Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
I have a laptop at work with a Thunderbolt 3 "dock" so I can have a pair of screens and a proper keyboard and mouse. I hate that pile of junk with a passion, enough that a very expensive i7 laptop now sits idle as I cobbled together a PC using an old AMD FM1 Trinity APU and mini ITX board I had kicking about. Yes that's a noticeable drop in performance, but I'm not constantly swearing at it and can actually get on with my work so productivity is up.

I can only hope that proper adoption as a USB standard sorts it out.
Interesting - we use Lenovo X1laptops and the lenovo TB3 docks and both work great (including with my own Dell TB3 laptop). Each dock needs to be trusted by the laptop (or it falls back to USB3) which might be causing issues. Ironically, the worst experience i've had with TB3 is with that dock and an Intel NUC box that really did not place nice together.

On my own desk i've had this setup for 2 years now - the cable did go funky after a year (screen dropping out ocasionally), but flipping it over (it is USB....) fixed that and it's been fine since. I suspect your issue is software, but given it doesn't work, that's now a great help...

USB4 will inevitably be followed soon by TB4 with 80gbps.