Thread: AMD set to release boost-fixing AGESA 1003ABBA update soon

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

AMD set to release boost-fixing AGESA 1003ABBA update soon

Promises that it will be available on boards by start of October.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: AMD set to release boost-fixing AGESA 1003ABBA update soon

I thought they retired. Now they are back for one more time around to fix AMD cpu's.

Thanks
    • afiretruck's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X399 Designare Ex
      • CPU:
      • AMD Threadripper 1900X
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 32GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 2x 250GB NVMe + 2x 1TB SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX Vega 64 + GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RMi 850
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R6
      • Operating System:
      • Linux Mint 19
      • Monitor(s):
      • Screeny

I suppose the real question is one of why it has taken AMD and its motherboard partners the best part of three months - July 7 to Oct 1 (AGESA 1003ABBA release date) - to ensure its processors meet their rated specification?
    1) 3 months? Subtract a few weeks for motherboard vendors to take the AGESA package and test it thoroughly on all of their motherboards, so call it 10 weeks. This going to be mostly a software problem (firmware on the chip/motherboard). 10 weeks to fix a subtle issue that's affected by a multitude of variables, on a handful of different chips with differring configurations. I think turning a problem like this around in 10 weeks is a damn good result, considering it's very unlikely the whole team was working flat out for that time.

2) The issue is still blown way out of proportion. Meeting the rated specification means they operate at at least the base clock speed on demand. Boost speeds are opportunistic, so if you're getting close (within 100MHz) to the rated boost speeds consistently, you've got a good chip.

Wasn't boosting orginally designed so that multi-core CPUs could boost a single thread, or small number of threads for a short period to provide high responsiveness to user applications such as a web browser loading a page, or opening a word document? If that's the case, the amount it can boost and the length of time it can boost for depend on several factors (power delivery, cooling system, etc), which again means boosting is opportunistic. Why on earth are people complaining because their CPU isn't all-core boosting for long periods of time at the "up to" speed? Surely the rated base clock is what you should expect to see when gaming or running at 100% load?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I do think this has gotten out of hand.

Old Geezer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Korrorra View Post
    I thought they retired. Now they are back for one more time around to fix AMD cpu's.
    Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (An Update After Midnight)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Friesiansam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Korrorra View Post
    Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (An Update After Midnight)
    Mamma mia! I took a chance on reading this, hoping there might be lyrics (subject to erasure, of course).

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by afiretruck View Post
    Agreed, though I think AMD could have pitched this better. I did read someone's testing where a really simple integer thread would reliably get them up to maximum boost, but clearly people are using SSE/AVX workloads like Cinebench which exercise a *lot* of transistors and so draw a lot of power. Feels like complaining that may car wouldn't do it's rated top speed when fitted with a roof box.

Since early APU days AMD have released updated "facelift" parts where a lot of the performance increase comes from finessing the power management from what they have learnt since the original silicon was introduced. I have to wonder if AMD are giving us some of that now to make this issue go away.

Thanks

[QUOTE=afiretruck;1214771]
    I agree. I believe some press affiliated with Intel had the directive to find something that is wrong with Zen 2 to lower its success. So they found this stupid thing, that isn't really an issue because they say that only one core should go to 4.6Ghz for 3900X and in certain conditions and turned into all cores should boost together to 4.6Ghz in all scenarios. That is not the case. Also, the single core boost is generally spot on, with 25-100Mhz delta to rated boost speed.
    Still, I think that people smart enough understood this shady move from the press/competition and saw the huge value of these new CPUs. Hence the out of stock situation after two months from launch. I recently built a system with 3700X and it was boosting to 4395Mhz. Performance and responsiveness of the system is amazing. Great value for a 320$ CPU.

Long Time Lurker
    Thanks

Well Intel has to make it look like AMD are still terrible. They have to try to sell cpus... Thou why you'd pick intel over AMD now given all the spectre issues, and its even worse in server market. Rome is MURDERING Xeons for far less pricing AND no stupid restrictions/artifical segmentation. Oh and you get to use ALL the memory you put in your server too. You'd be idiotic to buy a full spec Xeon now.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

I has been said time and time again that the Intel boost clocks are not guaranteed and all they guarantee is the base clock. Indeed, the default for Intel boost is that it lasts for 8 seconds or until temps get high or until it breaches a specific TDP which is higher than that specified on the box.

So frankly, with all that in mind, this is a load of tripe. It's 25-75MHz off the boost which is not guaranteed and the results were also from an uncontrolled set of tests.

So what has AMD really done here? Probably gone "this is nothing", taken their recent optimisations they were going to release anyway and instead said they're a "fix" for the "issue".

I expect that stuff like this will be refined with updates and drivers which is why I, and so many others, will wait until a platform is mature before leaping.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by afiretruck View Post
    Agreed, though I think AMD could have pitched this better. I did read someone's testing where a really simple integer thread would reliably get them up to maximum boost, but clearly people are using SSE/AVX workloads like Cinebench which exercise a *lot* of transistors and so draw a lot of power. Feels like complaining that may car wouldn't do it's rated top speed when fitted with a roof box.

Since early APU days AMD have released updated "facelift" parts where a lot of the performance increase comes from finessing the power management from what they have learnt since the original silicon was introduced. I have to wonder if AMD are giving us some of that now to make this issue go away.
    The boost clock advertised for each part is the minimum speed that a single thread workload should achieve on a given part assuming cooling and power delivery are within requirements. Boosting above that is the opportunistic performance bit.
    So the issue lies in either something that's been preventing the boost hitting the rated minimum speeds, or those speeds were unrealistic in the first place and shouldn't have been advertised with the parts.

This just affects the 3000 series though, 1000 and 2000 series chips hit their rated boost speeds in the same conditions. As do all Intel chips advertised in the same manner.

Either way, they're still great performing chips with good value, it's just a perception issue (and I guess a legal liability) in not performing as advertised.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzark View Post
    The boost clock advertised for each part is the minimum speed that a single thread workload should achieve on a given part assuming cooling and power delivery are within requirements. Boosting above that is the opportunistic performance bit.
    Where's the source for this? Not saying you're wrong, I'm saying I'd like to see how and where they are saying that. My understanding from what I've read is that, like Intel, base clock is guaranteed and boost is not.

Registered+
    Thanks

After getting used to one sentence in a Hexus article they went into a healthy conversation in many paragraphs. Is the start of something great ? Probably not.

Thanks

I recently had a chance to buy a 3800X chip and a new motherboard. It was that, or put some new tires on my 4X4-Tacoma. (living on a fixed retirement income is no fun)
    When people started complaining about the Boost-Issue, I decided for the sure thing. (new tires)

Hopefully, if this is fixed, I can start saving for that CPU/Motherboard combo and try out AMD's latest offerings.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Phoronix found some overall improvement:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...00x-abba&num=1

Doesn't look a deal maker/breaker, but improvements are always nice.

Thread Information