Thread: Windows Lite abandons Live Tiles - is it starting a trend?

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Windows Lite abandons Live Tiles - is it starting a trend?

And the new Chrome-OS rival won't provide any option for upgrading to Windows 10.
    Read more.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Re: Windows Lite abandons Live Tiles - is it starting a trend?

The only place live tiles made sense was in mobile/touch devices. As soon as windows phone 8 died so should live tiles.

Old Geezer
    Thanks

Live tiles are not a problem, just right click and select "turn live tile off". How difficult is that?

The Ace
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Friesiansam View Post
    Live tiles are not a problem, just right click and select "turn live tile off". How difficult is that?
    Exactly and most people don't have the patience to press their right mouse button and complain more unnecessarily.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    The only place live tiles made sense was in mobile/touch devices. As soon as windows phone 8 died so should live tiles.
    Why is that? We've been using desktop shortcuts for years, live tiles aren't that dissimilar.

Thanks

The weather app makes good use of a live tile.

Thanks

Not a fan but don't dislike them either
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by loftie View Post
    ... We've been using desktop shortcuts for years, live tiles aren't that dissimilar.
    I don't know about you, but none of my desktop shortcuts show updated information from the application they launch. Am I just doing it wrong?!

I've got nothing against live tiles in and of themselves, and some of them are quite useful (like the Email and Calendar ones on my Win Mo work phone), but then you've got things like contacts that just scrolls variations on a head silhouette around because I'm on a work phone and no-one has a contact picture. As with so many things, they were a niche benefit that everyone jumped on and ruined.

On the laptop/desktop, I never look at them ... all they do is take up space and occasionally run a distracting animation. They'd be better replaced with desktop gadgets (IMNSHO, of course ).

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    ... We've been using desktop shortcuts for years, live tiles aren't that dissimilar.
    I don't know about you, but none of my desktop shortcuts show updated information from the application they launch. Am I just doing it wrong?!
    I'd probably highlight the part where I said they aren't that dissimilar. I mean they are slightly different in size by default to a desktop shortcut, they display information by default unlike a desktop shortcut and they are actioned with a single click. But you click them and then run stuff and they display an image/icon, I don't understand why people say they belong in a tablet/phone environment.

I've got nothing against live tiles in and of themselves, and some of them are quite useful (like the Email and Calendar ones on my Win Mo work phone), but then you've got things like contacts that just scrolls variations on a head silhouette around because I'm on a work phone and no-one has a contact picture. As with so many things, they were a niche benefit that everyone jumped on and ruined.

On the laptop/desktop, I never look at them ... all they do is take up space and occasionally run a distracting animation. They'd be better replaced with desktop gadgets (IMNSHO, of course ).
    I use the email, calendar and weather ones on my desktop/tablet/phone. All the others I've turned off because I don't need the information from them. I suppose they could remove the animation for the tile, then it'd be less distracting for you, but I'd find widgets and live tiles equally distracting personally, which luckily is not distracting at all. I understand that not everything needs a live tile - groove music, photos, MS store etc, but for those they can just be turned off. Maybe off by default should be the way they go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkly View Post
    The weather app makes good use of a live tile.
    LoL that only one I keep on

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Not a fan but don't dislike them either
    I don't dislike them either .... providing I can turn them off. If, as stated earlier, they can be (quickly and easily) turned off, then I don't see a problem. Those that like them can use them and those that don't .... don't. No problem.

Then again, as I don't use W10, what do I know? Or care?

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

I'd probably highlight the part where I said they aren't that dissimilar.
    OK, we're working towards "aren't that dissimilar"...

… I mean they are slightly different in size by default to a desktop shortcut, they display information by default unlike a desktop shortcut and they are actioned with a single click.

But you click them and then run stuff and they display an image/icon …
    So by your own reckoning that's 3 differences and 2 similarities? That's 60% different. I'd say that's pretty dissimilar.

... I don't understand why people say they belong in a tablet/phone environment. ...
    It's mostly situational. On a phone/tablet where you have a tiled homepage they're right there when you go back to your home screen. OTOH how often do you open the start menu on desktop? I have almost everything I do regularly on a desktop shortcut or pinned to my taskbar. I hit the start menu maybe twice a day. That's why I'd go more for desktop widgets, or even the old Vista sidebar. I look at my desktop way more often than I open the start menu...

When I go to the start menu it's because I'm looking for something I don't often use. The last thing I want is to be distracted by numerous smart tiles trying to give me "useful" information (surely that's what the notification bar is for?). I just think there's better ways to present the information the live tiles are normally used to convey, without intruding into parts of the UI where they're more often than not distracting.

Registered+
    Thanks

Never in the start menu long enough to notice any live tiles, just hit the windows key type what I need and hit enter

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.8" AOC 144Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

I have no great issue with live tiles. What I don't like is the lack control and organisation around the rest of it. I want a full screen start, with organisable and expandable menus.

15. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (30-01-2019)

Registered+
    Thanks

OK, we're working towards "aren't that dissimilar"...

So by your own reckoning that's 3 differences and 2 similarities? That's 60% different. I'd say that's pretty dissimilar.
    I see what you're saying, however I'd throw in they're both quadrilateral, they can both change size, now it's 4:3 in my favour /jk In all seriousness though, the few pixels difference in height/width is a non issue. Anyone that has tiny desktop shortcuts would be better served with the small live tile, people who have massive shortcuts would be better served with the large tile. Actioned with a single vs double click is a bigger difference I'll give you that, luckily for me I don't accidently randomly click places by mistake so this isn't a problem for me, IIRC desktop shortcuts have the option to be either 1 or 2 clicks to action, they should have left the choice in IMO. As for the info, they can be turned off (woo go choice!), making them like a shortcut.

It's mostly situational. On a phone/tablet where you have a tiled homepage they're right there when you go back to your home screen. OTOH how often do you open the start menu on desktop? I have almost everything I do regularly on a desktop shortcut or pinned to my taskbar. I hit the start menu maybe twice a day. That's why I'd go more for desktop widgets, or even the old Vista sidebar. I look at my desktop way more often than I open the start menu...

I agree, this is why I felt the fullscreen start menu was a better idea, or a desktop with live tiles - though again these ideas are fairly similar. Turning on/off the tiles you want so, yea, you're not bombarded with info if the entire screen is flipping over and showing you stuff.

When I go to the start menu it's because I'm looking for something I don't often use. The last thing I want is to be distracted by numerous smart tiles trying to give me "useful" information (surely that's what the notification bar is for?). I just think there's better ways to present the information the live tiles are normally used to convey, without intruding into parts of the UI where they're more often than not distracting.
    I think this is more down to use patterns, when I open my start menu i always briefly glance at the email tile, but that's it tbh.

Registered+
    Thanks

Live tiles were just UI clutter.

Feels like it's all been a big firkin experiment. Windows 10 showing signs of getting sensible as the end of Windows 7 approaches?

Who knew?

Thread Information