Thread: Colour e-ink displays on way to e-readers and e-notebooks

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Colour e-ink displays on way to e-readers and e-notebooks

They use a new faster and lighter component technology called 'Print-Color E Ink'.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Colour e-ink displays on way to e-readers and e-notebooks

Interesting .... though for me, probably only up to a point.

When I think about my e-reader usage, at least these days, it's almost entirely for things (like novels) that are monochrome anyway. Maybe I could be encouraged into e-magazines, but to be honest, I prefer print copies of the few I get.

So .... cost?

Given that I don't really need colour, it would have to be at no more that a modest extra cost, for me to be interested. Also, I use an e-reader for books etc because it is much more comfortable to read that an active display, so a colour e-reader absolutely must not be at the cost of reduced comfort of reading monochrome.

If that proves to be the case, and as/when prices reach more or less parity .... these probably are the death knell for mono e-readers.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • rabidmunkee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2060 OC
      • PSU:
      • EVGA
      • Operating System:
      • Win & debian
      • Internet:
      • fast-ish

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    …..
    If that proves to be the case, and as/when prices reach more or less parity .... these probably are the death knell for mono e-readers.
    I would say the colour displays will be at a premium and b&w e-ink displays will be here for budget models for a while yet

It is interesting though

Welcome to stampytown! Salazaar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Salazaar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450m Steel Legend
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT

Interesting .... though for me, probably only up to a point.

When I think about my e-reader usage, at least these days, it's almost entirely for things (like novels) that are monochrome anyway. Maybe I could be encouraged into e-magazines, but to be honest, I prefer print copies of the few I get.

So .... cost?

Given that I don't really need colour, it would have to be at no more that a modest extra cost, for me to be interested. Also, I use an e-reader for books etc because it is much more comfortable to read that an active display, so a colour e-reader absolutely must not be at the cost of reduced comfort of reading monochrome.

Sort of agree with you, cost will be the main factor for me assuming all else is roughly equal. I'd pay a modest premium but not a dramatic one over the cost of a greyscale e-reader.

For me, I already read a lot of book on an e-reader, and while glossy magazines and comics are nice, those that I get are essentially disposable so it would be convenient for me to have them on an e-reader rather than cluttering up my house, or heading for the recycling bin.
    ____
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabidmunkee View Post
    I would say the colour displays will be at a premium and b&w e-ink displays will be here for budget models for a while yet

It is interesting though
    For a while yet, certainly. Probably quite a while. But consider thecintroduction of colour TVs .... it pretty much finished off B&W ones, though it took a while and no doubt there's a few holdouts to this day.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Salazaar View Post
    Sort of agree with you, cost will be the main factor for me assuming all else is roughly equal. I'd pay a modest premium but not a dramatic one over the cost of a greyscale e-reader.

For me, I already read a lot of book on an e-reader, and while glossy magazines and comics are nice, those that I get are essentially disposable so it would be convenient for me to have them on an e-reader rather than cluttering up my house, or heading for the recycling bin.
    The disposability point is one I take. For me, I like magazines for when I don't have the inclination towards e-devices. I don't get many, but when I do, it's nearly always for something specific. And, these days, I usually keep them. I have some going back several decades.

Not many, all told, though. Unlike books. I've enough of them to open a small library.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Think what else would be in colour, though - Wiring diagrams, technical manuals, art books, product catalogues, museum placards, restaurant menus, transport schedules. Anything that is mostly static during it's display time, but might need to be easily altered or replaced... all without hacking down loads of trees for paper, and using far far less power than normal screens.

Heck, you could get a large e-ink screen and have it replace all your picture frames at home. Choose whether to display the Mona Lisa, or change your mind and have the Laughing Cavalier one day, a motivational poster the next, and perhaps a photo you took yourself. I'd be able to get that 'Ninja Turtles' gallery, with the upper balconies each dedicated to Rembrandt and Caravaggio!!

Thanks

Agreed on all that, Ttask. Which is why I framed my usage the way I did, i.e. current usage, rather than what I might have done 10, or even 5, years ago.

I just don't see me using it that way. Or not often, at least. Lots of people will, but probably not me, and certainly not enough to pay a hefty premium.

Should the price difference be modest, then when and if I have to replace my current reader .... maybe. But I don't see me replacing this one until I have to .... i.e. when it dies. If.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabidmunkee View Post
    …..

It is interesting though
    probably the Kindle would be B&W, while the kindle Oasis would be color.

Thanks
    • kellyharding's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B550M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen R5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Geil
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD, 2x 480GB SATA SSD, 4Tb WD BLack HDD, 2x Hiitachi 2Tb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte WindForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet! System Power 700W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core V21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 23", Samsung SM2343BW, NEC 1970nxp
      • Internet:
      • EE 70Mbps

As said above, interesting and welcome.

I think a device that supported A4 size document viewing might have a practical use for e-magazine and e-comic use perhaps, and technical/academic use as study/research aids. Why carry lots of heavy books around, when you can have them on a thin and light device?

Price will be key, but like all new devices, first gen is always more expensive and when it (hopefully) gets a couple of generations the prices will start to fall, perhaps not to kindle/kobo prices, but closer.

I can see Amazon/Kobo etc liking this and I'd expect colour e-Ink models from them at some point in the future.
    Desktop MSI B550M Mortar, Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB DDR4 3200, 1Tb NVMe SSD, 2x480GB SATA SSD, 4Tb + 2x2Tb HDD, 3x monitors, Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Server MSI Z170A Gaming M7, Intel i7-6700K, 16Gb DDR 2400, 120Gb SATA SSD, 1Tb WD Black HDD, 4x 4Tb HDD in RAID5

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by will19565 View Post
    probably the Kindle would be B&W, while the kindle Oasis would be color.
    Initially, very likely. Colour will be a premium price/range. But, as kellyharding said, prices tend to fall over generations. The point will likely come, as it did with B&W TV's ( for those that remember them) when the margin between colour and mono is either so small that it's insignificant, or where it's just not worth producing mono models any more unless there's a non-price reason to do so - like perhaps battery life, etc.

My bet is it'll take a few years to get there, not least because manufacturers will want to cream off early adopter profit matgins from those willing to pay for colour. But once this comes in properly, will mono laster 5+ years? I rather doubt it.

The A4 support is a bit of a different issue. Even modest-sized current tablet/e-reader devices support A4 document sizes .... but using zoom, etc. If you mean an A4 device .... I think that's a different market. Colour probably makes more sense there, both because of the magazjne-type usage, and because A4 is already a premium device compared to most e-readers or 7" type tablets.

Personally, I already have a 7" tablet, a 10.4" tablet and (several generations of) e-reader, but they're for different purposes.

The major benefit of a smaller e-reader, to me at least, is that it isn't big and cumbersome. As roughly standard paoerback size, it's much easier to carry, and use, especially one-handed, than even the 10.4" tablet on both size and weight grounds.

Just as there'# reasons for both smaller and bigger devices now, so there will be with colour e-readers, and e-magazines etc will probably be a good part of the use for larger colour e-readers.

I could even end up with both, depending on price. In an ideal world, a colour e-reader with full tablet functionality as well, but with e-reader battery life. Now tht really would appeal to me, at either 7" or A4-ish. I live in hope.

Thread Information