Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detailed Comet Lake-S CPU lineup appears to have leaked

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Detailed Comet Lake-S CPU lineup appears to have leaked

All the Core i3 chips feature 4C/8T. The high end 10C/20T i9-10900K turbos to 5.3GHz.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Detailed Comet Lake-S CPU lineup appears to have leaked

Proof will be in how much they have cut prices...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Registered+
    Thanks

The numbers look nice but I wonder if these will be slower than last gen in most tasks like the Core i9 10980XE was?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyflier View Post
    The numbers look nice but I wonder if these will be slower than last gen in most tasks like the Core i9 10980XE was?
    That i7-10700k is almost identical to a stock 9900k so it should be easy enough to spot the differences.

Thanks
    • zaph0d's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570-A Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 48GB - 2X 32GB and 2X 16GB at 3200
      • Storage:
      • 480GB NVME (OS) 2TB 8 Drive sas Raid0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 1070
      • PSU:
      • 1000W Coolermaster
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-343B (Original Model)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2X 55" Samsung 4k tv's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 500Mb

These should be pretty powerful, well at least until the exploits start to come out...

Thanks
    • rabidmunkee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2060 OC
      • PSU:
      • EVGA
      • Operating System:
      • Win & debian
      • Internet:
      • fast-ish

Will these have meltdown/spectre fixes or are we still well off that?

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

I couple of generations ago the top chips where 4c8t, now thats an i3.

I wonder if AMDs lineup had anything to do with this.

Thanks

2 questions that we almost certainly know the answers:
    1) Are the know security issues been fixed?
    2) Are prices been adjusted?

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Nothing particularly exciting - the key will be the pricing....

Intel is already ahead or equal to AMD on the performance side of things for general consumers & especially gamers (i.e. things that don't scale well over more than 4 scores, which is 95%+ of consumer software) - but the problem is thats at a price point 20-40% higher than AMD...meaning that unless you have £450 to spend on a CPU (and most people don't!) the sensible thing to do atm is to buy a Ryzen chip. Even at that top end there is a good argument to go Ryzen unless your primary focus is gaming. As a result they don't really need to up performance too much, but they really do need to adjust their pricing tiers.

We're seeing that with the re-introduction of HT at the lower tiers (clearly forced upon them by the AMD competition), recent price cuts to the i7 & i9 series, and hopefully the introduction of the 10 series at an even lower price point. We'll see I guess. I won't be buying one from either company - i'll wait for the next generation before looking to upgrade my 6700k.

2021 should be the next interesting year - I predict we will see chips from both AMD and Intel with a high core count that can also do really strong single threaded performance - something that we don't really see now (closest being a 9900k clocked at 5ghz on all cores, but even then that's only 8). Things will get really interesting if that happens, and we should finally see some fairly even competition in the market, rather than the current false choice of strong single thread (Intel) or strong multi core (AMD).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    unless your primary focus is gaming
    Thing is that something like the r5 3600 is enough to drive pretty much any game to the point that you'll be either GPU limited at high quality settings or >120fps anyway; any CPU more expensive from either company is usually pretty marginal gains. The i5-9400f is a decent gaming chip, but 6c/6t means it can get threadlocked and stutter in some gaming situations. The cheapest Intel part that's either 6c/12t or 8c/8t is >£300, or £130 more than the 3600. We'll see where these new i5s land on price, although the new socket requirement means this lot probably won't be a great net cost at launch.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by edmundhonda View Post
    Thing is that something like the r5 3600 is enough to drive pretty much any game to the point that you'll be either GPU limited at high quality settings or >120fps anyway; any CPU more expensive from either company is usually pretty marginal gains. The i5-9400f is a decent gaming chip, but 6c/6t means it can get threadlocked and stutter in some gaming situations. The cheapest Intel part that's either 6c/12t or 8c/8t is >£300, or £130 more than the 3600. We'll see where these new i5s land on price, although the new socket requirement means this lot probably won't be a great net cost at launch.
    True enough, although it does vary hugely from game to game. There are enough situations where I can get a good benefit from swapping my 6700k to a 9900k that if I had money to burn I would do it...but I don't, so its not worth a £430 upgrade to me. Upping to a 10 series would likely cost in the region of £600 by the time a motherboard is added too...very unlikely to be worth it..but then I would have that issue swapping to ryzen too, especially given how pricey good ryzen boards are. The value equation is very much a personal thing - if for example, swapping out my GPU would gain me an extra 15FPS in PUBG, and increase the min FPS I would get (Rather than the max)...then it's very much worth it. That's less critical if all I play is tomb raider & minecraft, where your FPS doesn't really matter as long as its 60 or higher and is stable.

This was a very interesting video from gamersnexus that compares a lot of CPUs from the past few years, inc the middling intel & amd parts - shows just how much the benefits can vary. This is testing using a 2080ti to mostly remove the GPU from the equation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCV9yyD8X6M

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Keep buying AMD, let see how many cores we can get intel to throw at us!

2021 should be the next interesting year - I predict we will see chips from both AMD and Intel with a high core count that can also do really strong single threaded performance - something that we don't really see now (closest being a 9900k clocked at 5ghz on all cores, but even then that's only 8). Things will get really interesting if that happens, and we should finally see some fairly even competition in the market, rather than the current false choice of strong single thread (Intel) or strong multi core (AMD).
    "Strong single threaded" performance is workload dependent - the 3970X gets more single threaded performance than the 9900K in cinebench, so by that metric you've already got the best single and multithreaded performance in a single chip. AMD's boost behaviour is just plain better than intel's, so ryzen parts don't pay any penalty for having lots of cores in single threaded loads

Quote Originally Posted by edmundhonda View Post
    The new socket is key, I remember when coffee lake only had the enthusiast chipset available so all the price comparisons had to factor in a massive offset for the more expensive motherboard (+ cooler also for the K CPUs). The launch is basically paper for all but the i9s if we only get Z490 boards

True enough, although it does vary hugely from game to game. There are enough situations where I can get a good benefit from swapping my 6700k to a 9900k that if I had money to burn I would do it...but I don't, so its not worth a £430 upgrade to me. Upping to a 10 series would likely cost in the region of £600 by the time a motherboard is added too...very unlikely to be worth it..but then I would have that issue swapping to ryzen too, especially given how pricey good ryzen boards are. The value equation is very much a personal thing - if for example, swapping out my GPU would gain me an extra 15FPS in PUBG, and increase the min FPS I would get (Rather than the max)...then it's very much worth it. That's less critical if all I play is tomb raider & minecraft, where your FPS doesn't really matter as long as its 60 or higher and is stable.

This was a very interesting video from gamersnexus that compares a lot of CPUs from the past few years, inc the middling intel & amd parts - shows just how much the benefits can vary. This is testing using a 2080ti to mostly remove the GPU from the equation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCV9yyD8X6M
    You need a new motherboard to get a 9th (or 8th) gen CPU already, those need 3XX chipsets

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    "Strong single threaded" performance is workload dependent - the 3970X gets more single threaded performance than the 9900K in cinebench, so by that metric you've already got the best single and multithreaded performance in a single chip. AMD's boost behaviour is just plain better than intel's, so ryzen parts don't pay any penalty for having lots of cores in single threaded loads
    It is - but the 3960X is not really a consumer CPU, its a little unfair to compare it to the 9900k. If we start to bring in CPUs over £1k then the comparisons get very different Not sure what you mean on the boost issue - if you enable MCE the 9900k reportedly hits 5ghz boost on all cores simultaneously, so i'd assume the 10 series will be able to do the same.

You are right about the board, would need replacing either way. I hadn't spotted that

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

I like the sound of the 2.5GbE I225 chip, my AMD board has one of the Intel 1GbE chips on it so that bit of the announcement is useful

I'm surprised that Intel aren't rolling out Iris Pro cache ram die on top end parts. That made a decent performance increase when using discrete graphics by acting as a huge L4 cache

Thanks
    • spolsh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Crosshair VI
      • CPU:
      • R7 1700
      • Memory:
      • Team Froup DDR4

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1
    Not sure what you mean on the boost issue - if you enable MCE the 9900k reportedly hits 5ghz boost on all cores simultaneously, so i'd assume the 10 series will be able to do the same.
    From what I've been reading, 9900K chips released since the KS version came out have trouble getting to 5ghz all core - something to do with the pre-binning to have the more expensive model in the line-up.

Thanks

My R5 2600 is plenty powerful enough. I got bigger and better gains from a fast nvme ssd than I did from a faster cpu
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information