Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 23

Thread: Disney pulls half its shows from Sky / Now TV

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    29,287
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,924 times in 668 posts

    Disney pulls half its shows from Sky / Now TV

    Move is seen as a precursor to the launch of Disney+ in the UK.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member spacein_vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Darkest Northamptonshire
    Posts
    1,446
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked
    377 times in 237 posts
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B85M-G
      • CPU:
      • i5 4460 3.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Crucial DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100, 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus RX 480 Dual OC 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Pop!_OS 19:10 / Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

    Re: Disney pulls half its shows from Sky / Now TV

    Fairly obvious I would have thought, as the deals expire they'll be pulled into the Disney+ portal and disappear from Sky. Same was true with Netflix various Marvel series.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    140
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts

    Re: Disney pulls half its shows from Sky / Now TV

    Is this why UK is getting disney+ half a year late?

  4. #4
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts
    • PsyaNyde's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Gaming plus
      • CPU:
      • i5 8400
      • Memory:
      • 16gb DDR4
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1060 6gb
      • Case:
      • 1st Player Steam Punk SP8 Gaming Case
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" 4k Electriq + Prolite E2483HS
      • Internet:
      • 100mb Virgin Broadband

    Re: Disney pulls half its shows from Sky / Now TV

    Yeah, i'm looking at doing away with my aerial and tv licence, and getting Disney+ along with Netflix OR Amazon prime video, haven't decided which of those 2 to plump for yet.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Disney pulls half its shows from Sky / Now TV

    Disney are a bit late to the party. Kind of hope they get burnt by this. There is only so many monthlys a family can take on.

  6. #6
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Disney pulls half its shows from Sky / Now TV

    Does this not need to be sent to the monopoly and mergers commission in the uk as im not paying for another service if they are going to push their way in.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    382
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    23 times in 17 posts
    • Bagpuss's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9-9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3400
      • Storage:
      • Gigabyte 512GB NVMe SSD, Crucial 1Tb NVMe SSD, 6Tb Seagate 7200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Black Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850 RMx 850 Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify C Copper Front Panel
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG UK850 27in 4K HDR Freesync/Gsync
      • Internet:
      • Three Mobile 4G Unlimited Data (35-45Mbit)

    Re: Disney pulls half its shows from Sky / Now TV

    Meanwhile all those in the UK who 'really' wanted to see The Mandalorian...have.

  8. #8
    Now 100% Apple free cheesemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near the New forest
    Posts
    2,337
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked
    154 times in 108 posts
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k @ 4.2
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Crucial Ballastix Elite DDR3 @1866
      • Storage:
      • 64Gb M4 + 240Gb arc100 + 2x500Gb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W Semi modular
      • Case:
      • NZXT Source S340 Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~30Mb

    Re: Disney pulls half its shows from Sky / Now TV

    Quote Originally Posted by JaymondoGB View Post
    Disney are a bit late to the party. Kind of hope they get burnt by this. There is only so many monthlys a family can take on.
    Welcome to the future where you need to switch providers every few months so you take advantage of offers and binge watch the exclusives!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nollauno View Post
    Does this not need to be sent to the monopoly and mergers commission in the uk as im not paying for another service if they are going to push their way in.
    Good luck - Disney already own all this stuff (Its also no monopoly as Sky/Netfix/Amazon prime still exist) and lets face it - Its just the same tactic Sky did to get all the content in the first place! (Also do you really think a Boris Johnson government will get in the way of Big Business?)
    Trust

    Laptop : Lenovo G505s A8-5550m 8Gb 240Gb SSD Radeon HD 8550G + Radeon HD 8570M dual graphics

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    319
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    34 times in 29 posts
    • iworrall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B350M TUF Gaming
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB C14 Team Group "Dark Pro"
      • Storage:
      • 512Gb Samsung 970 Evo NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix Advanced GTX1080
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 1KW
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core V21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 / Kubuntu 19.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator X34A
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

    Re: Disney pulls half its shows from Sky / Now TV

    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Meanwhile all those in the UK who 'really' wanted to see The Mandalorian...have.
    Arr!

  10. #10
    Senior Member spacein_vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Darkest Northamptonshire
    Posts
    1,446
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked
    377 times in 237 posts
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B85M-G
      • CPU:
      • i5 4460 3.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Crucial DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100, 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus RX 480 Dual OC 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Pop!_OS 19:10 / Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

    Re: Disney pulls half its shows from Sky / Now TV

    Quote Originally Posted by Usernamist View Post
    Is this why UK is getting disney+ half a year late?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by JaymondoGB View Post
    Disney are a bit late to the party. Kind of hope they get burnt by this. There is only so many monthlys a family can take on.
    I suspect Disney and it's subsidiaries have enough content that it'll be one of the others people drop to have access to Disney/Pixar/20th century fox/Marvel/star wars/NatGeo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nollauno View Post
    Does this not need to be sent to the monopoly and mergers commission in the uk as im not paying for another service if they are going to push their way in.
    So you think an extra service that provides more competition in the TV market needs referring on the grounds of monopoly? Curious.

    At the minute there is one provider of Disney content (sky) with an asking price of £20+ a month. After this there will still be one provider of this content (Disney+) for an asking price under half that. How is this anticompetitive?

  11. Received thanks from:

    Saracen999 (06-01-2020)

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,393
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    123 times in 101 posts
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce GTX460 SC
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

    Re: Disney pulls half its shows from Sky / Now TV

    Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    So you think an extra service that provides more competition in the TV market needs referring on the grounds of monopoly? Curious.
    People regularly confuse monopoly with competition when it means they have to pay for more things just to watch what they want.

    At the end of the day, what consumers actually want is 1 single service the shows everything, which is a monopoly, what they get is the privilege of paying for lots of services just to get a few shows on each, which is competition.

