/16t is its only benefitting factor. It could be an answer to CES2019 or it is just getting rid of trash stock, just like the 9900KF.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    160
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Intel Core i9-9900T engineering sample listed in online auction

    That 9900T would go nicely with those rare H310 motherboards with DDR3 support

    I mean it would go well with this
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/H310M-DS2V-DDR3-rev-10#kf

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •