Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Half Life: Alyx trailer and minimum recommended specs revealed

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    29,110
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,869 times in 642 posts

    Half Life: Alyx trailer and minimum recommended specs revealed

    Releasing in March 2020, the game will be free for owners of the Valve Index headset.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts
    • mikeo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Gaming M5
      • CPU:
      • I7 8700k @ 4.9 all cores
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510, Samsung 970 EVO, Samsung SM951 NVMe, EVO 850, EVO 840, Vertex 4, Vertex 2 & 2x F3 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 1080 TI Gaming
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra 850w Titanium
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-B25F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 (retail)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • Xilo/Uno broadband partial LLU via TalkTalk

    Re: Half Life: Alyx trailer and minimum recommended specs revealed

    Still waiting for HL3 like many people.
    Live long and prosper.

  3. #3
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 1 post

    Re: Half Life: Alyx trailer and minimum recommended specs revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
    Still waiting for HL3 like many people.
    Me too. As this is VR and I dont have a VR headset it is a wasted opportunity for some sales of this game, unless its playable with mouse and K/b without any VR.

    If they were to release HL3 or even Portal3 they would sell like hotcakes, as for VR not so much.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts
    • mikeo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Gaming M5
      • CPU:
      • I7 8700k @ 4.9 all cores
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510, Samsung 970 EVO, Samsung SM951 NVMe, EVO 850, EVO 840, Vertex 4, Vertex 2 & 2x F3 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 1080 TI Gaming
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra 850w Titanium
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-B25F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 (retail)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • Xilo/Uno broadband partial LLU via TalkTalk

    Re: Half Life: Alyx trailer and minimum recommended specs revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by Mapester View Post
    ...If they were to release HL3 or even Portal3 they would sell like hotcakes, as for VR not so much.
    Could not agree more. It's been in my opinion, a wasted opportunity for them to make a fair bit of cash. Can't understand their marketing strategy here at all !!!
    Live long and prosper.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Redditch, United Kingdom
    Posts
    340
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    10 times in 7 posts

    Re: Half Life: Alyx trailer and minimum recommended specs revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapester View Post
    ...If they were to release HL3 or even Portal3 they would sell like hotcakes, as for VR not so much.
    Could not agree more. It's been in my opinion, a wasted opportunity for them to make a fair bit of cash. Can't understand their marketing strategy here at all !!!
    They have yet to make a game that would push the boundaries and meet the expectations of what HL3 should be. I rather not see a game tbh than see slap dash thing with hl3 stuck on side just to "make money".

  6. #6
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Half Life: Alyx trailer and minimum recommended specs revealed

    > a wasted opportunity for them to make a fair bit of cash

    Isn't the strategy to push VR gaming a bit more mainstream. It's a Nintendo-like move, commit 100% to a new control strategy. They already went head first into VR and now they're using their biggest gaming property as the hook. To not do so would be like Nintendo releasing a new console and not putting Mario on it.

    If it succeeds it would sell a lot of Valve VR gear and future games, and potentially be historically significant as the first really huge VR-only game. Since they run Steam, they have money to to burn, so they can afford to play games with the market, they don't need to make money on sales of a simple sequel like HL3, they have much grander ideas in mind.
    Last edited by ataru; 23-11-2019 at 11:02 AM.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked
    11 times in 10 posts

    Re: Half Life: Alyx trailer and minimum recommended specs revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
    Could not agree more. It's been in my opinion, a wasted opportunity for them to make a fair bit of cash. Can't understand their marketing strategy here at all !!!
    I agree. I don't get what they're doing either. As I don't have VR and have no interest in it, I won't be able to play this game. And from what I've seen, this game is apparently going to be the same length of HL2 (~12 hours)... so why don't they release a full PC game instead of VR? Wasted opportunity IMO. I know they don't need money, but this is still baffling. Also the only people that care about HL3, in any form are getting old... wasn't the last one like 15 years ago?

    And at this point even if they do release a HL3, it will never meet the expectation (DNF anyone)... as they hype is will never match reality. I might have just answered my own question as to why they'll never release HL3. Oh well, shame really.
    Last edited by Scryder; 23-11-2019 at 11:05 AM.
    "Arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you!" - Ambassador Londo Mollari

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts
    • mikeo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Gaming M5
      • CPU:
      • I7 8700k @ 4.9 all cores
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510, Samsung 970 EVO, Samsung SM951 NVMe, EVO 850, EVO 840, Vertex 4, Vertex 2 & 2x F3 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 1080 TI Gaming
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra 850w Titanium
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-B25F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 (retail)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • Xilo/Uno broadband partial LLU via TalkTalk

    Re: Half Life: Alyx trailer and minimum recommended specs revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by aniilv View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapester View Post
    ...If they were to release HL3 or even Portal3 they would sell like hotcakes, as for VR not so much.
    Could not agree more. It's been in my opinion, a wasted opportunity for them to make a fair bit of cash. Can't understand their marketing strategy here at all !!!
    They have yet to make a game that would push the boundaries and meet the expectations of what HL3 should be. I rather not see a game tbh than see slap dash thing with hl3 stuck on side just to "make money".
    While I tend to agree with your comment. I still "personally" find it a bit disappointing that a proper sequel to HL2 (aca. HL3) hasn't appeared in some 15 years. If not HL3 for whatever reason, then they could have at least finished the story arc that they started with HL2 episode 1/2.
    Live long and prosper.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts
    • mikeo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Gaming M5
      • CPU:
      • I7 8700k @ 4.9 all cores
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510, Samsung 970 EVO, Samsung SM951 NVMe, EVO 850, EVO 840, Vertex 4, Vertex 2 & 2x F3 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 1080 TI Gaming
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra 850w Titanium
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-B25F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 (retail)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • Xilo/Uno broadband partial LLU via TalkTalk

    Re: Half Life: Alyx trailer and minimum recommended specs revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by ataru View Post
    > a wasted opportunity for them to make a fair bit of cash

    Isn't the strategy to push VR gaming a bit more mainstream. It's a Nintendo-like move, commit 100% to a new control strategy. They already went head first into VR and now they're using their biggest gaming property as the hook. To not do so would be like Nintendo releasing a new console and not putting Mario on it.

    If it succeeds it would sell a lot of Valve VR gear and future games, and potentially be historically significant as the first really huge VR-only game. Since they run Steam, they have money to to burn, so they can afford to play games with the market, they don't need to make money on sales of a simple sequel like HL3, they have much grander ideas in mind.
    You may well be right. Time will tell as usual and I wish them well. TBC
    Live long and prosper.

  10. #10
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Half Life: Alyx trailer and minimum recommended specs revealed

    Hlf is alive, long live the king.

  11. #11
    Hellsteeth! Lord Midas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Amazingstoke
    Posts
    853
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked
    16 times in 15 posts
    • Lord Midas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ELITE
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 9700k w/ Corsair H100i Hydro PRO RGB Liquid CPU Cooler
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 8GB x 2
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe M.2 + 2TB Intel 660p NVMe M.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus RTX 2080 TURBO 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM88 Ultrawide 34" - 3440x1440
      • Internet:
      • Virgin - Speakers: Pair of Adam T5V

    Re: Half Life: Alyx trailer and minimum recommended specs revealed

    lol. I find it amusing that the first thing many people do when Valve announces a new Half-Life game is to complain about it. Ok, it's not HL3 but perhaps they don't want to finish the story. Alyx allows them to expand on the story before the end.

    I don't have VR, and am not the target audience for it, but you have to realise the commitment Valve have with VR. They have their own hardware and it probably isn't selling like the hot-cakes they wished it world. HL Alyx looks astonishing, and will probably break new ground with VR. THIS could be the ticket to the hot-cake goodness they've been waiting for.
    Kickstarters Pledged:
    Godus Stonehearth Rain World Satellite Reign


  12. #12
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    10,227
    Thanks
    519
    Thanked
    1,058 times in 902 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Half Life: Alyx trailer and minimum recommended specs revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Midas View Post
    HL Alyx looks astonishing, and will probably break new ground with VR. THIS could be the ticket to the hot-cake goodness they've been waiting for.
    Quite a few people have had a go wit my Rift now, and pretty much all of them said they thought it was amazing and would love one. I don't think a single one of those people have actually bought a headset though, the entry price is just too high still.

    Price is improving, the GPU and CPU requirements are no longer considered high end, but headsets seem to be improving rather than cost reducing. That's probably they right direction, there is room for improvement and when people who don't yet have a headset need to spend £1000 on a desktop PC on top of the £400 for a headset it probably makes more sense to get existing users to upgrade and service the low end with second hand kit.

    Still, if Valve make a good game there are already enough Steam VR users to get good sales and perhaps move the worlds of VR and Half Life both forwards.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •