Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epic Games Store search functionality goes live

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Epic Games Store search functionality goes live

And through 2019 we should see the store not just add new exclusive titles but transform.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Epic Games Store search functionality goes live

Epic fail store.

Thanks
    • rob4001's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte z97
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1231 v3
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 256GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1660 super
      • PSU:
      • Sliverstone 500w SFX-L
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG13 mitx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Comcast 75MB

This is not the right type of competition steam needed

Thanks
    • afiretruck's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X399 Designare Ex
      • CPU:
      • AMD Threadripper 1900X
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 32GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 2x 250GB NVMe + 2x 1TB SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX Vega 64 + GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RMi 850
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R6
      • Operating System:
      • Linux Mint 19
      • Monitor(s):
      • Screeny

Has there been any word on Linux support from Epic?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by afiretruck View Post
    Has there been any word on Linux support from Epic?
    *J. Jameson: ha ha ha ha, oh you're serious*.meme

6. Received thanks from:

afiretruck (12-03-2019)

Thanks

As long as Fortnite remains popular the Epic store will have generous funding so it's not going away any time soon, kids will eventually grow out of Fortnite but that could take many years.

Tim Sweeny considers this his moment to take on pretty much everyone.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

I do NOT want this. I'm sick of all the different launchers with different stores, different updates and different password requirements. All nagging me with their new "features" - if I wanted to chat with friends I'd use a program to chat with friends. I don't want people pestering me whilst I'm trying to play a game. You're trying to escape the world for 20 minutes and you get messages popping up asking how's the wedding planning going. No, I don't care you've given me a free item for a game I don't own or that I've been invited to play a game by someone I haven't spoken to for years. And I REALLY don't care about your "news" popping up in my face advertising your latest attempt to woo the ladies with casual gaming. I don't care how many "U points" I've earned by playing my game and I really don't care for you trying to get me to spend them on rubbish I don't care about.

Go away, leave me alone. I'm trying to play a game, not be bothered, pestered, poked and prodded with the aim of being wrung out for as much cash as you can extract from me.

EDIT: Oh and I WAS going to buy Metro Exodus. It seemed like it was a decent plot driven game. But I went on Steam and found they'd screwed over Steam users in favour of their own platform. As a result, I don't want more pointless nagging rubbish on my PC and so I haven't bought it. I daresay I won't bother. Or I'll buy it and then install a cracked, pirate edition to make it so playing a game doesn't result in just pure frustration, mandatory updates before I can play and pointless nagging from a marketing team who jizz themselves over the idea of having direct access to my desktop.

HEXUS.social member Disturbedguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rog Strix Z370-H Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair something or other
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Samsung 960 EVO (250GB) 1 x Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkly View Post
    Epic fail store.

Are you going to expand on that, or is that the extent of your opinion?
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It didn't fall off, it merely became insufficient at it's purpose and got a bit droopy...

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

No got it installed yet but will install as/when needed.

People support steam but don't want another company using the same tactics? HL2 was a trojan you had to install steam, they took one of the biggest releases ever and forced steam on all who wanted to play it. Now epic are doing the same and they are the bad guys. (as are EA and Ubisoft)

Seems a few interfaces are poping up to support multiple stores which is probably the best solution.

Just think if every supermarket became the same chain we would not be happy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Percy1983 View Post
    People support steam but don't want another company using the same tactics? HL2 was a trojan you had to install steam, they took one of the biggest releases ever and forced steam on all who wanted to play it. Now epic are doing the same and they are the bad guys. (as are EA and Ubisoft)

Seems a few interfaces are poping up to support multiple stores which is probably the best solution.

What a complete load of tripe.

HL2 used a new form of digital distribution and rights management that became Steam which became a digital distribution system. To call it a trojan is a gross insult to your own intelligence.

Epic are not doing the same as Steam, they are aggressively pulling content from other stores and seemingly paying publishers to use them exclusively. They are using less than savoury tactics to get themselves market share, that is the problem.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Please.

The difference being you can usually go to one supermarket and get everything you need. You don't have one supermarket buying up ALL the baked beans and ensuring that if you want everything you have to visit several different supermarkets...

Indeed that analogy fails further when you realise supermarkets exist and succeed because they are a consolidation of what used to be multiple shops. You used to have to go to a butcher, baker and indeed the candlestick maker. Now you go to the one supermarket and really, they're mostly the same and differentiation on product availability doesn't really happen that much.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    Indeed that analogy fails further when you realise supermarkets exist and succeed because they are a consolidation of what used to be multiple shops. You used to have to go to a butcher, baker and indeed the candlestick maker. Now you go to the one supermarket and really, they're mostly the same and differentiation on product availability doesn't really happen that much.
    No.
    You go to one of about eight different supermarkets, all of whom are competing on price, while stocking some brands that others do not, and peddling their own ranges of stuff. People don't even retain supermarket loyalty either, preferring to shop around or go to whoever has the best deals on.

You also get what they give you from whatever they have, rather than getting what you wanted from the dedicated local place. You get no chit-chat or friendly community from supporting local shops either, who have all be forced out of business by large companies who can afford to lower standards and dictate markets.

This lovely, pleasant shopping experience in local shops has been replaced by being barged out the way by some fat-assed pineapple in her pyjamas desperately waddling to the Discounted aisle for some doughnuts at the end of their Sell By date, followed by clueless Saturday staff (who work all week long, now) and being treated like cattle at the automated checkout (because it's cheaper to make you do it than employing a human), all for low quality goods that will likely be off before you get them out to your car.
    No wonder farm shops command such a ridiculous price for the simplest of things, nowadays!!

I do NOT want this. I'm sick of all the different launchers with different stores, different updates and different password requirements.
    I guess you're sick of having nothing decent to play because the platform companies take too much money off the devs for it to be a worthwhile venture, unless you're a AAA developer churning out yet another cack spin-off of ASSassin's Creed?

I don't want people pestering me whilst I'm trying to play a game.
    If you're getting pestered by that many people you're clearly not a gamer - Gamers don't have any friends. That's why we game!

You're trying to escape the world for 20 minutes and you get messages popping up asking how's the wedding planning going.
    And you didn't think to disable this feature or set your status to Away/Invisible/Offline?

No, I don't care you've given me a free item for a game I don't own or that I've been invited to play a game by someone I haven't spoken to for years.
    Err..... Are you sure you haven't logged into Farcebook by mistake, here?

EDIT: Oh and I WAS going to buy Metro Exodus. It seemed like it was a decent plot driven game. But I went on Steam and found they'd screwed over Steam users in favour of their own platform.
    So Epic went with a 16% lower price for you on their own platform, as well as retaining more of the resulting profits for themselves.... but instead you want to put £10 more into Steam's pocket and insist that Epic must lose an extra 18% to fund your privilege of having their game on the platform you want?
    Cor, with customers like that, it's a wonder anyone would bother trying to make a game these days...!!

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    What a complete load of tripe.

HL2 used a new form of digital distribution and rights management that became Steam which became a digital distribution system. To call it a trojan is a gross insult to your own intelligence.

Epic are not doing the same as Steam, they are aggressively pulling content from other stores and seemingly paying publishers to use them exclusively. They are using less than savoury tactics to get themselves market share, that is the problem.
    Could you or could you not install Half Life 2 without installing steam, I will say I am using the term trojan in the general world term rather than computer virus.

By all means the bulk of my games are in my steam library, I am not against steam in anyway shape or form.

Of course epic can secure their own games as exclusives and they are buying exclusivity elsewhere to increase market share, I don't see a problem.

I am not a developer but can see if I was a small indie I would be stuck between a rock and a hard place with steams fees but the biggest market share and as a smaller name/title I don't have the pull to bring buyers to a cheaper store (ie epic).

Where as if epic aggressively grow market share and offer a better deal for indies where they can make more money for themselves while still having reasonable visibility.

Essentially steam is more or less a monopoly on the market and just holding your own exclusives will not come close to challenging that so I am actually grateful to epic for trying to disrupt the monoply and wish them luck.

Me having to install another launcher is small price to pay for the greater good this can do for the market.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

People support steam but don't want another company using the same tactics? HL2 was a trojan you had to install steam, they took one of the biggest releases ever and forced steam on all who wanted to play it.
    Valve actually started to spread steam around much earlier - when they took down WON and replaced it wtih steam, forcing the TFC & CS beta players of the time to sign up to it just to be able to play online...that was before any sort of storefront launched on steam, and I hated it back then ("Steaming pile of poo" was a common reference to it, on account of how much slower and unstable it was than WON).

Since then, it has come to be a great storefront and gaming social hub, and it's done wonders for digital sales. Steam is *not* a bad thing in itself. I'll even come out and say that the Epic store isn't necessarilly a bad thing - offering publishers cheaper rates is a positive thing for the industry.

That said, the way Epic have gone about things is nothing short of a huge punch in the face to gamers everywhere, and it's much worse than anything Valve have done with Steam in the past 10 years. Exclusives offer zero help to any gamer - it doesn't provoke any competition, doesn't give gamers a choice, doesn't help the market...in fact it does the exact opposite of all of those things. It only helps Epic. Publishers might see a minor benefit, but time will tell...there are a lot of people who have not bought Metro simply because of the underhand tactics at play here.

If Epic had just launched their store with cheaper rates and/or sold their AAA games in direct competition with steam/uplay/origin etc that would be wonderful. Sure I would still choose not to use it (why would I when all my friends and existing library is on Steam? I'm not massively price sensitive) but many people would, and it might actually put some pressure on Valve to drop their cut a little and start some price competition.

As it is right now it's hugely anti competitive and I really have to hope it fails as an experiment for them. Such a wasted opportunity.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    This lovely, pleasant shopping experience in local shops has been replaced by being barged out the way by some fat-assed pineapple in her pyjamas desperately waddling to the Discounted aisle for some doughnuts at the end of their Sell By date, followed by clueless Saturday staff (who work all week long, now) and being treated like cattle at the automated checkout (because it's cheaper to make you do it than employing a human), all for low quality goods that will likely be off before you get them out to your car.
    No wonder farm shops command such a ridiculous price for the simplest of things, nowadays!!

If you're getting pestered by that many people you're clearly not a gamer - Gamers don't have any friends. That's why we game!

And you didn't think to disable this feature or set your status to Away/Invisible/Offline?

Cor, with customers like that, it's a wonder anyone would bother trying to make a game these days...!!
    I'm not going to respond to the entire thing as frankly, I've been grumpy and unreasonable all day and you make some good counter points. But the above tickled me...

The fat mare? She pushed in front of us when Asda was very busy. I can't repeat what happened and what was said on here but suffice to say her husband looked mortified and she got through the checkout second. That was the end of our IRL shopping and now we do it online...

Amusingly, the people I get pestered by are people I know.... through gaming. And I now do set myself to "offline".

Customers like me? I dunno what you mean. I'm hardly ever grumpy.

Thanks

I have seen so many simply refuse to buy on any platform that isn't Steam, because of the inconvenience.
    Players like that are why there is simply no way to to compete with Steam even if the client and store was similar in function.
    Due to convenience, Steam would win by default.
    Without exclusives there would be no reason for most to pick the Epic Store, or any other over Steam if they had complete freedom of choice.
    Because that is too much work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information