Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Microsoft releases Windows 1.11 via the Windows Store

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28,581
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,858 times in 634 posts

    Microsoft releases Windows 1.11 via the Windows Store

    However, this 775MB download is actually a game or entertainment app rather than an OS.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    9,906
    Thanks
    486
    Thanked
    1,021 times in 866 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 2600X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 28 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Microsoft releases Windows 1.11 via the Windows Store

    That's quite a big download given the original Windows should run in the L2 cache of a single modern core without needing main memory

    I often wonder if old DOS versions can even be coaxed to run on a modern PC hardware without resorting to virtual machines.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,321
    Thanks
    81
    Thanked
    181 times in 127 posts

    Re: Microsoft releases Windows 1.11 via the Windows Store

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    That's quite a big download given the original Windows should run in the L2 cache of a single modern core without needing main memory

    I often wonder if old DOS versions can even be coaxed to run on a modern PC hardware without resorting to virtual machines.
    It's probably all the emulation of the old code base/architecture. I wonder if any of the legacy code to run 1.11 even exists anywhere in the kernel anymore.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    735
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked
    160 times in 119 posts

    Re: Microsoft releases Windows 1.11 via the Windows Store

    Pretty sure I've still got a boxed version of 1.0x somewhere. I'd have to find it to be sure what x was. I've certainly got various v2.x, 3.x, and later.

    I remember evaluating 1.x for a project, along with DR's GEM, and though GEM was probably technically better, I felt MS had the more appealling design, and platform longevity. Boy, did I ever call that one right.

  5. #5
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,239
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked
    217 times in 160 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: Microsoft releases Windows 1.11 via the Windows Store

    Not sure I have enough conventional memory.

    Right, let's see:
    DOS=high,umb
    LH mscdex /d:mtmide01

    Um...

    Nah, that's all I remember and it's probably wrong.

  6. #6
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,239
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked
    217 times in 160 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: Microsoft releases Windows 1.11 via the Windows Store

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Pretty sure I've still got a boxed version of 1.0x somewhere. I'd have to find it to be sure what x was. I've certainly got various v2.x, 3.x, and later.

    I remember evaluating 1.x for a project, along with DR's GEM, and though GEM was probably technically better, I felt MS had the more appealling design, and platform longevity. Boy, did I ever call that one right.
    Ah GEM, I remember that one, too. I kinda liked it. Not so good for games or greyscale (bluscale?) pr0n, however.

  7. #7
    Gentoo Ricer
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Galway
    Posts
    11,025
    Thanks
    1,009
    Thanked
    944 times in 704 posts
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

    Re: Microsoft releases Windows 1.11 via the Windows Store

    Only Microsoft could turn what used to fit into a floppy into a 775MB package.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

  8. #8
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    9,906
    Thanks
    486
    Thanked
    1,021 times in 866 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 2600X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 28 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Microsoft releases Windows 1.11 via the Windows Store

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    I remember evaluating 1.x for a project, along with DR's GEM, and though GEM was probably technically better, I felt MS had the more appealling design, and platform longevity. Boy, did I ever call that one right.
    GEM was nice to program. I always needed a bucket nearby to write Windows code, to the point I didn't put Windows development on my CV to try and avoid people asking me to do it. Shame the look and feel lawsuits of the 80's made the GEM desktop so horrible to use as well, but on the PC I had an old early copy of the desktop program to copy over and the Atari ST never adopted the broken design.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    145
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Microsoft releases Windows 1.11 via the Windows Store

    Ha ha that takes me back a fair bit

  10. #10
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Microsoft releases Windows 1.11 via the Windows Store

    Windows 1.11 pff no thanks give me Workbench 1.3!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    735
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked
    160 times in 119 posts

    Re: Microsoft releases Windows 1.11 via the Windows Store

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    GEM was nice to program. I always needed a bucket nearby to write Windows code, to the point I didn't put Windows development on my CV to try and avoid people asking me to do it. Shame the look and feel lawsuits of the 80's made the GEM desktop so horrible to use as well, but on the PC I had an old early copy of the desktop program to copy over and the Atari ST never adopted the broken design.
    Yup, perfect example of the battle between better technology and commercial reality. The tech has a nasty habit of losing. VHS v. Betamax, anybody?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,321
    Thanks
    81
    Thanked
    181 times in 127 posts

    Re: Microsoft releases Windows 1.11 via the Windows Store

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Yup, perfect example of the battle between better technology and commercial reality. The tech has a nasty habit of losing. VHS v. Betamax, anybody?
    Active Directory vs Novell eDirectory and NetWare is another!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •