Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Virgin Media will launch 500Mbps broadband in the spring

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Virgin Media will launch 500Mbps broadband in the spring

I'd rather give up a portion of download speed to have a better upload any day. Virgin uses a 20:1 ratio download:upload which makes cloud backup/storage solutions less useful than they could be.

Granted, if you're on ADSL then 100:5Mbps might seem like luxury but I think the BT network based fibre is better balanced with 30Mbps upload.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    Spoke to one of my relatives who works for VM. Being tested in spring but should be available Jan 2020.

Pricing hasn't been confirmed as of yet.
    500Mbps or DOCSIS 3.1? Because that's not what it sounded like from VM if you mean 500Mbps, unless they're planning on offering it to business connections first like they did with 350Mb.

Thanks

Most annoying (and as much ridiculous) fact is I read from time to time about "great news" that Virgin upgraded its broadband speed and...
    don't know whether to cry or to laugh...
    they can't cable my estate since few years !

Unbelievable. Their car labeled "Cable my street !" parks nearby my house, I've notified them about my willing to change broadband provider & explaining this is large estate (not just few houses), many potential customers, and WHOLE STREET BROADBANDED JUST 30 YARDS AWAY, I wrote large message as well (when it was possible to add some commentaries in the past) and nothing. For long years.

Marketing in Virgin looks like pre-school. Focused on nice looking adverts like it was most important. Lol.
    Such a malice of fate. I wouldn't be surprised it they ended up as a bancrupt with tons of marketing adverts in storages.

Thanks

Anyone care to ask them when they'll be giving customers IPv6? their customers have been asking for at least the 8 years that I've been with them and there is still no answer...

Registered+
    Thanks

Shame virgin doesn't do the area I just moved to.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    @Troopa: You should consider substantiating what you're saying, Virgin have recently invested huge amounts of money to upgrade existing networks with new equipment both in the headend and out in the access network, both for capacity reasons and in preparation for DOCSIS 3.1. They're also investing heavily in rolling out FTTP/RFoG to many new areas, so I wonder what exactly you'd like them to 'invest' in that they're not already doing?

It's very easy to sit back and criticise companies, and it's hard for large companies to appear perfect in the public eye, but unjustified criticism is unfair and helps no-one.

Virgin Media is currently part of Liberty Global rather than an independent company, and with that they have plenty of scope for investment.

WRT price rises - why do you think these are unjustified or unfair when compared to the rest of the market who also raise prices when the need arises? VM have continued to invest in offering higher speeds to customers, and said customers are using far more bandwidth year-on-year, which despite what many people think is not 'free' or 'unlimited' at the ISP level. How else besides customer bills would you expect a telecoms company to make profits?

@ik9000: No issues with any streaming on SH3 here (standard router mode for now, haven't bothered switching to modem mode plus own router for now even though I used to do that), including Netflix/Prime/iPlayer/etc on a fire stick/computer/Virgin box/etc. I don't really use VPNs often but have managed to use them successfully through the connection with no noticeable issues. Wouldn't touch anything like alexa with a bargepole so couldn't comment on that. I'm not suggesting you switch for the sake of it, but with the latest firmware it's not necessarily the concern it once was if e.g. it's the only thing putting you off a speed upgrade you wanted. It was a factor in putting me off switching back from BT a while ago so I also waited for better firmware and feedback on forums.

The hardware isn't perfect and it will be interesting to see what the SH4 offers, but I'm OK with it for now.
    I've had the overselling/oversubscription (or overutilization as Virgin would have it) issue in the past and it was a nightmare.

I see that Virgin have signed up to Offcom's code of practice, which I believe is due to come into play right around now, and am waiting to see what comes of it.
    Would love to have Virgin's download speeds again, but not if it means being trapped in a contract where I'm paying for 200mB and getting only 2MB.

Right now I'm with EE. Absolutely rock solid, no dropouts, 70 down and a wonderful 20 up! If Virgin could offer 200 down/20 up and no throttling I would jump ship.

Are you saying that they have solved the oversubscription issue, yes or no?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarJoe View Post
    Are you saying that they have solved the oversubscription issue, yes or no?
    That would depend on your area - oversubscription/congestion can be a problem on any ISP, and I agree it is or was a big problem in some areas for Virgin (it's partly why I left a few years ago). I know they've sorted it in many areas along with major network upgrades but I couldn't say whether that's also true in your area. How long is it since you left? If it's been more than a few years and you want faster speeds then maybe consider one of their one-month rolling broadband packages to check what it's like, then maybe move to another contract if it's good? Alternatively, check with neighbours as congestion issues will generally affect at least a few streets' worth of customers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information