• EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Re: Epic Games Store search functionality goes live

Quote Originally Posted by ByteMyAscii View Post
    I have seen so many simply refuse to buy on any platform that isn't Steam, because of the inconvenience.
    "Add non-Steam game to Library"
    Created for such a situation, no?

Besides, I bought one of the ASSassin's Creed games specifically on Steam, yet Steam still requires me to install Uplay and auto-opens it every time I launch the game from Steam... So a big to the convenience crowd!

Quote Originally Posted by ByteMyAscii View Post
    Without exclusives there would be no reason for most to pick the Epic Store, or any other over Steam if they had complete freedom of choice.
    Subnautica for FREE, though??!!
    In fact, I do know two people who refused to install/bother with Epic because that particular promotion had expired.

HEXUS.social member Disturbedguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rog Strix Z370-H Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair something or other
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Samsung 960 EVO (250GB) 1 x Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

I want to know where this "bugging" thing is coming from, if you don't want to be bugged by Epic / Ubisoft / EA / Steam launchers, do as I do, stop them starting with the system then just launch them when you need them..

Surely having more than one platform is good for consumers, as in theory it *should* bring competition which *could* bring cheaper prices, as opposed to the days of Steam having a huge monopoly and being able to essentially charge what they want..
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It didn't fall off, it merely became insufficient at it's purpose and got a bit droopy...

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbedguy View Post
    I want to know where this "bugging" thing is coming from, if you don't want to be bugged by Epic / Ubisoft / EA / Steam launchers, do as I do, stop them starting with the system then just launch them when you need them..

Surely having more than one platform is good for consumers, as in theory it *should* bring competition which *could* bring cheaper prices, as opposed to the days of Steam having a huge monopoly and being able to essentially charge what they want..
    The problem with not starting it with the system is that when you do start it, you have to then go through the updates it forces upon you. One lot for the launcher, one lot for the game and THEN you get to play. My gaming life consists of finding 20-30 minutes here and there where I can game, not whole evenings any more. Therefore these [insert expletive of choice here] systems which force updates I neither need nor want (I single play almost all the time now) upon me kinda ruin any chance I have of fitting in a quick level here and there. For me, it makes it less likely I'll buy a game on a particular platform because the way it forces updates does not fit in with the time I have available to play and the manner in which I get that time.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I do utterly see your point and I do recognise I'm probably in the minority here. The problem is I have far too much I want to do and not enough time to do it in when I am still able to do it. Last night for example was spend reading and making notes on Nietzsche, night before that some maths problem I'd been working on for ages and in between all of that doing household stuff like cooking so my missus can go out on an evening and doesn't end up doing it all... gaming is less of a piority these days and updates done in this manner make it more of a hassle to get any time to play.
    Last edited by philehidiot; 13-03-2019 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbedguy View Post
    Yes, if they actually offered the same products at a better price or with another incentive Simply trying to create their own monopoly by bribing developers with huge payouts for exclusives doesn't help anyone, and actively reduces competition.

No one would be complaining if they simply had their own storefront and tried to compete on service/price/features.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    The problem with not starting it with the system is that when you do start it, you have to then go through the updates it forces upon you.
    Fine. Don't complain when some kid in Russia hacks your now-vulnerable account and gifts himself a load of games, though.

The problem is I have far too much I want to do and not enough time to do it in when I am still able to do it. Last night for example was spend reading and making notes on Nietzsche, night before that some maths problem I'd been working on for ages and in between all of that doing household stuff like cooking so my missus can go out on an evening and doesn't end up doing it all...
    Pfft.... welcome to adulthood.
    I not only have a massive backlog of Steam games I've never even played, I have whole series of TV shows and films I've not yet seen, books all waiting to be read, wood to be made into things, and so on... You don't even want to know what children will take away from your time.

gaming is less of a piority these days and updates done in this manner make it more of a hassle to get any time to play.
    Even with my abysmal internet speed, it rarely takes longer than a cup of coffee to update everything across 4 or 5 launchers. If it does, start the updates when you get home and go do your housework/cooking/Nietzsching while it's updating.

Thanks

[insert joke about how you'll be able to search for your Steam games in the Epic store, too, because it's pulled all your data in]

Seriously, though, if you're not running all the launchers in the background all the time, it's not a big deal. If you play MMOs, you should already be used to many of them requiring their own little launchers, even when launched from Steam.

On the other hand, I've seen Steam abandon a hardware platform before, and seen games that were working the day before become unusable when that last Steam update hit. (It happened when they stopped 32-bit Mac support. What they said was they were dropping support before a certain OS version, but in practice some Macs couldn't be upgraded because they only had 32-bit firmware, even though they had 64-bit processors. And you couldn't roll back to before the update.) So I know anything that requires a launcher is basically just a rental.

For games I want "forever," I have to get them DRM-free, like from GOG.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information