Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: AMD will release the Ryzen Threadripper 3990X on 7th Feb

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,715
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,996 times in 702 posts

    AMD will release the Ryzen Threadripper 3990X on 7th Feb

    This 64C/128 CPU with turbo clock of 4.3GHz is priced at US$3,990.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    30,083
    Thanks
    1,659
    Thanked
    3,099 times in 2,512 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: AMD will release the Ryzen Threadripper 3990X on 7th Feb

    Quote Originally Posted by hexus
    CEO Lisa Su boasted that she needed to use three screens to fit the performance bar chart across due to the extra performance on offer. There's a new performance metric for you - how many projector screens can it span?
    It looks like she was covering up for extremely wonky and misleading projector alignment - if you stretch/duplicate screens conveniently at the point there isn't an intel bar then you make the AMD bars look much longer than they should be. AMD don't need to resort to this level of duplicity so I hope it was just a terrible alignment job, which doesn't show up quality reputation very well.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    698
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    28 times in 20 posts
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

    Re: AMD will release the Ryzen Threadripper 3990X on 7th Feb

    Thats one helluva processor, you have to be some kid of dedicated,,,,,, something to take advantage of so much multi threaded performance.
    I don't think i need that much for editing my 4K videos now and then, but of course if i did that a lot every day the almighty power would be nice.

    TBH i was hoping for a larger GFX announcement too, its not fair Nvidia have the high end segment to them self.

  4. #4
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,024
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked
    348 times in 248 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: AMD will release the Ryzen Threadripper 3990X on 7th Feb

    Need....
    More....
    EPEEN!

    Where do I get the RGB version?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    231
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked
    13 times in 11 posts

    Re: AMD will release the Ryzen Threadripper 3990X on 7th Feb

    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    It looks like she was covering up for extremely wonky and misleading projector alignment - if you stretch/duplicate screens conveniently at the point there isn't an intel bar then you make the AMD bars look much longer than they should be.
    It's real data presented in a slightly comical way. The Intel 9900KS is at the bottom with 5k points and the 3990x is on top with 25k, so it all looks fine?

    Unless you're talking about the middle projection being misaligned, which is obviously a mistake.

  6. #6
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    30,083
    Thanks
    1,659
    Thanked
    3,099 times in 2,512 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: AMD will release the Ryzen Threadripper 3990X on 7th Feb

    Quote Originally Posted by edmundhonda View Post
    It's real data presented in a slightly comical way. The Intel 9900KS is at the bottom with 5k points and the 3990x is on top with 25k, so it all looks fine?

    Unless you're talking about the middle projection being misaligned, which is obviously a mistake.
    The data overlaps the screen breaks, effectively elongating the AMD bars - see how the 3950X should finish on the first screen, but it's continued again on the second. Presumably the same overlap happens on the third screen, extending the 3990X even more. I just don't see the point - the results are good enough already, no need to make the AMD bars even longer than they should be.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    698
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    28 times in 20 posts
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

    Re: AMD will release the Ryzen Threadripper 3990X on 7th Feb

    Well i will take a guy brandishing his epeen any day over a guy brandishing his carpeen ( most likely of the BMW brand )
    The Epeen guy you can ignore, the car peen guy in his BMW will probably kill you or someone you care about, or at least make anytime you venture out into traffic i nightmare.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    12 times in 10 posts

    Re: AMD will release the Ryzen Threadripper 3990X on 7th Feb

    $3990 for the 3990X - glad not all Ryzen CPUs are taking on that pricing format - cost would increase £1000 for each generation! That's what intel usually do!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    231
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked
    13 times in 11 posts

    Re: AMD will release the Ryzen Threadripper 3990X on 7th Feb

    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    The data overlaps the screen breaks, effectively elongating the AMD bars - see how the 3950X should finish on the first screen, but it's continued again on the second. Presumably the same overlap happens on the third screen, extending the 3990X even more. I just don't see the point - the results are good enough already, no need to make the AMD bars even longer than they should be.
    Oh, I get what you mean!

    That's an artifact of how the middle projection is recessed behind the outside ones. If you look at the video at ~42:10, you can see it from a pretty central angle, so there's almost no overlap. The screencap Hexus used is offset to the right, so you're seeing into the partition.

    I guess you could call it a deliberate trick, but that's a conspiracy too far for me.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,917
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked
    248 times in 179 posts

    Re: AMD will release the Ryzen Threadripper 3990X on 7th Feb

    Quote Originally Posted by maverick77_uk View Post
    $3990 for the 3990X - glad not all Ryzen CPUs are taking on that pricing format - cost would increase £1000 for each generation! That's what intel usually do!
    What are you on about, this is pretty reasonable (relatively speaking) for the specification. 5 years a 10 core HEDT was that price.

    Were you expecting AMD to give you the largest, strongest and most capable CPU on the market away for buttons?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    12 times in 10 posts

    Re: AMD will release the Ryzen Threadripper 3990X on 7th Feb

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    What are you on about, this is pretty reasonable (relatively speaking) for the specification. 5 years a 10 core HEDT was that price.

    Were you expecting AMD to give you the largest, strongest and most capable CPU on the market away for buttons?
    LOL I was kinda joking The speed AMD has increased the CPU market over the past 2-3 years is incredible and impressive, and I don't doubt the value of the 3990X to the correct market for one second. They deserve all the income they can get from this CPU, especially as the lower offerings are also so reasonable for their target audiences.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •