Thread: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X CPU Geekbench results spotted

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X CPU Geekbench results spotted

Meanwhile someone has tested the Ryzen 5 3600 CPU in CineBench and CPU-Z.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X CPU Geekbench results spotted

They should be also compared with their previous models (1600,2600, or 1800X and 2700x) so that we can see the improvements.
    I bet is better then what Intel had between its generations.
    The more you live, less you die. More you play, more you die. Isn't it great.

Thanks

The CPU-Z look fake that look at 3 in 3600

Thanks

Ok, so 9900K at 5Ghz gets ~6000 points with 3200Mhz memory. This AMD 3800X sample (w/ memory at 2133Mhz), gets 5406 points at 4.5Ghz. If we raise the AMD at 5Ghz, we would get ~6000 points. So, even with handicapped memory it gets the same IPC as Coffee Lake. In the end I expect to see 5-10% better IPC, which is nice to see from AMD. Still, Intel is launching Ice Lake in June, which uses Sunny Cove core that will have 18% more IPC compared to Coffee Lake. So we're back to AMD having 10% IPC deficit compared to Intel.
    The only luck that AMD has now is that Intel cannot manufacture Ice Lake for desktop at high speeds.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeeeeman View Post
    Still, Intel is launching Ice Lake in June, which uses Sunny Cove core that will have 18% more IPC compared to Coffee Lake.
    Are you sure? All I've seen is Intel saying 18% IPC over SKYLAKE for sunny cove, ie over 3 year old hardware... AMD are saying 15% IPC improvement for zen2 over zen+

Thanks

As far as I know, there was no change to the core from Skylake to Coffee Lake. Just more frequency and more cores. So yeah, 18% is valid for skylake, kabylake and coffee lake.

Thanks

Also, there is a geekbench score for Ice Lake and from the looks of it, it has quite a bit more performance per core compared to Zen 2. https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/c2hhev/ice_lake_vs_zen_2_ipc_in_geekbench_4/

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by yeeeeman View Post
    Still, Intel is launching Ice Lake in June, which uses Sunny Cove core that will have 18% more IPC compared to Coffee Lake.
    Let's look at that. Intel are launching thin/mobile chips on Ice lake. These aren't going to compete with the 3800X in the slightest.

Sunny cove is 18% more IPC than Skylake, not coffee lake, the same Skylake that's four years old.

So yeah, well done Intel.

9. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (21-06-2019)

Thanks

If you would had the patience to read till the end I said: "The only luck that AMD has now is that Intel cannot manufacture Ice Lake for desktop at high speeds."
    Also, the difference between Skylake and Coffee Lake is close to null (only bigger L3 cache). Lets not get over ourselves thinking Intel has slept during all these years. They worked on new architectures, also a totally new uArch. Sure, I admire AMD for what they achieved. I hope they will spank Intel hard. But don't you ever think Intel is will leave IPC leadership to AMD.
    All in all, the paradigm is shifting from single core to many cores. So, I guess AMD will have a big advantage a few years thanks to the bet that they have done with using chiplets.

Registered+
    Thanks

Intel isn't bringing the Sunny Cove microarchitecture to the desktop in 2019. From the outside it's impossible to know why: they might not have good enough yields on 10nm to do high core counts, they might be having trouble reaching high clock speeds, or they may just be limited by current production capacity at 10nm and chose to prioritize new laptop chips first.

AMD, in contrast, chose to prioritize desktop and server in 2019. Laptops are just getting a shrink of the existing APUs to the 12nm process rather than 14nm.

Intel has not yet announced when desktops and servers will get the new microarchitecture and/or the 10nm process. But rest assured that it will happen. Meanwhile AMD will work on further microarchitecture improvements and will probably bring Zen 2 to laptops in 2020. So this story is far from over.

Thread Information