Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 40

Thread: Porn age verification system in UK expected to be delayed again

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,229
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,940 times in 681 posts

    Porn age verification system in UK expected to be delayed again

    Was due to start on 15th July, but now looks set to be delayed indefinitely.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    351
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    12 times in 11 posts

    Re: Porn age verification system in UK expected to be delayed again

    I don't trust any verification system implemented from the government or the sites operating such a system. It seems like the only thing it will achieve is being a nuisance, while not blocking stumbling upon porn sites to 'protect our kids' but instead only work when people know full well what they were doing. Frankly my faith in the government has been particularly dwindling in recent years. I also feel like parents need to be made more responsible, not less.

  3. #3
    Hooning about Hoonigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,203
    Thanks
    148
    Thanked
    414 times in 293 posts
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti VENTUS OC
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Vivid 350

    Re: Porn age verification system in UK expected to be delayed again

    I wonder how much money they've wasted this time.

  4. #4
    Old Geezer
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Under a rusty bucket
    Posts
    420
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked
    26 times in 18 posts

    Re: Porn age verification system in UK expected to be delayed again

    Quote Originally Posted by FRISH View Post
    Frankly my faith in the government has been particularly dwindling in recent years. I also feel like parents need to be made more responsible, not less.
    Agree on both counts. Many parents, these days, just seem to want to offload all their responsibilities as parents onto to someone else, who they can then blame for their own failings.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    355
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    14 times in 13 posts
    • simonpreston's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime X370 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 1700
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3000mhz
      • Storage:
      • A lot.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Zalman MS1000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 / Kubuntu 20.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2412m
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

    Re: Porn age verification system in UK expected to be delayed again

    But they're adamant the Irish border problem will be solved with 'technology'.

    Clowns, the lot of them.

  6. #6
    Hardcore Tory, Lost Cause Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    6,215
    Thanks
    356
    Thanked
    674 times in 569 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • i7 5960X o/c to 4.summat
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe wiv perspex window
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB270HU 1440 IPS GSync
      • Internet:
      • BT 0.7Mbps 'In The Sticks' version

    Re: Porn age verification system in UK expected to be delayed again

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonigan View Post
    I wonder how much money they've wasted this time.
    If only Labour were in power... Then it'd be someone else's money they'd wasted!!
    _______________________________________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    I got bored and wanted something to have a fiddle with.

  7. Received thanks from:

    Mr_Jon (20-06-2019)

  8. #7
    The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Looking down & checking on swearing
    Posts
    19,380
    Thanks
    2,892
    Thanked
    3,403 times in 2,693 posts

    Re: Porn age verification system in UK expected to be delayed again

    Ideal opportunity for some organisation like YOTI

    (I posted about YOTI elsewhere after unusually noticing - and even more rarely, responding - to an ad on HEXUS. If anyone is interested in this, I’ve reposted the link

    www.yoti.com )
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

  9. Received thanks from:

    blueball (20-06-2019)

  10. #8
    Now 100% Apple free cheesemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near the New forest
    Posts
    2,520
    Thanks
    223
    Thanked
    173 times in 117 posts
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k @ 4.2
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Crucial Ballastix Elite DDR3 @1866
      • Storage:
      • 64Gb M4 + 240Gb arc100 + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (for games only) 1x500Gb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W Semi modular
      • Case:
      • NZXT Source S340 Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~30Mb

    Re: Porn age verification system in UK expected to be delayed again

    Quote Originally Posted by simonpreston View Post
    But they're adamant the Irish border problem will be solved with 'technology'.

    Clowns, the lot of them.
    Exactly what I thought. Technology and MPs don't mix... I'm sure Capita are rubbing their hands in glee at another contract they will never have to deliver!
    Trust

    Laptop : Lenovo G505s A8-5550m 8Gb 240Gb SSD Radeon HD 8550G + Radeon HD 8570M dual graphics

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,115
    Thanks
    432
    Thanked
    393 times in 271 posts

    Re: Porn age verification system in UK expected to be delayed again

    I'm sort of surprised they've delayed it again, something not working and issues don't normally stop them from implementing it, it certainly didn't stop them from implementing the Snoopers charter.

    Also they had someone on BBC today saying how the reason we need these AV checks is because current parental controls don't work very well, she was meant to be pro-AV check but i guess it escaped her that she was essentially saying because current parental controls don't work very well we should put in another system that doesn't work very well.

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Posts
    329
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    22 times in 12 posts

    Re: Porn age verification system in UK expected to be delayed again

    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Ideal opportunity for some organisation like YOTI

    (I posted about YOTI elsewhere after unusually noticing - and even more rarely, responding - to an ad on HEXUS. If anyone is interested in this, I’ve reposted the link

    www.yoti.com )

    DANGER:

    It should never be done by a private company, to begin with.
    They are there for the money, no matter how good willing are they.
    Any kind off identification should be non-profit (AKA government based) organization with transparent processus and you in control off your identity.
    The more you live, less you die. More you play, more you die. Isn't it great.

  13. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Porn age verification system in UK expected to be delayed again

    Prefer Littlewwods myself, when the sword needs a polish.

  14. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,747
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked
    229 times in 165 posts

    Re: Porn age verification system in UK expected to be delayed again

    Does anyone feel like this is the Nortel-BT custom system contract all over again...

  15. #13
    The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Looking down & checking on swearing
    Posts
    19,380
    Thanks
    2,892
    Thanked
    3,403 times in 2,693 posts

    Re: Porn age verification system in UK expected to be delayed again

    Quote Originally Posted by darcotech View Post
    DANGER:

    It should never be done by a private company, to begin with.
    They are there for the money, no matter how good willing are they.
    Any kind off identification should be non-profit (AKA government based) organization with transparent processus and you in control off your identity.
    You had better tell HMRC who use private companies for their (rather clunky) authentication system.

    In this case thougb the sites are required to authenticate the individual - and they are private sites. If you look at the YOTI site it explains how your identification data is stored. Of course it is up to the individual to decide how far they trust any organisation with their data - bearing in mind the provisions of GDPR.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

  16. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,744
    Thanks
    394
    Thanked
    386 times in 296 posts

    Re: Porn age verification system in UK expected to be delayed again

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    I'm sort of surprised they've delayed it again, something not working and issues don't normally stop them from implementing it, it certainly didn't stop them from implementing the Snoopers charter.

    Also they had someone on BBC today saying how the reason we need these AV checks is because current parental controls don't work very well, she was meant to be pro-AV check but i guess it escaped her that she was essentially saying because current parental controls don't work very well we should put in another system that doesn't work very well.
    According to the BBC earlier, reporting what the Gov't told them, it's not "technological".

    It's actually that to do this, the UK needs needs to notify EU regulators and they ..... ummm .... forgot. Alledgedly, that can take up to 6 months.

    Also, it can't really be technological reasons because there is no single technological solution. It seems that how, and indeed if, a porn site implements AV will be up to the porn site. So, 10 different major sites could implement 10 different solutions.

    The sting in tbe tail is that if they don't implement something that complies with UK standards, those sites will be "blocked" in the UK.

    But ..... accessing via VPNs will still, first, work, and second, be legal.

    So tbat should be a really effective deterrent, then.

    A well-known adage about the inability to organise a booze-up in a brewery comes to mind. Gov't would orobably 'forget to book the brewery. Or forget which one they booked.

    But it's okay .... these muppets are only running the country. Someone please stop the planet, I want to get off.

  17. Received thanks from:

    aidanjt (21-06-2019),blueball (21-06-2019)

  18. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Porn age verification system in UK expected to be delayed again

    I forgot this was a thing. I'll be glad if they would drop it altogether, as it is a waste of time and resources.

  19. #16
    Senior Member spacein_vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Darkest Northamptonshire
    Posts
    1,622
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked
    465 times in 287 posts
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B85M-G
      • CPU:
      • i5 4460 3.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Crucial DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100, 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus RX 480 Dual OC 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Pop!_OS 19:10 / Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

    Re: Porn age verification system in UK expected to be delayed again

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    According to the BBC earlier, reporting what the Gov't told them, it's not "technological".

    It's actually that to do this, the UK needs needs to notify EU regulators and they ..... ummm .... forgot. Alledgedly, that can take up to 6 months.

    Also, it can't really be technological reasons because there is no single technological solution. It seems that how, and indeed if, a porn site implements AV will be up to the porn site. So, 10 different major sites could implement 10 different solutions.

    The sting in tbe tail is that if they don't implement something that complies with UK standards, those sites will be "blocked" in the UK.

    But ..... accessing via VPNs will still, first, work, and second, be legal.

    So tbat should be a really effective deterrent, then.

    A well-known adage about the inability to organise a booze-up in a brewery comes to mind. Gov't would orobably 'forget to book the brewery. Or forget which one they booked.

    But it's okay .... these muppets are only running the country. Someone please stop the planet, I want to get off.
    Agreed, it's utterly unworkable. Consider this: Online child pornography is illegal in virtually* every country in the world. In virtually* every country access to it is blocked as soon as it is discovered. Yet as we see in the news when cases go to court it is still possible to find it if you go looking hard enough. Standard online pornography is legal in most countries, and only 1 country is going to be trying to block access to it. What do you make of their chances?




    *It may even be every, but I haven't the time or inclination to check the laws of every single country!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •