Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Scientists unveil Brain Talker, a Brain-Computer Codec Chip

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28,457
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,849 times in 629 posts

    Scientists unveil Brain Talker, a Brain-Computer Codec Chip

    China Electronics Corp and Tianjin University got together to create the BC3 BCI chip.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked
    166 times in 115 posts

    Re: Scientists unveil Brain Talker, a Brain-Computer Codec Chip

    Colour me interested, after having Kevin Warwick as a lecturer, this stuff is highly interesting!

  3. #3
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,184
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked
    213 times in 158 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: Scientists unveil Brain Talker, a Brain-Computer Codec Chip

    OCZ NIA but actually good?

  4. #4
    Anti-Viral Pleiades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Amongst barbarians
    Posts
    931
    Thanks
    1,530
    Thanked
    55 times in 44 posts
    • Pleiades's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z-97 Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • 4690K @ 4GHz / Phanteks TC-12DX
      • Memory:
      • 16 GiB HyperX
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk 480GiB; Transcend M.2 256GiB; Velociraptor 300GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GiB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 800w
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster HAF932
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2005 20"; Qnix 27" 2560x1440 120hz IPS; Samsung 49" 9500 HDR UHD TV
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 70 Mibs

    Cool Re: Scientists unveil Brain Talker, a Brain-Computer Codec Chip

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    Colour me interested, after having Kevin Warwick as a lecturer, this stuff is highly interesting!
    Has he gone full Borg yet?
    ------------------

    Valar Morghulis

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked
    166 times in 115 posts

    Re: Scientists unveil Brain Talker, a Brain-Computer Codec Chip

    Quote Originally Posted by Pleiades View Post
    Has he gone full Borg yet?
    Last time i spoke to him he had left Reading University to pursue his orojects at another uni.

    They were still umming and arring about the much larger sensor platform being pneumatically rammed into his lower cerebral cortex (iirc). The problems around it were, a mm or so one way the sensor will have bad connections, a mm or so the other way he dies or at best is a quadriplegic with severely reduce cranial function.

    So yeah, not quite there yet, damn the frail human body!

  6. Received thanks from:

    Pleiades (07-06-2019)

  7. #6
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,184
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked
    213 times in 158 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: Scientists unveil Brain Talker, a Brain-Computer Codec Chip

    That reminds me, I really need to charge. I'm supposed to do it every night and I've missed two so far. According to my remote control I still have ~75% battery left so that's always helpful. Yes, I have a remote control. For myself.

  8. Received thanks from:

    Pleiades (09-06-2019)

  9. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Scientists unveil Brain Talker, a Brain-Computer Codec Chip

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    So yeah, not quite there yet, damn the frail human body!
    That's not being frail. Precision electronics are just as frail, or if not more. I was reading about how the miniaturization of the "bits" in a hard drive with advancing technology makes even fingerprints seriously damaging to the platters. Semiconductor chips are made in clean rooms with the most advanced air filtering systems, because the details are so fine that even a micron sized dust acts like a meteor striking.

    We just happen to have a very, very poor understanding of the brain that's all. Of course if you have little knowledge of something, the chances of you screwing it up are high.

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked
    166 times in 115 posts

    Re: Scientists unveil Brain Talker, a Brain-Computer Codec Chip

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidC1 View Post
    That's not being frail. Precision electronics are just as frail, or if not more. I was reading about how the miniaturization of the "bits" in a hard drive with advancing technology makes even fingerprints seriously damaging to the platters. Semiconductor chips are made in clean rooms with the most advanced air filtering systems, because the details are so fine that even a micron sized dust acts like a meteor striking.

    We just happen to have a very, very poor understanding of the brain that's all. Of course if you have little knowledge of something, the chances of you screwing it up are high.
    I guess you don't know what I'm referencing or what Kevin Warwick has done for the world of Cybernetics?

  11. #9
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    9,801
    Thanks
    482
    Thanked
    1,009 times in 858 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 2600X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 28 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Scientists unveil Brain Talker, a Brain-Computer Codec Chip

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    I guess you don't know what I'm referencing or what Kevin Warwick has done for the world of Cybernetics?
    My first job was in robotics back in the 80's so stuff like this tends to get my interest.

    I thought his reputation was mainly about self publicity and stupid experiments, like that time he embedded an rfid chip in himself. Medically that seemed pointless and dangerous (supposedly he had difficulty finding someone to do the procedure and had to have it removed soon after due to the risks) and in terms of interacting with the environment he could have just warn a tag on a wrist band to do the electronics.


    Edit: The fact this chip is called "BC3" and is supposedly the first amuses me. Did trials for BC1 and BC2 go so badly that they vowed never to speak of it again?

  12. #10
    Admin team peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    19,146
    Thanks
    2,786
    Thanked
    3,333 times in 2,638 posts
    • peterb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Nascom 2
      • CPU:
      • Z80B
      • Memory:
      • 48K 8 bit memory on separate card
      • Storage:
      • Audio cassette tape - home built 5.25" floppy drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • text output (composite video)
      • PSU:
      • Home built
      • Case:
      • Home built
      • Operating System:
      • Nas-sys
      • Monitor(s):
      • 12" monocrome composite video input
      • Internet:
      • No networking capability on this machine

    Re: Scientists unveil Brain Talker, a Brain-Computer Codec Chip

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post

    I thought his reputation was mainly about self publicity and stupid experiments, like that time he embedded an rfid chip in himself. Medically that seemed pointless and dangerous (supposedly he had difficulty finding someone to do the procedure and had to have it removed soon after due to the risks) and in terms of interacting with the environment he could have just warn a tag on a wrist band to do the electronics.
    But in theory, that is no different to embedding an rfid chip in a pet cat or dog.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

  13. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked
    166 times in 115 posts

    Re: Scientists unveil Brain Talker, a Brain-Computer Codec Chip

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    My first job was in robotics back in the 80's so stuff like this tends to get my interest.

    I thought his reputation was mainly about self publicity and stupid experiments, like that time he embedded an rfid chip in himself. Medically that seemed pointless and dangerous (supposedly he had difficulty finding someone to do the procedure and had to have it removed soon after due to the risks) and in terms of interacting with the environment he could have just warn a tag on a wrist band to do the electronics.


    Edit: The fact this chip is called "BC3" and is supposedly the first amuses me. Did trials for BC1 and BC2 go so badly that they vowed never to speak of it again?
    He successfully had the chip embedded in his arm to read and manipulate the signals directly from the nervous system and had it in for a substantial length of time before removal.

    Some of it may have been just for publicity but it got attention to an area of sciencr that was still relatively in its genus.

  14. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    100
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    5 times in 4 posts

    Re: Scientists unveil Brain Talker, a Brain-Computer Codec Chip

    Saw KW present a couple of times around the Reading area in the early 90's, including a demonstration of the learning capabilities of the "seven dwarves" robots. He obviously had a huge enthusiasm for the subject and I feel he was a very good ambassador despite the "Captain Cyborg" stunts.

    Coincidentally a couple of guys that I hung around with back then had been cybernetics students at Reading (one of them chose the subject primarily because of KW's high profile) and I also knew a guy who did most of the mechanical engineering work for the department for many years (I believe he made the "CybHand"). Sadly it was not because I had some kind of toehold in the world of robotics, merely the hardcore nerdiness of my social circle...

  15. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked
    166 times in 115 posts

    Re: Scientists unveil Brain Talker, a Brain-Computer Codec Chip

    Quote Originally Posted by Rad77 View Post
    Saw KW present a couple of times around the Reading area in the early 90's, including a demonstration of the learning capabilities of the "seven dwarves" robots. He obviously had a huge enthusiasm for the subject and I feel he was a very good ambassador despite the "Captain Cyborg" stunts.

    Coincidentally a couple of guys that I hung around with back then had been cybernetics students at Reading (one of them chose the subject primarily because of KW's high profile) and I also knew a guy who did most of the mechanical engineering work for the department for many years (I believe he made the "CybHand"). Sadly it was not because I had some kind of toehold in the world of robotics, merely the hardcore nerdiness of my social circle...
    He's a very charismatic presenter sometimes, he tries to give detail without putting you to sleep by too much depth.

    His presentations on the rat-brain cyberbots are great.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •