Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 to auto remove botched updates

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Windows 10 to auto remove botched updates

Windows Update will resort to this technique if other recovery attempts prove unsuccessful.
    Read more.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Re: Windows 10 to auto remove botched updates

And if it botches the auto-removal? Just reinstate your QA department already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    And if it botches the auto-removal? Just reinstate your QA department already.
    Beat me to it.

Nevertheless, I see this in abundant usage. What with the quality (or lack thereof) of Microsoft's updates and all.

Thanks
    • afiretruck's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X399 Designare Ex
      • CPU:
      • AMD Threadripper 1900X
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 32GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 2x 250GB NVMe + 2x 1TB SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX Vega 64 + GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RMi 850
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R6
      • Operating System:
      • Linux Mint 19
      • Monitor(s):
      • Screeny

*grabs popcorn*

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

OK, so what if the GPU driver is the failure? Windows may boot just fine and the display will be blank, allowing you to do nothing. Will it detect this as a botched install?

What about the USB drivers so it kills your keyboard / mouse? Windows may well boot just fine but you can't do anything.

How about when I get REALLY CROSS after they force the update upon me again, having not fixed it and I put an axe into my PC? Will this be detected as a botched update? How many times will it allow you to remove a screwed up update before forcing it upon you in the name of avoiding version fragmentation? Or do you have to go through this palaver of install-break-uninstall every 30 days until you come across another update which requires the broken update that gets continually uninstalled in order to function properly and Windows just proceeds onwards with the installation of the new update anyway and borks your computer in a way which is both unique and genuinely retarded? Yes, I have had this before where a PC has been rendered unusable because an update was somehow missed months before... subsequently another update built on the foundations of the previous update and led to a PC which did not function without wizardry (and eventually removing all updates to just before the one that was missed and then re-downloading and installing them).

Windows updates are now worse than anti-virus software for creating more problems than they solve.... and I used to use Norton.

Thanks

Jeez, when will these idiots at MS learn?

Give us control over what gets installed, or ununstalled, automaticalky, and when.

Instead of trying (with who knows what success rate) to unbork what it has borked, give the control of whether to risk borking our machines back to us.

Don't just do this stuff .... ask first.

Not that I care any more, but talk about having a tin ear.

7. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (13-03-2019)

Old Geezer
    Thanks

At the moment I can't be doing with the hassle and the learning curve but, if we get many more problems with defective Windows updates, I will think seriously about making the move to Linux.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Friesiansam View Post
    At the moment I can't be doing with the hassle and the learning curve but, if we get many more problems with defective Windows updates, I will think seriously about making the move to Linux.
    Already have mate. Already have, and find Ubuntu 16.04 with Libra Office is all I need.
    As a professional IT support person, having an OS that just integrates so well with access to Unix based machines = productivity bliss.

When I.T. puts the bread and butter on your table, you require an OS that "stays out of your way", and NOT be a sales platform to sell you more rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbish..

10. Received thanks from:

Corky34 (13-03-2019),Saracen999 (12-03-2019)

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Blade View Post
    When I.T. puts the bread and butter on your table, you require an OS that "stays out of your way"
    This is exactly it - I want the OS to... now get this for radical... be a tool which allows the system to operate. Nothing more. Nothing less. Just make my green and black bits do their job properly and let me do the rest. Want to predict what I want? I'm going to advise Siri that I want big dangly donkey balls. Want my phone number for some pathetic reason? Please do sod off. Want to advise me that a particular browser is their preferred means of selling my private information or send up so many warnings about "THIS SOFTWARE IS DOWNLOADED FROM THE INTERNET AND MAY CAUSE HARM TO YOUR PC" that I ignore them all as white noise? Please go bol.... (by the way, Windows was downloaded from the internet and definitely DOES cause harm to my PC on a regular basis, so I suppose the warnings are justified, just for every time you boot into Windows, not for CPU-Z).

Thanks

That's exactly it .... an OS that stays out of my way.

Lets me get on with doing what I bought the PC for, be it work gaming, wotever.

But MS act as if they bought the PC, lent it to me and have some right go redecorate in their choice of colour scheme. No, MS, you didn't buy it. I did. So stop acting like it's yours.

Thanks

LOL you guys.
    You just to get another feature that is to lessen the impact of the actualization process.
    Go and start use Linux, write your own OS or use MAC. Sorry I prefer broken Win 10 any-day for day to day tasks. You probably too as you are using it over other alternatives ?

It is honestly sad when you browse the comments - like people just wait for MS OS related announcement to flame, no mater the content.

And yes, updates are sometimes annoying as **** but I can't stand the previous senseless comments. Get real ppl.

Thanks
    • Rubarb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H81m-E33
      • CPU:
      • G3258
      • Memory:
      • 8GB hyper x beast
      • Storage:
      • 120ssd, 2gb hdd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • msi gtx960 4gb
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 450w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake mozrt tx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung 24'
      • Internet:
      • 100mb

I would have been over the moon with just an update that gives control over colour and icons to revert back to windows 7 and aero style, I'd ever been happier with a classic windows theme as would a few thousand other people on the windows insider group.

most updates for windows are silly things at the moment, language, new access for people with no arms or legs that only speak greek etc............ I would have sacked the dev team a year ago.

15. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (13-03-2019)

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by DevDrake View Post
    LOL you guys.
    You just to get another feature that is to lessen the impact of the actualization process.
    Go and start use Linux, write your own OS or use MAC. Sorry I prefer broken Win 10 any-day for day to day tasks. You probably too as you are using it over other alternatives ?

It is honestly sad when you browse the comments - like people just wait for MS OS related announcement to flame, no mater the content.

And yes, updates are sometimes annoying as **** but I can't stand the previous senseless comments. Get real ppl.
    Use linux - Used it years ago. Hardware support was a problem. I'm learning to use it again but driver support for my hardware is still an issue.
    Use a Mac - I do, more frequently than I'd like to look up how to fix Windows' lastet SNAFU.
    Write your own OS - did that when I was 12/13 and had no friends. I lost it when our Zip Drive failed. It never crashed once. No, it could not run Crysis.... Crysis didn't exist. Plus there was no 3D support due to the incompetence of the developer.

Get real? You mean expect something paid for to be fit for purpose? And as for preferring a broken windows 10 any day.... they have repeatedly completely broken my PC. As in put it beyond use requiring hours to fix as they removed access to Safe Mode without being able to boot into Windows. Trying to use it would be like shagging a dead pig - dysfunctional, unsatisfying and unlikely to produce anything of value.

If your mechanic came along, smashed your car with his spanner whilst it was in your drive, making it unusuable and shouting "OH LOOK, IT'S BETTER!" would you be pissed? And would you then be saitisfied if he said "it's okay, I can put it back how it was"? Because that is the situation I am in and what this new system does. As in they come along and break it (with no way to stop tbem aside from disconnecting from the internet) and now they're saying "we're still going to break it, but we'll make fixing it less of a hassle". It's a mitigation for corporate incompetence. Do you really think that's annoying for people who rely on this for a living? Or do you think the incompetence of a company, for whose product you have paid, putting your family's income at risk is acceptable. And saying "move to another platform" is fine if you have software that works on those other platforms but it's also an acknowledgement that the W10 platform is not fit for purpose the way it is being run if the solution is to "use something else". Again with the car - it keeps breaking down. Get another. Go on, just go out and buy another. Not the one you specifically chose for your needs that you can fully expect to be fit for purpose under UK consumer law... no, go out, lose money invested already and just get another that doesn't suit your needs but where the manufacturer actually put the effort in.

D'ya know what this is going to do? Make them MORE CARELESS because they'll have a safety net in this reversion system and get immediate feedback as to where the bugs are rather than writing good code and testing it from the very beginning. Do you know how I used to code? I tested it function by function as in I'd write a bit, sometimes as a standalone program, test it in insolation and then when I was satisfied it worked, I'd incorporate it into the main program. I wrote programs that were just an environment for pasting in new or modified code and ensuring it worked. This approach isn't hard and it seems like there are real problems with the management at MS because software developers haven't suddenly become retarded. They're either not being given the time or the resources to work properly or concerns are being ignored in favour of output.

Get real? I realistically expect MS to do their jobs right or refund me the money I have invested in their software and any other software that I would have to repurchase for other operating systems. AND any hardware that is only Windows compatible. Doing it right can be done, they HAVE done it right before. I also have hardware that is not Mac compatible - do I just bin that and spend a few hundred quid on new hardware? What they're doing right now is not that.

I have to say your comment is not just senseless but it is entirely forgiving of a company which seems more interested in how they're going to sell the data they're mining off you than the service they're providing. Bear in mind that their operating systems aren't just trying to play Crysis. Versions of Windows are used on nuclear submarines ("Windows for Warships", in pacemaker programmers (one company uses CE, another company uses.... Windows NT 4.0!)) and other critical equipment / infrastructure. I've yet to see anything critical use Windows 10. It's all on earlier versions because the bugs are known, can be controlled for and not going to be introduced by a forced update you neither needed nor wanted. This isn't just annoying, it's a real problem as support for Windows 7 goes and there's nothing to easily migrate to....

....which is why next generation pacemaker programmers are probably going to be using Android.

17. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (13-03-2019)

bios curious
    Thanks
    • Mr_Jon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock AB350 Pro4
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 48GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 EVO NVME
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6750XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define XL R2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung C32JG50 WQHD @ 144hz

I had a windows 10 tablet rendered inoperable by a botched update at the end of last year. Proper killed it. What'd be better than removing failed updates would be a tool to run prior to an update to see if the hardware can handle it. Close that door before the horse f's off.

19. Received thanks from:

Iota (13-03-2019)

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Jon View Post
    I had a windows 10 tablet rendered inoperable by a botched update at the end of last year. Proper killed it. What'd be better than removing failed updates would be a tool to run prior to an update to see if the hardware can handle it. Close that door before the horse f's off.
    Actually, this isn't a bad idea. It'd require a bit of space but as my rant above states, there's nothing wrong with testing in an environment that replicates your full scale software in as much as it interacts with your new code. So wouldn't there be a way of testing the update with the new config as part of the update process (which can take ages anyway so you usually just leave it to it) and then only installing it on the primary install once it's confirmed it works?

I currently have the option to "update and shut down" or "hibernate". Guess which one I'm choosing.

Thanks

I hate Windows 10 updates: firstly, Windows 10 reboot my PC when it wants, night, day, I lost my unsaved data so many times; secondly, after one of the update my wife's notebook became work slowly - I often see "Disk load 100%" - iCore i5, 8GB RAM and so on, but... It is really very annoying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information