Thread: The Witness is the latest Epic Games Store freebie

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

The Witness is the latest Epic Games Store freebie

And it will be followed up, from 18th April to 2nd May, by Transistor.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: The Witness is the latest Epic Games Store freebie

Why is this even news? Especially on Hexus?

There are freebies on all platforms, GoG, Steam, Discord and others yet Epic gets screentime because "they do it every fortnight".

Every news article about Epics exclusivity and BS just mates me hate the platform even more.

*sits and sulks angrily in a corner*

3. Received thanks from:

cheesemp (05-04-2019),Spud1 (08-04-2019)

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    I get the impression that it's only a small, but very loud, portion of PC gamers that hate the Epic Store. The rest are perfectly happy with it, and it's also cool to post news about Epic because it gets reads/views.

5. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (06-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonigan View Post
    I get the impression that it's only a small, but very loud, portion of PC gamers that hate the Epic Store. The rest are perfectly happy with it, and it's also cool to post news about Epic because it gets reads/views.
    I guess it's like veganism, most don't care about vegans but there are a small loud proportion who hate them.

No publicity is bad publicity I suppose.

Thanks
    • Mblaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS PK5 Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Intel X25 SSD + WD 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce GTX 570
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP w2207 (22" wide)
      • Internet:
      • Rubbish ADSL

I like they Epic store and I'm happy they're around to provide some competition to Steam. Steam is good too, but they take such a large cut it's hard to justify, hopefully some competition in the market will bring prices down for everyone.

It's good to see a company able to take on Steam (and also the Google play store), but clearly it's in their interest too, and they're not some kind of consumer champion.

8. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (06-04-2019)

Registered+
    Thanks

ahh The Witness, starts of fun and clever puzzling and then you slowly realise it's the actually tedious and one of the most pretentious games ever made. At least if its free you won't hate yourself for giving good money for it.

Thanks

There are freebies on all platforms, GoG, Steam, Discord and others yet Epic gets screentime because "they do it every fortnight".

Every news article about Epics exclusivity and BS just mates me hate the platform even more.

Any form of competition is good, check Intel vs AMD for example. Epic store will benefit gamers a lot by forcing steam to lower their profit margin (I believe they currently sit on 30% of the asking price) and therefor either increasing the profit to the developers that will be able to provide better games or lower the asking price.

In my opinion anyone against "Epic Store" or any other kind of game store is ... uninformed.

On the other hand I hate launchers, that is the real issue.

11. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (06-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Glyce View Post
    Any form of competition is good, check Intel vs AMD for example. Epic store will benefit gamers a lot by forcing steam to lower their profit margin (I believe they currently sit on 30% of the asking price) and therefor either increasing the profit to the developers that will be able to provide better games or lower the asking price.

In my opinion anyone against "Epic Store" or any other kind of game store is ... uninformed.

Anyone against Epic Store is "uninformed"? Nice generalization by someone that is truly uninformed. Steam doesn't care. Gabe has all the money and no shareholders to nag him. Epic is throwing around money in an attempt to force customers to use their inferior store. We already have GoG Galaxy which is an excellent alternative to Steam. The Epic Store is for publishers so they have it easier to sell us their hot garbage. Most developers aren't gonna see a single extra penny.

13. Received thanks from:

Thanks

They've covered freebies from other platforms in the past. Personally I like hearing about it since it generally don't pay too much attention to freebies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifl View Post

Anyone against Epic Store is "uninformed"? Nice generalization by someone that is truly uninformed. Steam doesn't care. Gabe has all the money and no shareholders to nag him. Epic is throwing around money in an attempt to force customers to use their inferior store. We already have GoG Galaxy which is an excellent alternative to Steam. The Epic Store is for publishers so they have it easier to sell us their hot garbage. Most developers aren't gonna see a single extra penny.
    I think Epic deserves props for giving those providing us with the games we like a bigger share. If publishers don't share the higher cut, then that's kind of on them, not Epic. A lot of the criticisms I see against Epic seem to be incredibly arrogant such as those encouraging piracy just because it's available on another launcher... If people don't support Epic, that's fine and their right. I think claiming GoG as a steam alternative is giving them a little too much credit. Nothing against GoG themselves, but they're no competition.

Personally I do have issues against Epics client myself. I've had problems with it, perhaps due to not being logged in on an admin account and have had problems with fortnite and installing another game which needed me creating the folder manually. There's also concerns about spyware, but I'm not sure how accurate those are since laws tend to be harsh and some of the same arguments do get used for anti cheat. For the store lacking functionality I don't see the big deal, I just want to play the games, it will be expanded upon in time too.

I think Epic are smart for attempting to give a good go for using money they've made from fortnite to have a go for a strong future. Let's be honest, how many people wouldn't genuinely give the Epic store a go without the timed exclusives? People say it adds a sour taste, but understandably they'd generally prefer to stick with steam for convenience. I think that kind of power has the potential to be bad.

I'm personally taking an understandable and wait and see approach for Epic.

15. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (06-04-2019)

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Mblaster View Post
    I like they Epic store and I'm happy they're around to provide some competition to Steam. Steam is good too, but they take such a large cut it's hard to justify, hopefully some competition in the market will bring prices down for everyone.

It's good to see a company able to take on Steam (and also the Google play store), but clearly it's in their interest too, and they're not some kind of consumer champion.

Thing is, they are not providing any competition at all - they are purely buying up exclusives of AAA games which directly reduces competition...if you can only buy a product in one specific shop, and there isn't a comparible product available anywhere else, then thats not providing competition - it's simply creating another monopoly.

As I have said many times now, if Epic just decided to sell games on their store at a reduced price, gave away free games like this and did all the other "normal" things you'd expect of a company trying to compete in a marketplace..I and many other gamers would be very happy - that would be offering competition and giving gamers a choice other than steam. It would be win-win for everyone! As things stands it wouldn't matter one bit of Steam decided to drop their royalties...epic would still be buying up exclusives and mistreating consumers in the same way. What they are doing is explicitly *not* offering competition.

What they are doing at the moment is hugely anti competitive, and offers zero benefit to gamers. If you think about it, you are still paying the same price for your games, but if you want to buy it on PC on release you are forced to buy it through Epic's storefront and accept all the compromises that brings with it. You may be OK wtih that, I and thousands of others are not. I am still amazed that anyone tries to defend or justify their actions (not saying you are BTW, so please don't take any offence )

17. Received thanks from:

Thanks

Epic is going around paying for sponsored content, notice how no-one talks about the Discord store front and it's games, keeping in mind Discord takes a smaller cut than Epic games store.

So Discord is competing with Steam but doing so at least fairly, Epic wants to be another EA/Activision so it doing every underhanded thing it can do, bribing whoever it can with Fortnite money till that dries up, but by then Sweeny hopes Epic is one of the big boys.

Thread Information