  13. #12
    Editable... jimbouk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    2,563
    Thanks
    189
    Thanked
    192 times in 153 posts
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock 970M Pro3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 480GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Radeon HD 7870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W
      • Case:
      • Old Asus mATX case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713HM
      • Internet:
      • Orange...

    Re: Disney pulls half its shows from Sky / Now TV

    Whilst an adult household might be happy to switch services every couple of months to have a quick binge on shows then rotate, I can image the nag power of little ones is going to be a powerful force keeping multiple subscriptions running because all the friends in the playground watch X & y & z across the services.

  14. #13
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts

    Re: Disney pulls half its shows from Sky / Now TV

    Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Usernamist View Post
    Is this why UK is getting disney+ half a year late?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by JaymondoGB View Post
    Disney are a bit late to the party. Kind of hope they get burnt by this. There is only so many monthlys a family can take on.
    I suspect Disney and it's subsidiaries have enough content that it'll be one of the others people drop to have access to Disney/Pixar/20th century fox/Marvel/star wars/NatGeo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nollauno View Post
    Does this not need to be sent to the monopoly and mergers commission in the uk as im not paying for another service if they are going to push their way in.
    So you think an extra service that provides more competition in the TV market needs referring on the grounds of monopoly? Curious.

    At the minute there is one provider of Disney content (sky) with an asking price of £20+ a month. After this there will still be one provider of this content (Disney+) for an asking price under half that. How is this anticompetitive?

    Nope. It's corporate greed like this that pushes users to piracy.

    You then have the fat cats and lawyers stating how piracy is evil (hence the term they enforce to describe it, it's not piracy, but the real terms don't sound vile or evil enough)

    These fat cats will attempt to push these overpriced subscriptions, with limited content (mostly bland filler and old shows) amongst all other subscriptions.

    Let's not forget the gaming subscriptions (especially for families who may have more than one brand or different preferences)

    Mobile subscriptions/ Bill's, this is just the first few off the top of my head.

    Granted, these are first world problems, undoubtedly. But if you take the costs into account, not only is the general use without disposable income, they are far beyond their means.

  15. #14
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts

    Re: Disney pulls half its shows from Sky / Now TV

    I feel I should mention here the action taken by these conglomerate a few years back.

    Instances like dead grandmothers being sent cease and desist orders, court summons, etc.

    They couldn't accept user demand and simply want to control and dictate, at VERY high cost and profitability.

    Disney was VERY washed out at the time.

    They've clearly realised that, despite their size, they would go the way of the dodo.

    They've bought Fox, made various changes and now look to take the helm as a controlling conglomerate once more.

    I am aware I sound very cynical, but if they take even a fraction of the users the aim to, everyone is in trouble.

    If Netflix can survive, at least there's some competition, but in a few years we could be back to where we were with physical media.

  16. #15
    Senior Member spacein_vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Darkest Northamptonshire
    Posts
    1,446
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked
    377 times in 237 posts
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B85M-G
      • CPU:
      • i5 4460 3.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Crucial DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100, 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus RX 480 Dual OC 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Pop!_OS 19:10 / Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

    Re: Disney pulls half its shows from Sky / Now TV

    Quote Originally Posted by BobF64 View Post
    People regularly confuse monopoly with competition when it means they have to pay for more things just to watch what they want.

    At the end of the day, what consumers actually want is 1 single service the shows everything, which is a monopoly, what they get is the privilege of paying for lots of services just to get a few shows on each, which is competition.
    Maybe, but that hasn't existed in the UK TV market since ITV launched in 1955. It's also the opposite of what the Monopolys commission (or whatever it's called these days,) is designed to do, so any referal to them will go nowhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo69 View Post
    Nope. It's corporate greed like this that pushes users to piracy.

    You then have the fat cats and lawyers stating how piracy is evil (hence the term they enforce to describe it, it's not piracy, but the real terms don't sound vile or evil enough)

    These fat cats will attempt to push these overpriced subscriptions, with limited content (mostly bland filler and old shows) amongst all other subscriptions.

    Let's not forget the gaming subscriptions (especially for families who may have more than one brand or different preferences)

    Mobile subscriptions/ Bill's, this is just the first few off the top of my head.

    Granted, these are first world problems, undoubtedly. But if you take the costs into account, not only is the general use without disposable income, they are far beyond their means.
    Current TV networks show mostly bland filler and old shows too, but at least with streaming services the cost is lower and can be cancelled at 30 days notice.

    Also while I take your point on subs for other things there really is no model that works for mobile phone coverage. They provide you with an ongoing service (access to their network for calls/texts/data,) with ongoing costs so there's an ongoing charge.

  17. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Where you are not
    Posts
    678
    Thanks
    267
    Thanked
    53 times in 42 posts
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 9700K
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250GB / 1 x 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 2080 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HXi 850
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-X500B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 40Mbps SKY Fibre

    Re: Disney pulls half its shows from Sky / Now TV

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo69 View Post
    Nope. It's corporate greed like this that pushes users to piracy.
    Looking at this currently and to where it seems to be heading, I can imagine that piracy will return in force if there is too much fragmentation of the streaming services. That would cost far more than having less competition where everyone has their own streaming services for their own content they own. It's odd to see this potentially happening a little further down the road.

    As to Disney pulling content from Sky and NOW TV? I take no issue with that, I'm keeping Netflix (even without Disney content there is still content I want to watch), I'm keeping Amazon Prime (because I don't get it for the video component, although that's a nice extra). I'll likely drop NOW TV on a rotational basis and have Apple TV and Disney+ for more variety. Either way, my limit is Netflix / Amazon + £15. Be interesting to see how SKY adapt or respond.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •