Thread: AMD enjoys 2nd straight year of revenue & market share growth

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

AMD enjoys 2nd straight year of revenue & market share growth

Dr Lisa Su says that AMD CPUs have gained market share for five quarters in a row.
    Read more.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Re: AMD enjoys 2nd straight year of revenue & market share growth

"Improved profitability"

Still a pretty big loss overall though?

EDIT: No, learn to read.
    Last edited by philehidiot; 30-01-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks

Excellent news, not only for AMD, but for all PC enthusiasts including hardcore Intel fanboys. Why? Well, I'm preaching to the choir on this one, but competition is a tremendous force for good performance and price wise in the tech industry!

Personally, I absolutely cannot wait for a 3000 series (PLEASE!) APU to replace my ageing A10-7870K

Thanks

28mil...LOL. That isn't going to catch NV/Intel. Start charging more, as I said before MARKET SHARE means NOTHING without margin on that share. Down from 150mil the year before too, not a great direction. Still I have faith they'll make some decent money once 64c server chips hit. NO faith in gpu/apu, and for good reason as we see here. They can't seem to launch a product without a price war too, so no NET INCOME until servers hit at 7nm. If they wake up and start charging correctly, maybe income goes UP. This is worse than I even thought they'd do, I thought they'd make ~100mil at least. Not that happy as a shareholder here.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post
    ... Down from 150mil the year before too ...
    Read the chart again. It's up 30 million from the year before - in this quarter last year AMD made a 2 million loss. It's down from the previous quarter, but ALL tech companies have seasonal cycles. It's the year-on-year that matters.

Thanks

I'm not sure nobodyspecial can read as (s)he never answers people who've questioned his/her diatribes.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    I'm not sure nobodyspecial can read as (s)he never answers people who've questioned his/her diatribes.
    That's fine, I'm sure most of us just stop reading their posts as soon as they get to the first FAULTY CAPS LOCK bit.

Thanks

Q3 2018 150mil, Q4 28mil. Your Q4 should be your best Q of the year as this is YOUR season. I was not wrong for the sector being discussed. Q3 is not the big Q for semi. You're not smart enough to know I meant Q instead of Y? You can't figure out what I was saying? Whatever, now you know. Story isn't any better even with my mistake. It's a crap 4th Q, when it should have accelerated from Q3. Please explain that massive dip from 150mil last Q. Back to school can be a pretty decent Q usually too, but it's no Q4 for the tech sector in most cases. There is a reason new iphones etc launch end of Sept or so. Xmas is great, even enterprise is busy usually wasting budgets at year end just so they can keep the same budget or raise it a year later.

YoY is NOT the most important thing (if that's all you look at when trading stocks, you're going to lose money...LOL). When your "cycle" is best in Q4 EVERY year, and everyone BUT you is doing great Q4 (see MSFT, INTEL, AMZN who sells tech toys, etc etc), YOU have a problem. Xmas is the best Q for tech toys barring some oddity. If you are massively down from Q3 in this sector, again, YOU have an issue right? NV same deal, launched a product without a benchmark people could run to see new features (DLSS/RT/VRS should have been in at least ONE game before launching so it could be tested). Well, what you get is reviews that act like those features don't exist even if benchmarked months before in beta tests showing great results. See digitalfoundry's youtube channel for benchmarks of the features mentioned. Beta in cases, yeah, but impressive. Waiting a few months to showcase your new features, with no competition should be a no brainer, but nobody is perfect They probably didn't count on everyone ignoring what is there.

I see no point in responding to dumb/ignorant statements in most cases People name calling, BSing, etc, if you don't argue with the data, why bother (I can't read?...You don't read my posts)?:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Graham%27s_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement.svg

You said something about data actually, so I respond (followed by an ignorant personal attack, clearly I can read, I'm talking stocks here...ROFL) Revenue up 23% but income? NOT. And in Q4 no less. Most profitable year since 2011...Uh, the year they fired Dirk, who wanted a CPU king they now chase and said APU/console crap sucks...LOL. He was right, and so was NV for passing on console junk (with no margin) for this exact reason. Hire Dirk back please. For 7yrs your board/management have been wrong, now you finally make money when you do what he asked ~8yrs ago...ROFL. At 7nm AMD will be cpu king (you can argue about how long, but it's a fact vs. Intel 14nm), and thus the best year again since 2011 Dirk right AGAIN.

But here's your YoY info if it makes you happy...LOL... Revenue up 1.2B YoY, but income from -2m to 28mil. How many new products launched? This is what I mean by SHARE means nothing, if it doesn't come with MARGIN/NET income. How can you sell 1.2B MORE of crap and only make 28mil on it (that isn't 60% margins...ROFLMAO)? Even 120mil would only be 10% on that revenue. You are either selling the wrong stuff or pricing wrong. Seems AMD is pretty decent product wise (HBM consumer crap not withstanding which kills every consumer card with it), which leaves you with PRICE as the reason for no net income as I've said many times.

You can do great for the first 3Q's of the year (say a Billion a Q like NV), and TANK Q4 (500-600mil this Q4? NET?), and that will be VERY relevant data to my stock. If that is not NORMAL for your company (NV increased every Q this year except for Q4 which tanked?), it is VERY telling about the state of affairs for your business right? Q3 NVDA revenue was 3.18B, but Q4 about to hit 2.2B. Considering you just launched new cards (bulk of your business), and you have the perf leaders, should your Q4 be 1B shorter than Q3 when you're an XMAS business winner yearly? Consensus was 3.4B before the cuts from NV (as noted Q4 supposed to be bigger), which again, shows QoQ pretty important & Q4 year before 2.9B, so coming in WAY below year before Q also if you like that way better. I'd say look at both and many other factors, but you should get the point. Bad ANY way you slice it if you ALREADY owned shares, but a great buying point in a few weeks if NOT in already I've wasted enough of my time on you

Thanks

Learn how to make an actual argument, and maybe you'll get a response See where your personal attack is on that chart? Please understand how you're supposed to react to REAL arguments in that chart. Attack the data, not the person. Look in the mirror Wake me when you actually make a valid point about my data. I answer a lot when the DATA is attacked. You tell me I can't read and am, bitter about something? The usual idiots would just respond with the same (you're an idiot, your mom sucks, YOU can't read either, blah blah). OK, whatever, how about the data? I usually take it as an open admission I'm right when name calling/personal attacks ensue instead of valid arguments rebutting the core point of my statements. Then again, it's hard to do that when one person comes chalk full of data points, and all you have is BS and name calling (blah blah, I don't like your hair, your country sucks...ROFL) You can't just say, "you're not right". It would help if you'd actually give something to rebut, instead of "you suck".

OP made a valid argument. I made a mistake (said Y meant Q, oops)...But the data remains. It is unchanged no matter which way you cut it. It's bad and a better bad is still bad especially when you are doing great chip wise (perf on cpu good, 7nm coming great for a while at least), great revenue wise, 7nm before competition, market share wise moving up, 80% of sales on cpu coming from NEW products, etc. Yet you blew Q4? Q1/Q2/Q3 was 81, 116, 102mil, then Q4 38mil? WTH? QoQ important too. Operating expenses dropped 110mil+ also. A pretty massive cut, and you still got killed? I'm amazed the stock didn't get killed but I guess most was baked in already with the massive drop in share price recently. That goes for NV too, as I don't expect shares to drop below $130 or so if it's bad as they say (already more than 1/2 off today roughly), but if it's worse than said, ok get ready for a discount. If they announce 38mil like AMD, get ready for a major slide as that would be big news IMHO. I'm arguing for AMD to make more NET INCOME (and own the stock...ROFL), but you call it a bitter attack? I'm confused. I want them to make more money, but you call it what? What you call a diatribe, I call DATA, which is valuable to stock buyers even if you don't like the data (you can run before you get killed) IF you own 1/3 of the discrete market but make 1/10 the other guy who owns ~2/3 (and this is the best in 7yrs), you're doing it wrong. PERIOD. IF it's been worse for the last 7-8yrs (losses basically, 8-9B over the life of the company BTW, 1.5B in the last 4-5yrs), again, you're doing it wrong. It's a better bad YoY, but this Q shows major weakness vs. the first 3.

Feel free to question my "diatribe". But look at that chart again first or expect me to probably ignore you unless I'm bored or on vacation ROFL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    That's fine, I'm sure most of us just stop reading their posts as soon as they get to the first FAULTY CAPS LOCK bit.
    Caps worked great, button fine, you saw it, responded with no argument like most attackers on sites these days (much like trump hater comments, I don't like his hair, how he talks, blah blah, I however care about results, er, uh, DATA). Point made.

You just did the same...LOL. I answered too. See? It works. You're worried about how I say it, instead of what it means and people like that will always complain about other people being right (or successful) as emotions rule you, instead of facts. I hope you don't buy stocks like this. You should be more worried about what the report actually says, not how the CEO spins it. Get a life. I'LL CAP ALL DAY if desired, especially if it drives whiners crazy, as it is freedom of speech and you're free to move along any time you like. Right? Go back to twitter/facebook where haters belong and text is shorter for you (won't have to ignore much data there either) I won't have to see your posts there (I'll stop wasting my time too, bonus), as I don't have accounts on any social sites (too many politically correct idiots - that's a fact too).

Maybe repeating it one of you will read it and get how debate really works...LOL. OR, just keep trying to make everyone type like you...ROFL. WE WON'T. I digress...Expect more caps NOW...LOL.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Q3 2018 150mil, Q4 28mil. Your Q4 should be your best Q of the year as this is YOUR season. I was not wrong for the sector being discussed. Q3 is not the big Q for semi.
    That's really odd, because in 2017 AMD's Q3 was bigger than their Q2 and Q4 as well! it's almost like different companies can have different seasonal variation. Who'd've thought it?

You're not smart enough to know I meant Q instead of Y? You can't figure out what I was saying?

I see no point in responding to dumb/ignorant statements in most cases People name calling, BSing, etc, ...
    Oh, the irony...

Thanks

Learn how to make an actual argument, and maybe you'll get a response
    And yet here you are answering a supposed personal attack when all previous attempts at engaging with you on a reasonable level have failed.

And FWIW what i said wasn't a personal attack, it was a question followed by a statement of fact.

Also FWIW i would respond to the propositions you've made but i feel I'd be wasting mine and everyone else's time as you've made it clear you're more interested in calling people idiots, telling them they're ignorant and dumb, and probably, as i just can't bring myself to read the rest of what you've said, a load more insults.
    Last edited by Corky34; 01-02-2019 at 09:38 AM.

bios curious
    Thanks
    • Mr_Jon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock AB350 Pro4
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 48GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 EVO NVME
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6750XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define XL R2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung C32JG50 WQHD @ 144hz

Learn how to make an actual argument, and maybe you'll get a response
    Pretty SURE the next post after theirs WAS a response, what with the DIRECT quote of their POST.

14. Received thanks from:

Corky34 (01-02-2019)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Caps worked great, button fine, you saw it, responded with no argument like most attackers on sites these days (much like trump hater comments, I don't like his hair, how he talks, blah blah, I however care about results, er, uh, DATA). Point made.
    OK, please take my comment as a request for a more concise post with less repetition of what clearly no-one else here agrees with.

I just can't read your posts, that one was a direct response to me yet I didn't get to the end of it. That's pretty rare for me to give up reading something.

Thanks

I don't like having aneurysms so i don't try to read their posts too much.

There is absolutely no coherency, it is a literal unfiltered splurge onto the keyboard.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hopefully this means someone can now make a top end GPU and not charge through the nose for it!!

Thread Information