Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Rockstar Games Launcher released for Windows

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28,921
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,865 times in 638 posts

    Rockstar Games Launcher released for Windows

    You can add disc-based games, digital store games, as well as titles direct from Rockstar.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,195
    Thanks
    1,520
    Thanked
    2,933 times in 2,376 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A UD3R rev 2
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon X5680
      • Memory:
      • 12gb DDR3 2000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • O2 8mbps

    Re: Rockstar Games Launcher released for Windows

    So now lots of games are going with their own launchers.. whatever happened to just launching a game from the start menu or shortcut link?

  3. #3
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Rockstar Games Launcher released for Windows

    Not another games launcher. At least we get a free game with this one.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Smudger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Albans
    Posts
    3,674
    Thanks
    579
    Thanked
    537 times in 399 posts
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

    Re: Rockstar Games Launcher released for Windows

    Does it automatically set the EMM386 parameters?

  5. #5
    boop, got your nose stevie lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    southport
    Posts
    2,572
    Thanks
    400
    Thanked
    391 times in 298 posts
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-USB3
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X6 1090T 6core 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair DDR3 1600 MHZ
      • Storage:
      • Hitachi 500, 640GB + 1TB. WDblue 2TB, Crucial M500 240GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia Palit 750 Ti
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Naxn 350 W
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Samsung SM2233BW
      • Internet:
      • 20mb plusnet unlimited!

    Re: Rockstar Games Launcher released for Windows

    does it alter GTA4 to not require Games For Windows Live?

  6. #6
    RGB Champion Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,300
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked
    559 times in 469 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • i7 5960X o/c to 4.summat
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair DDR4 somethingorother
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Phankecks Enthoo Luxe perspex window
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB270HU 1440 IPS GSync
      • Internet:
      • BT 0.7Mbps 'In The Sticks' version

    Re: Rockstar Games Launcher released for Windows

    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    So now lots of games are going with their own launchers.. whatever happened to just launching a game from the start menu or shortcut link?
    You can still do that with GoG games...
    _______________________________________________________________________

    Quote Originally Posted by PC-LAD View Post
    Tasky is right

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    103
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Rockstar Games Launcher released for Windows

    Isn't this a forced/required install now if you play from Steam?

  8. #8
    Registered+
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    4 times in 3 posts

    Re: Rockstar Games Launcher released for Windows

    Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    Does it automatically set the EMM386 parameters?
    only if you have himem.sys loaded, I think? (wowsers, hard to remember that far back)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    313
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    34 times in 29 posts
    • iworrall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B350M TUF Gaming
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB C14 Team Group "Dark Pro"
      • Storage:
      • 512Gb Samsung 970 Evo NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix Advanced GTX1080
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 1KW
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core V21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 / Kubuntu 19.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator X34A
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

    Re: Rockstar Games Launcher released for Windows

    WARNING! This breaks the previously working GTA:V on Linux/Proton.

  10. #10
    IQ: 1.42
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    old trafford
    Posts
    1,112
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked
    80 times in 70 posts
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8P67 PRO
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 2700K
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3-1600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

    Re: Rockstar Games Launcher released for Windows

    Basically a preamble for the RDR2 PC port, because without that this'd be so far out of left field.

    Personally, I don't care. I have like 70 billion different launchers now. It's so hard to care.

    Except EGS. I'm not doing it as some sort of stand of any sort, or thinking my voice will count (lol it absolutely won't), their security is such a joke that I'm afraid to simply have my personal details logged in with the company in any way shape or form.

  11. #11
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,458
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked
    255 times in 184 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: Rockstar Games Launcher released for Windows

    I have no use for this at all. Last thing I want is another launcher running in the background to update games which work just fine and don't need it. And if you disable it running in the background, it'll doubtless force you to update single player games before you can play them. I'm sure, of course, that it'll demand I update the launcher before I can access the games and then demand I update them and in between that it will lose my login so I have to try and remember the stupidly obscure password they demand off you.

    I have a launcher. It's the Windows desktop. I group my games into handy.... groups.

    PC gaming is generally not about going on your mate's machine and playing your games. A PC is configured and controls set up and hardware chosen for the individual so I do not care about cloud based saves. If it matters that much to you, do what they used to do... have a directory called "saves" and let you copy them to USB to take with you.

    This is just anti consumer copy protection and yet more money going into launchers and DRM with less going into the game.

    These launchers are actually pushing me out of PC gaming. I can not be bothered with them and if you don't want to have to wait for a game to update before you can play, you have to let them run in the background. That was fine with just Steam but it's NOT fine when every game seems to come with it's own launcher which uses resources and bandwidth. When I used to have time to play for 4 or more hours at a time, waiting for an update wasn't a problem. Now, I get 20 minutes here and there and most of it is wasted updating or otherwise pratting about with this rubbish I neither need nor want. They'll probably find a spike in piracy as people just don't want to be bothered with the DRM rubbish and, when they'd normally buy the game, they end up pirating it.

