Thread: Samsung launches Galaxy Note10, 10+ and 10+ 5G

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Samsung launches Galaxy Note10, 10+ and 10+ 5G

Highlights include the 6.3- and 6.8-inch Infinity-O screens, and the gesture S Pen.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Samsung launches Galaxy Note10, 10+ and 10+ 5G

pressure sensitive pen?

ETR316

Quote Originally Posted by ValkyrieTsukiko View Post
    pressure sensitive pen?
    apparently

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

AGH, once again I send a comment and it doesn't make it through. I blame the fact that my work is using Internet Explorer...

No headphone jack = no sale. I've been waiting for this phone to come out to upgrade to. No more.

I regularly charge on the go where wireless charging is not usable whilst listening and I will absolutely NOT be forced into buying Bluetooth headphones with all their expense and problems to solve an artificially created issue.

I can see no technical excuse for this nonsense and there is no downside to including it. No one is going to not buy a phone because it has a 3.5mm jack.... they ARE going to not buy because it lacks one.

Silly Sammy.

Time to get a new battery for my S8 and strip out the lastest load of bloat.

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.8" AOC 144Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

I agree, no headphone jack = no sale, but it's a moot point because starting at $950 is very much = no sale. Chuck in that it's too big, running bloatware etc etc..... I don't think I'm the target audience for this device.

I really liked my Galaxy S2.

Thanks

For the above posts - Samsung include a USB C to 3.5mm adapter in the box....
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

just get a note 9, i have one and its great. can't even use this to its fullest potential yet but thats because im lazy!! i like the 10plus but not at $1400 - £1300!!! EEEEEEEEEKKKK.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Yes and this has a) a DAC in it which makes buying extras very expensive or rubbish if they're cheap, b) is going to get lost and forgotten. I carry enough stuff with me without a dongle for the sake of it being shoved in there and c) I can't charge whilst I listen. That is a fundamental part of my use. A single adaptor is just pointless for me. It'll get lost, broken or forgotten. It's a "fix" for a problem that does not need to exist.

9. Received thanks from:

Terbinator (10-08-2019)

Thanks

Ignoring price for a moment, for me, it's too hig for a phone and too small for a tablet.

And then there's the price. That makes it clear this isn't aimed at me because it they halved the price there's still no way.

But after all that, even if they weren't issues .... no 3.5mm jack = no sale.

So that's a "no" then.

Thanks
    • JohnMcL7's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 3930K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD/8TB HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2xAMD 6950
      • PSU:
      • 875W
      • Case:
      • Dell Aurora R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2711

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    As the above posts also detail, it means you can't charge and use the 3.5mm at the same time. I'm frustrated Samsung have done this as well as remove microsd from the standard Note 10 (still there on the plus), Android phones are becoming so similar these days that it seemed a sensible choice for Samsung to buck the trend of rival devices and keep these additional features. There's certainly space for it on these massive devices and it's not even like we're getting any advantage of them removing the feature, I could understand losing the 3.5mm port for another USB-C port (which wouldn't be my preference) but we get nothing for the loss.

I'm not keen on the hole punch or whatever they call that design on the front either so with all that and the high price I'm planning to stick with the note 8 for now. It was annoying enough at the time having to lose a lot of the useful features of the note 4 (solid build, flat screen, replaceable battery etc.) without having to lose yet more features for another 'upgrade'

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcL7 View Post
    As the above posts also detail, it means you can't charge and use the 3.5mm at the same time. I'm frustrated Samsung have done this as well as remove microsd from the standard Note 10 (still there on the plus), Android phones are becoming so similar these days that it seemed a sensible choice for Samsung to buck the trend of rival devices and keep these additional features. There's certainly space for it on these massive devices and it's not even like we're getting any advantage of them removing the feature, I could understand losing the 3.5mm port for another USB-C port (which wouldn't be my preference) but we get nothing for the loss.

I'm not keen on the hole punch or whatever they call that design on the front either so with all that and the high price I'm planning to stick with the note 8 for now. It was annoying enough at the time having to lose a lot of the useful features of the note 4 (solid build, flat screen, replaceable battery etc.) without having to lose yet more features for another 'upgrade'
    I don't like the hole punch thing either. I'd rather have either a notch with a full sensor suite (like iris scanner, etc) and notifications either side or a bit of non screen to accommodate this. And I also use the microSD slot for taking video footage off a camera to edit. I'm sure people will have many ways around this such as "just buy a camera with wifi" like we all want to throw away money and waste perfectly decent stuff. Given the size of the screen and the power of the phone this is very useful for editing on the go and so removing it again just narrows the customer base. These are very expensive, premium devices and it's not like they need to shave off every penny from the BOM. It's a way of forcing those people to buy the model up to get the features they use. I also stick stuff on SD cards to move between devices, so I may have a bunch of films I'm editing or reviewing and the micro SD card is a very quick and simple way of moving these large files between the devices I'm using them on. Cloud storage doesn't work for this as they're so big and even if you could quickly swap them around using the internet, the connection isn't always there.

The lack of a removable battery is seriously annoying as well in such a device. It means that if you want extra power, you need to carry around a charger and a cable rather than a much smaller battery. If you ask me if I'd rather have the removable battery or a good IP rating, I'd probably go for the latter personally but the user base of the Note range has always been those who don't want the standard features available on every other device. It's just them all merging into one and there's nothing of any use to differentiate them anymore. As for the size of these things they've done that to not make the 5G model seem ridiculously big in my opinion. It's basically a tablet now and it's silly.

Thanks
    • lodore's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X570 AORUS MASTER
      • CPU:
      • Amd Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Gigabyte AORUS 7000s SSD and sandisk 1tb sata 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI 11gb
      • PSU:
      • Ion+ 860W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 34inch ultra wide quad HD 144hz and 24inch asus HD
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

Less innovation, more money and less features? Why would people want to buy this? if you want a note may as well get the note 9. with the speed of the phones I doubt you would even tell the difference.
    Apple and Samsung complaining about lower sales....
    I think the £1000 smart phone killed the 2 year contracts. I feel that if they kept under £1000 most people would still upgrade every 2 years. the extra digit makes a difference. It also doesn't help that for most people they have no reason to upgrade as the phones are so fast now anyway.

Google made fun of apple for removing headphone jack and next year removed it. Samsung made fun of apple and google by keeping headphone jack and then they remove it as well? with a phone that big no excuse to remove it especially with that price tag.
    I am not sure about micro sd card slot . I can understand as I doubt many people need 256gb let alone 512gb. on board storage is so much faster than micro sd card.

The Note series used to be in a class of its own. Now Samsung have made it so similar to other phones and the only difference is the S pen.

Mid tier phones are better than ever and cheaper than ever before and this is where the real innovation happens now.

I wish they would bring back plastic smartphones with removable batteries and headphone jack. No matter how tough glass is it is still glass and not really suited to be in a pocket or to be dropped.
    Last edited by lodore; 09-08-2019 at 10:22 PM.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by lodore View Post
    The Note series used to be in a class of its own. Now Samsung have made it so similar to other phones and the only difference is the S pen.
    Absolutely, this was the whole point of the Note - to provide the features demanded by a smaller group than the traditional flagship was serving. Now they've done hardly anything to differentiate it. Probably because they are wanting to "grow sales" and they're doing that by looking at what everyone else is doing and copying. But the whole point of the Note was to service the nerd / heavy business user who weren't served by the traditional market.

They've completely lost sight of their market for sales. This is just a bigger S10 with a stylus. And my old P990i had one of them. This one is just poncier.

I'd love to plant a bug in their board room whilst they're discussing what features to drop. I apprecaite most people don't have a use for the SD cards but it's one of those things where the cost is minimal and you're not going to lose any sales by having it. You will lose sales by ditching it. Same with the 3.5mm slot. As above I'd actually get on board if they had two USB ports. Thinking about it, the P990i had a bespoke headphone connector but what it also had was a port on the charger. This meant when charging you could use a pass through on the charger to plug in headphones. Wasn't the best solution but it worked.

EDIT: Just been on Anandtech - the comments aren't favourable.

Thanks

I can live with an adapter (I carry my headphones in a small case, and an adapter will fit in it just fine) though it isn't ideal.

I am also fond of removable battery, but consider greater water resistance a fair trade off... That said. My S7 is the only phone of my 3 Galaxy (other two being S3 and S5, both of which have removable battery and neither considered waterproof) that needed repairs as a result of what is likely water damage (from snow sports).

MicroSD for me is a dealmaker/breaker and the main reason I have stuck with Samsung. I do use a lot of space, and since I tend to use my phone way past obsolescence, I ended up having a lot of stuff on the device over time.

Well, the Note has always been too big for my taste anyway. What I lament, is that the Active series is discontinued. I want a rugged phone with big battery that is well suited for outdoor activities (with a microSD).

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Still waiting for the S10 5G that isn't locked to Vodafone or EE...
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thread Information