Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Raspberry Pi Org has opened its first high street retail outlet

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28,080
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,844 times in 627 posts

    Raspberry Pi Org has opened its first high street retail outlet

    And it has launched a new starter kit of parts - everything you need except the TV.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    343
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked
    64 times in 48 posts

    Re: Raspberry Pi Org has opened its first high street retail outlet

    Arghh.

    They had me right up to the last line of the article ....

    It is a cashless store, so please take along your credit or debit card.
    Dammit.

    Oh well. Won't bother then.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    332
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    22 times in 16 posts
    • Bagpuss's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z97 Maximus VII Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel 4690K @ 4.6Ghz (1.25vlts)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB HyperX DDR3 2133Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1x256GB SSD 1x3TB 1x2TB 7200rpm Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Black Edition
      • PSU:
      • Superflower Leadex 650w Gold
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 450D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG279Q 165Hz Gsync
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Fibre 350Mbit

    Re: Raspberry Pi Org has opened its first high street retail outlet

    In today's spirit of someone being offended and OUTRAGED!! I'm going to make a complaint against them for being clearly cash(ist).

    Discrimination against my bank notes will not stand!

  4. Received thanks from:

    MLyons (10-02-2019),Saracen999 (08-02-2019)

  5. #4
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Banff, AB
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    3 times in 3 posts

    Re: Raspberry Pi Org has opened its first high street retail outlet

    "It is a cashless store, so please take along your credit or debit card." how is this a thing? I mean, isn't it unlawful to not accept cash at a physical store?

  6. #5
    Senior Member spacein_vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Darkest Northamptonshire
    Posts
    1,113
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked
    250 times in 170 posts
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B85M-G
      • CPU:
      • i5 4460 3.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Crucial DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD, 256GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus RX-480 Dual OC 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Antec Mini P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Origin Fibre Max

    Re: Raspberry Pi Org has opened its first high street retail outlet

    Quote Originally Posted by Maboof View Post
    "It is a cashless store, so please take along your credit or debit card." how is this a thing? I mean, isn't it unlawful to not accept cash at a physical store?
    No. Its illegal not to accept legal tender for a debt. As this is an instantaneous purchase there is no debt.

    Separately those selling goods have the right to refuse a transaction for any (or no,) reason. In this case because you want to pay cash.

    So essentially they're taking advantage of those two points.

  7. #6
    Hexus.Jet TeePee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Gallup, NM
    Posts
    4,723
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked
    541 times in 296 posts

    Re: Raspberry Pi Org has opened its first high street retail outlet

    Why would you not want reward points?

    The hard part for me is encountering cash-only....

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    343
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked
    64 times in 48 posts

    Re: Raspberry Pi Org has opened its first high street retail outlet

    Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    ....
    Separately those selling goods have the right to refuse a transaction for any (or no,) reason. In this case because you want to pay cash.

    So essentially they're taking advantage of those two points.
    Oooh, I gotta jump on that.

    While taking the gist of your point, not "any reason".

    Shops are generally not obliged to serve anybody unless the reason they chose not to contravenes a 'superior' law.

    Try telling a restaurant guest "I won't serve you because you're black"cand see what happens. Or, at least in theory, because they're white.

    Or, if you run a guest house, try refusing a couple because it turns out they're two gay men.

    See what happens.

    But generally, of course, you are quite correct about the principle.

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    343
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked
    64 times in 48 posts

    Re: Raspberry Pi Org has opened its first high street retail outlet

    Quote Originally Posted by TeePee View Post
    Why would you not want reward points?

    The hard part for me is encountering cash-only....
    Is that generic or asking me?

    If the latter, the short answer is that price, at least within the margins of reward point schemes, is not my primary concern. I don't really give a hoot.

    lLonger answer is privacy, data grabbing, warehousing, analytics, invasion of privacy, blah, blah.blah.

    My ethos is maximising privacy, in so far as it is possible, implies minimisingevery last single data point available about me. Then, if and only if the benefit to me clearly and significantly outweighs that fundamental principle, will I give up that data point.

    I want these analytics companies, and their clients, knowing the absolute minimum about me and, preferably, nothing at all. That includes whether I'm nerdy enough to he buying a Pi, or what type of music I buy, what I choose in restaurants or even how often I eat out, and so on, ad nsuseum.

    There are benefits to some companies knowing some things about us, not least, credit scoring. But, as I have no debt, cannot think of any reason for wanting credit beyond existing credit card(s), and plan on never applying for loans again (and haven't for, oh, + years) I don't really give a hoot about credit scoring or credit record either. I don't even wsnt a monthly phone contract. Or, for that matter, a mobile phone.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    14 times in 13 posts
    • matts-uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Apple iMac
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 3.4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • RAID5 on the twin Xeon server I keep in the airing cupboard
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 7970M
      • Case:
      • A lurvely slimline, all in one aluminium number.
      • Operating System:
      • OSX, Centos, Windows.
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LED (Apple), 24" LED (Apple), 2 x 20" TFT Dell
      • Internet:
      • ADSL rubbish

    Re: Raspberry Pi Org has opened its first high street retail outlet

    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    In today's spirit of someone being offended and OUTRAGED!! I'm going to make a complaint against them for being clearly cash(ist).

    Discrimination against my bank notes will not stand!
    Don't blame RPI blame the banks!

    The only thing that costs me more than cash to process is a PayPal 'card holder not present' transaction where the PP fee is greater than our markup on goods in most cases.

    Processing cash payments costs me a relative fortune. Our insurance premium is inflated for holding cash on premises. Then their is the transaction fee, which is based on both the number of deposits and the value of each deposit. Then we have to pay our finance lady to transpose cash transactions into the accounts package. Depositing in our nearest branch is a drive away, and keeps getting further. As more branches close the wait in the queue keeps getting longer too. What was a lunch-time walk is now a morning's work. A minimum wage employee (even) costs me somewhere between £15 and £20 per hour (~30p per minute) by the time we have paid NI, pension, holiday, ssp and invisibles (dead time, heat and light, business rates etc).

    I imagine the RPI Store will make some economies of scale that I can not but ultimately they are faced with the same 'bricks and mortar' challenges. Processing cash for predominately small transactions with wafer thin margins is commercially unviable.

    The banks are determined to transition to a cash-less society as it provides them with a per-transaction profit model that infers greater control of the markets.

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    2,532
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    94 times in 77 posts

    Re: Raspberry Pi Org has opened its first high street retail outlet

    Interesting point - as a shop owner you are legally able to use any reason to not sell somebody something or accept the payment they offer
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    343
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked
    64 times in 48 posts

    Re: Raspberry Pi Org has opened its first high street retail outlet

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Interesting point - as a shop owner you are legally able to use any reason to not sell somebody something or accept the payment they offer
    No. As above, not "any" reason.

    The general case is no shop is obliged to sell to anybody. The customer is offering to buy,,and the seller can decline to accept. Same applies to providing services. But there are "reasons" explicitly prohibited by legislation that overrides that basic case, most notably discrimination legislation. Try telling someone you won't sell to them because they're black, or gay, or muslim, etc.

    Quite rightly, "any" reason isn't the case.

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    2,532
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    94 times in 77 posts

    Re: Raspberry Pi Org has opened its first high street retail outlet

    Well you don't quite say it's because of a racial reason do you. Enough to say he seemed shifty and the money appears to be fake....

    Again... *any* reason probably not the best way to say it but I'm tired and ill. But the point is you do not have to accept a form of payment if you are not happy with it. That includes the woman who turns up with £5 worth of 1p's in her pocket. As happened to me a few times. Obvs if you make a habit of not accepting a payment your business will cease to be But the sentiment stands. If you are not happy with the payment don't accept it
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,375
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    120 times in 99 posts
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce GTX460 SC
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

    Re: Raspberry Pi Org has opened its first high street retail outlet

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    That includes the woman who turns up with £5 worth of 1p's in her pocket.
    But that one is better, it isnt legal tender, so you are fully entitled to refuse it, rather than just "not being happy" about it.

    To pay £5 in a single denomination of coins, they need to be 5p or higher, 1 and 2ps are only legal up to 20p.

  15. #14
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    9,566
    Thanks
    466
    Thanked
    979 times in 833 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 2600X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 28 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Raspberry Pi Org has opened its first high street retail outlet

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    That includes the woman who turns up with £5 worth of 1p's in her pocket.
    I didn't twig until recently that the self service tills at the supermarket have a little coin bin that copes superbly with dumping a bag of small coins into.

    When at the office I've started taking a bag with all the small change that has accumulated around the house, and using it to buy lunch. It's a bit slow in counting so I usually tip too much in but being a machine it just counts it up without complaint and spits a few coins back as change (getting the amount right would mean being careful and slow and I don't want a queue building up behind me). I wouldn't want to buy the weekly shop like that, but a £2.50 sandwich in mostly 5p pieces is pretty quick.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •