Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: AMD announces Ryzen Pro 3000 Series Processors

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28,921
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,865 times in 638 posts

    AMD announces Ryzen Pro 3000 Series Processors

    There are new Ryzen / Athlon Pro processors with built-in Radeon Vega Graphics too.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: AMD announces Ryzen Pro 3000 Series Processors

    so pro is different to reg? e.g 3900X vs 3900X pro ?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,464
    Thanks
    89
    Thanked
    196 times in 140 posts

    Re: AMD announces Ryzen Pro 3000 Series Processors

    Quote Originally Posted by tomcoleman View Post
    so pro is different to reg? e.g 3900X vs 3900X pro ?
    They're probably on the horizon https://www.amd.com/en/ryzen-pro

    The 1st and 2nd gens had some X series processors.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,378
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    68 times in 60 posts

    Re: AMD announces Ryzen Pro 3000 Series Processors

    So basically at best it has some extra 'encryption' or protection over the normal ryzen3... wouldn't it have been worthwhile having some of these features in normal desktop cpu's.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,464
    Thanks
    89
    Thanked
    196 times in 140 posts

    Re: AMD announces Ryzen Pro 3000 Series Processors

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    So basically at best it has some extra 'encryption' or protection over the normal ryzen3... wouldn't it have been worthwhile having some of these features in normal desktop cpu's.
    But then you wouldn't have a business focused CPU that you can dramatically increase margins on then?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    7 times in 6 posts

    Re: AMD announces Ryzen Pro 3000 Series Processors

    I've been waiting for the 3400G to build a small desktop for my son (bit of casual gaming but mostly stuff for school). My daughter has a machine with a 2400G in it but that lacks the "pro" nomenclature; is this a different class to the 2400G?!

  7. #7
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    15,044
    Thanks
    1,194
    Thanked
    2,246 times in 1,847 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 1x 8GB DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

    Re: AMD announces Ryzen Pro 3000 Series Processors

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    But then you wouldn't have a business focused CPU that you can dramatically increase margins on then?
    Not really the point. IF you pay more for the PRO series (which is tricky to work out since they're OEM only) what you're paying for is the dedicated enterprise-level support, as much as any specific features. And if you're an enterprise of > 1000 staff (or you're on OEM selling to an enterprise of > 1000 staff) that's kind of critical, because you're going to have a lot of processors that will need a lot of support.

    Quote Originally Posted by daddacool View Post
    I've been waiting for the 3400G to build a small desktop for my son (bit of casual gaming but mostly stuff for school). My daughter has a machine with a 2400G in it but that lacks the "pro" nomenclature; is this a different class to the 2400G?!
    Depends what you mean by "class". The 2400G and 2400G PRO are silicon identical. The PRO may have some additional features enabled, but they're down by fusing or microcode rather than a dedicated version of the silicon. But, as I mentioned above, the PRO series have an entirely different model of support targeted at large businesses, or the OEMs that sell to them (e.g. Dell premier, HP enterprise ...).

    For a home user, there's no point even thinking about a PRO series processor: they're generally not available at retail anyway, and they won't get you anything that's actually useful to you.

    As to the 3400G, it's already available at retail, it's basically just a 2400G transferred to a 12nm process (v. 14nm) with very performance minor tweaks, and it's probably exactly the processor you're looking for.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    7 times in 6 posts

    Re: AMD announces Ryzen Pro 3000 Series Processors

    Ah cheers, I'd been keeping an eye out for the 3400G and obviously missed it!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,464
    Thanks
    89
    Thanked
    196 times in 140 posts

    Re: AMD announces Ryzen Pro 3000 Series Processors

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Not really the point. IF you pay more for the PRO series (which is tricky to work out since they're OEM only) what you're paying for is the dedicated enterprise-level support, as much as any specific features. And if you're an enterprise of > 1000 staff (or you're on OEM selling to an enterprise of > 1000 staff) that's kind of critical, because you're going to have a lot of processors that will need a lot of support.
    I know, was just taking the mick

  10. Received thanks from:

    Strawb77 (05-10-2019)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •