Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: QOTW: Does your next GPU need to support ray tracing?

Thanks
    • adidan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar Max
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb 3200Mhz Crucial Ballistix Sport
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510 m.2 480Gb / 2xCrucial M500 1Tb0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1080 Mini
      • PSU:
      • 750W EVGA G3
      • Case:
      • CM NR400 Noctua Redux filled
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1440p Iiyama XUB2792QSU

Re: QOTW: Does your next GPU need to support ray tracing?

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    I always think it's fun to read posts like these using only the ALLCAPS words (not including abreviations,)
    Colour me tickled.

Thanks, i'll save that method for future blockpost reading.
    Grab that. Get that. Check it out. Bring that here. Grab anything useful. Take anything good.

Thanks
    • malculator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASROCK X470 Taichi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3900XT
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Patriot DDR4 3200 MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 SSD + 2 x (2TB Crucial MX500 SSD)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750 V2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27UM67 27" 4K IPS Freesync
      • Internet:
      • 200Mbps Virgin Media cable

Owning a 4K monitor and a 1080 ti, and having to dial some games down to QHD for playable framerates, I'd rather give ray tracing a miss for now, instead of sacrificing even more performance. I think I'll wait and see if AMD brings a RX 5800 out.

Thanks
    • adidan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar Max
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb 3200Mhz Crucial Ballistix Sport
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510 m.2 480Gb / 2xCrucial M500 1Tb0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1080 Mini
      • PSU:
      • 750W EVGA G3
      • Case:
      • CM NR400 Noctua Redux filled
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1440p Iiyama XUB2792QSU

Quote Originally Posted by malculator View Post
    I think I'll wait and see if AMD brings a RX 5800 out.
    5800XT, 5900XT and 5950XT have been trademarked. Whether these are planned cards or short term protection of their naming system I don't know.
    Grab that. Get that. Check it out. Bring that here. Grab anything useful. Take anything good.

Thanks
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Patriot Blackout @ 3800 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB (2), Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 5700XT, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte G27QC
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 MB/s ↓ 0.86 MB/s ↑ ~20ms

No. I just want performance, games look great at the cutting edge using traditional faked world lighting unless you're sitting still admiring the shiny dirt for hours on end. Big fuss over a reasonably minor IQ blip which isn't even efficient yet.

ETR316

Maybe not NEXT, but it will eventually

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    You ask such things on a forum like this?

Yes, of course my GPU must support RTX, along with 64k resolution and 8,000fps at a million Hz on a 50" display, with all the (optional) RGB decorations you could want... silly question.

But... The important part is that RTX, and whatever hyper-bole I just typed, is implemented properly.
    At the moment, everything in RTX games is shiny as heck, to show it off and prove it's RTXed. It's like 3D where everything is in Comin' At Ya full on, in-your-face 3D, presumably so you feel you're getting your money's worth.

Once it's grown up, moved out, gotten a girlfriend and maybe settled down to being a quiet background effect, then it will be of real interest... and possibly even affordable.
    It's affordable now, get a better job. If you can't afford a 2060 yearly (heck, a whole PC if I'm frank with you here), really, quit burger king and get a real job. Or heck, just quit cabletv or your cell bill and you're gold (or join something like TING etc). I quit both, my PC is free every year if wanted In my defense, as a PC tech (who is forced to use a phone daily...LOL), you hate when your home phone rings in most cases I'd only carry a cell for on call these days when forced. As for the cutting the cord for TV? No need for defense, only fools/rich still pay for this. With a roku and some pay channel (ONE at a time) like netflix, hulu, hallmark (best deal IMHO), etc, you really can't watch all that is there unless you don't work and are watching tv 24/7 and I think it would be tough even then. I've bought full shows (all seasons) for multiple TV shows for my parents for xmas yearly, and they don't even get time to see them as retired people. They keep saying "we're saving them for when FREE stuff runs out, or we tire of hallmark"...LOL. It appears that will never come, and I know they want to watch the shows, they just want all the free stuff they can get first thinking one day, it won't be there...LOL Yes, I tell them how dumb that is, it isn't going anywhere, and with all the people trying to get your eyes there is more and more free stuff monthly. They just switch seasons, shows etc around from channel to channel as new ones pop up and pay for the seasons again. IE, felicity from tubi to ABC, & roku had all seasons of quite a few shows that just got hacked to 2 seasons - seems they're getting picky now, but have no idea why when it's all ad supported who cares? Still a LOT of shows on roku channel that are full though.