    Getting sick of it. Why did I stop buying DVDs? Mandatory adverts and trailers which they won't let you skip. This kind of rubbish may sound fine in isolation in a board meeting but when EVERYONE is doing it, the end user just gets battered with it left right and centre. When you take the enjoyment out of an entertainment product and make it seem like hard work, people will just not bother. It's supposed to be relaxing.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,464
    Thanks
    89
    Thanked
    196 times in 140 posts

    Re: Rockstar Games Launcher released for Windows

    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    Getting sick of it. Why did I stop buying DVDs? Mandatory adverts and trailers which they won't let you skip. This kind of rubbish may sound fine in isolation in a board meeting but when EVERYONE is doing it, the end user just gets battered with it left right and centre. When you take the enjoyment out of an entertainment product and make it seem like hard work, people will just not bother. It's supposed to be relaxing.
    You know, i was literally just thinking this yesterday after the 7th video in a row on youtube had double 7-15 second ads i couldnt skip.

    It makes me hate the experience and want to use an ad blocker more which in the end only damages the creator I'm watching, not youtube. If i wasn't really enjoying the video run i was on i would have just moved off of it.

  13. #13
    Theoretical Element Spud1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    6,958
    Thanks
    250
    Thanked
    252 times in 197 posts
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2x 2.8ghz Quad Core Xeons (octo-core)
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 FB-Dimm
      • Storage:
      • 1x1TB, 1x320gb, 2x500gb, 1x250gb, 120GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia Geforce 560Ti
      • PSU:
      • Mac pro PSU
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1x22" LG 3D TFT 1x 19" ViewSonic
      • Internet:
      • 80mb BT Infinity

    Re: Rockstar Games Launcher released for Windows

    So, isn't this just a rebrand of the "Rockstar Social Club" that I have installed for GTAV? That has been their launcher on PCs for years, so I don't think this is especially new.

    Unless they decide to start buying up 3rd party games as exclusives and selling them exclusively on their store like a certain evil anti-consumer, anti-pc gamer, anti-choice corporation that we all know of, I don't have a problem with this.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Rockstar Games Launcher released for Windows

    That thing sucks so much.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    986
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked
    213 times in 165 posts

    Re: Rockstar Games Launcher released for Windows

    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    I have no use for this at all. Last thing I want is another launcher running in the background to update games which work just fine and don't need it. And if you disable it running in the background, it'll doubtless force you to update single player games before you can play them. I'm sure, of course, that it'll demand I update the launcher before I can access the games and then demand I update them and in between that it will lose my login so I have to try and remember the stupidly obscure password they demand off you.

    I have a launcher. It's the Windows desktop. I group my games into handy.... groups.

    PC gaming is generally not about going on your mate's machine and playing your games. A PC is configured and controls set up and hardware chosen for the individual so I do not care about cloud based saves. If it matters that much to you, do what they used to do... have a directory called "saves" and let you copy them to USB to take with you.

    This is just anti consumer copy protection and yet more money going into launchers and DRM with less going into the game.

    These launchers are actually pushing me out of PC gaming. I can not be bothered with them and if you don't want to have to wait for a game to update before you can play, you have to let them run in the background. That was fine with just Steam but it's NOT fine when every game seems to come with it's own launcher which uses resources and bandwidth. When I used to have time to play for 4 or more hours at a time, waiting for an update wasn't a problem. Now, I get 20 minutes here and there and most of it is wasted updating or otherwise pratting about with this rubbish I neither need nor want. They'll probably find a spike in piracy as people just don't want to be bothered with the DRM rubbish and, when they'd normally buy the game, they end up pirating it.

    Getting sick of it. Why did I stop buying DVDs? Mandatory adverts and trailers which they won't let you skip. This kind of rubbish may sound fine in isolation in a board meeting but when EVERYONE is doing it, the end user just gets battered with it left right and centre. When you take the enjoyment out of an entertainment product and make it seem like hard work, people will just not bother. It's supposed to be relaxing.
    Thanks. You just saved me the trouble of typing that, as I'd have said pretty much exactly the same.

    I have always refused to install Steam for these, and a couple of other, reasons and have yet to see a reason to change that. So if something runs exclusively on Steam .... pass, I can live without it. Will Steam care? Not about me, and not about us and like-minded individuals unless there is a massive switch to that stance. I'm not holding my breath.

    And if I'm not willing to install Steam to gain access to games, I think it's pretty evident what my stance would be to *any* other launcher.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •