Thread: Apple and Qualcomm end litigation battle

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Apple and Qualcomm end litigation battle

And Intel announces that it will end 5G smartphone chip development.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Apple and Qualcomm end litigation battle

The big question though, did Intel actually have any 5G silicon running?

Nice to see Qualcomm taken down a notch, they are a market dominator but surprising that Intel has all but pulled out of the race, likely because of no easy in to the market and the issues around their own products versus Qualcomm anyway.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    The big question though, did Intel actually have any 5G silicon running?
    Certainly nothing they could fit in a saleable, usable package. I expect they did have something running but miniaturising / packaging it seemed to be the issue. I never saw anything from them on this that wasn't a render, photoshopped or just a lump of plastic with 5G on the front.

As for Qualcomm being taken down a notch, I'm confused. I read the article as this being a win for them and their shares rocketed. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    As for Qualcomm being taken down a notch, I'm confused. I read the article as this being a win for them and their shares rocketed. Am I missing something?
    Qualcomm are market dominators in the mobile connectivity space and because of this they charge through the nose for their product. A lot of companies have taken offense to this and in a few regions qualcomm has been poked with anti trust and anti competitive lawsuits.

Now although they didn't allow it to go to ruling, Apple have forced Qualcomm to roll over because they won't take their crap anymore. It was generally obvious Apple had a very strong case and if the lawsuit ruled in Apples favour it opens a massive can of worms for all the other companies they bleed with their chips to open similar cases due to legal precedent. So Qualcomm struck a deal with Apple to give them what they want to get that damocles sword away from their head.

Their stocks would have gone up regardless of whether there was settlement, drop or rule in favour of QC. It means there would have been no ambiguity about the status of Qualcomm so therefore market opinion would have been stronger. Qualcomm did lose stock value at several points through the case iirc because of jumpy stockbrokers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    Qualcomm are market dominators in the mobile connectivity space and because of this they charge through the nose for their product. A lot of companies have taken offense to this and in a few regions qualcomm has been poked with anti trust and anti competitive lawsuits.

Now although they didn't allow it to go to ruling, Apple have forced Qualcomm to roll over because they won't take their crap anymore. It was generally obvious Apple had a very strong case and if the lawsuit ruled in Apples favour it opens a massive can of worms for all the other companies they bleed with their chips to open similar cases due to legal precedent. So Qualcomm struck a deal with Apple to give them what they want to get that damocles sword away from their head.

Their stocks would have gone up regardless of whether there was settlement, drop or rule in favour of QC. It means there would have been no ambiguity about the status of Qualcomm so therefore market opinion would have been stronger. Qualcomm did lose stock value at several points through the case iirc because of jumpy stockbrokers.
    On the contrary Apple blinked and Qualcomm won.

Intel could not deliver on 5G and wanted out, Apple has almost no other options and cannot build a 5G radio of it's own as Qualcomm has a mountain of patents that would make it extremely difficult.

So Apple caved.

http://radiofreemobile.com/2019/04/17/qualcomm-vs-apple-apple-blinks/

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

None of that makes any sense. You're saying that Apple didn't like Qualcomm's dominance, so they went to a convicted monopolist to make things better? Then Qualcomm were backed into a corner and had no choice but to accept a large payment and the licence terms they asked for all along from Apple to make it stop?

Thread Information