Do I get to watch WHATEVER I want, whenever I want? No, but show X, looks exactly the same next year, or whenever I sign with a channel that has it. Binge and switch yearly I say. We may try britbox next, but still have a lot of hallmark to get through for now, never mind all the free seasons (or complete shows) on roku channel/tubi etc. Even ABC etc have a few like Felicity (full show, just moved from tubi recently, was full there too). You can get more from CW (the free channel has a lot of seasons) etc. Now most even post the recent ep's if you like that sort of thing weekly. Again, unless you're rich, or just enjoy pissing away money, why pay for cableTV? We thought we'd miss FOX news, but even that is on youtube LIVE daily (jujubot or gramp's house...ROFL - many others for hourly stuff if you miss anything). FOX not your cup, well CNN, MSNBC etc out there too daily. Paying cable...I digress...Save $500-1000 a year easy and buy your new card this year, cpu/board/mem next year...etc, you should get the point...ROFL. It's exactly what I've been doing for almost a decade. Heck our whole family has cut cable and even cell down to just minutes we use, no contracts ever again for us.

Thanks

Some people seem to miss the point of DLSS. It gives RT for free (at least some of it), at least until you bloat the game with even more RT objects/surfaces etc which can obviously reverse the point at least until you add more cores to reverse again...LOL. You just need to wait for them to turn it on in games with RT, and fps will be going up. We're just getting patches for RT, & DLSS isn't far behind for those same games (see BF5, feb patch gave it, april improved sharpness of DLSS specifically etc). It's a balancing act until they figure out how to effectively use new tools.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/65470/battlefield-update-improvements-dxr-dlss-features/index.html
    Surely more after that, just a quit google for BF5 dlss (and don't care about the game). As noted it takes time to figure out brand new hardware features. Heck, Dice had to tell NV they had hardware that wasn't working yet. They released a driver, and boom massive uplift for dice as they were now able to take advantage of what was there but useless at launch. That should describe the next year most likely as current games are NOT made for this tech, but rather patched in after. Once the titles come that are MADE for it, expect less teething crap (even for the driver team who apparently left some hardware off...LOL). As usual, if you're a first adopter, expect patches, growing pains etc.

One more just to bring the point home:
    https://www.techspot.com/downloads/drivers/essentials/nvidia-geforce/
    July driver, again, showing better DLSS for BF5 (+ metro ex - er, OPTIMAL this time...LOL, ok.). Training is clearly a work in progress, hence the word training. It doesn't help that the game itself isn't in stone, as they keep adding more reflections, rays etc which even as NV (or AMD at some point) speeds things up, you might not see much as details are amped soaking up all the perf anyway. I guess that's where your slider or dlss 2x comes in etc. No law that says you have to turn on everything they did.

"The majority of people wanted to be able to push higher framerates for VR and 4K gaming"
    Uh, less than 2% use 4K (1.56 or so last I checked...LOL) and ~5% use 4k+1440p (both total!). VR? Don't make me laugh as that is less than 4k users. Maybe when it looks like google glass, not a scuba mask and far later when REAL games get made in mass. Wake me when 4k hits 10% and your comment will still be far out of whack (only 2.5x more for 1440p to make 10% ROFL). What does the word MAJORITY mean to you? 1.5%? The majority of people (65% according to steam) are playing 1080p and it's not a small sample size either, as they have 135mil users. The majority of users don't own a card capable of 4k (hasn't been made yet, without turning crap off all day, or buying MULTIPLE cards), nor do they own the monitor yet to run 4k Sorry, sales don't lie, neither does steam survey. You're an early adopter if you're on 4k and your wait for the rest of us to catch up will be LONG. See how long it's taken 1440p to get to...wait for it...3.5%...ROFL. FYI Ryan Smith at anandtech said it in his 660ti article (1440p is the new enthusiast norm...ROFL) and he is still wrong today. Never mind how ridiculous 4k statements are. I have ZERO plans for 4k monitors, and we have ZERO 4k TV's in our whole family though we may buy one for black friday, but only because they are commodity at this point and finally there is quite a bit of content and not much of a change at <65in IMHO (how close do you sit?).

My next TV might be 75in+ and in stores that seems to show something worth buying at our viewing distance. Though I popped in a 1080p HQ rip (not the crap settings reviewers use!) on that TV and surmised SOME of the quality was simply that it was on a more expensive unit with newer tech overall and I was comparing samsung to samsung (2017 65in model to 2019 75in). I can live without 4k for a lot longer with all tv's under 65 to date for us. Opinions vary but not on the word "majority". I thought that ALWAYS meant >50% or at worst the greatest number of a group of other numbers (surely not 1.5% with 65% on 1080p ROFL)

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post
    Ranty walls of text
    Go home, dude. You're drunk and making sweeping presumptions again...

IQ: 1.42
    Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Go home, dude. You're drunk and making sweeping presumptions again...
    Oh is that the reason ? Because damn was that a punchable post.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    Oh is that the reason ? Because damn was that a punchable post.
    Well, being just some underpaid peasant flipper at Burger King, I normally would resort to physical violence... But I'm trying to be a bit nicer this year and save the Mods some headaches.
    Presumably he just got a pocket money raise and therefore knows everything, so I'll just sit back and let him impart his unequivocal wisdom on how I should run my miserable little life...

Thanks

Reported for slinging about that 'getter better job' drivel again. No attempt was made to read the rest of the ranty walls of text after he destroyed his own credibility by opening with that.

Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Well, being just some underpaid peasant flipper at Burger King, I normally would resort to physical violence... But I'm trying to be a bit nicer this year and save the Mods some headaches.
    Presumably he just got a pocket money raise and therefore knows everything, so I'll just sit back and let him impart his unequivocal wisdom on how I should run my miserable little life...
    You sound experienced. With him I mean. I don't spend much time on the forums nowadays, is he always this much of a bellend ?

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    Reported for slinging about that 'getter better job' drivel again. No attempt was made to read the rest of the ranty walls of text after he destroyed his own credibility by opening with that.

It seems better to leave it, let people see what a world class walnut he is. Donkeys who spout that sort of thing tend to be painfully unaware so let him read what people think about him, maybe it'll spark something. Then again he seems like he's only running with a 5w bulb anyway.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

You sound experienced. With him I mean. I don't spend much time on the forums nowadays, is he always this much of a bellend ?
    Well, I recognised the Username... I recall a couple of posts about HEXUS reviewers' methods of testing GPUs, and him being unhappy that Hexites generally play in 1440p nowadays, while he's still in 1080. Most of his posts sound like a kid in his first paying job (PC tech, so presumably sweeping behind the Team Knowhow counter) with a lot of disposable income and no commitments.

As for the end of any bells, that's not for me to say...

Donkeys who spout that sort of thing tend to be painfully unaware so let him read what people think about him, maybe it'll spark something.
    Nah, I'll just walk away from my grossly underpaid job flipping burgers in the hydroengineering department, along with my wife, daughter, house, car, phone, television (oh, wait, no that's the wife's and she pays for that), and whatever else he deems too expensive...
    That way, when his toilet floods with raw sewage at 4,000 litres a second and he can't get clean water, I'll be too busy sitting pretty on a new RTX 2080 Super GPU to give a hoot!!

Thanks

floods with raw sewage at 4,000 litres a second
    Sounds fun. Reminds me of a few years ago in work when the (probably poorly designed, but I'm no plumber) sewage system blocked up and resulted in wastewater from the upstairs bathrooms end end up exiting through the downstairs toilets.

Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Nah, I'll just walk away from my grossly underpaid job flipping burgers in the hydroengineering department, along with my wife, daughter, house, car, phone, television (oh, wait, no that's the wife's and she pays for that), and whatever else he deems too expensive...
    That way, when his toilet floods with raw sewage at 4,000 litres a second and he can't get clean water, I'll be too busy sitting pretty on a new RTX 2080 Super GPU to give a hoot!!
    And there it is. You can tell they're young because their only concept of outgoing is personal. No real bills, no contingency money, insurances, kids, dogs, budgies and badgers to look after. Life is bloody expensive!

I was planning on getting a 3700X on release day, had money put away and everything, then got stung for a ton of things all at once ha. Ah well, not the end of the world and all that. I do miss the days of just being able to drop stupid money on unneeded parts!

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

As before, it's fun to read this type of post using only the ALLCAPS words (excluding the abreviations,) but this time I'm going to merge the two posts into one:

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post
    TING ONE FREE LOT WHATEVER FOX LIVE FOX NOT MADE OPTIMAL MAJORITY MULTIPLE LONG ZERO ZERO SOME ALWAYS.
    Much better, although it doesn't convey the original message quite as well as the last one.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information