Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Developer: our free game torrent resulted in 4x Steam sales

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31,709
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2,073 times in 719 posts

    Developer: our free game torrent resulted in 4x Steam sales

    Meanwhile Steam halts sales of GTA4 due to Games for Windows Live service issues.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    HEXUS.Squirrel Output's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,179
    Thanks
    969
    Thanked
    399 times in 291 posts
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Platinum @ 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte RX Vega 56 Gaming OC 8GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

    Re: Developer: our free game torrent resulted in 4x Steam sales

    On the GTA IV front, things were so much easier when you could use the XLiveLess mod as a workaround.

    Unfortunately that only worked up until 1.0.7.0, so when Rockstar did an update in more recent times (most likely to remove music that they no longer had the rights to), whoever made that mod was long gone and thus it obviously never got updated.

    Doing a search just now, I discovered this guide on Steam that was posted last month, that suggests there is a way for the game to work for Windows 10 uers, but I haven't tried it for myself.

    To be honest, I only really played it on PC to free-roam and try out various mods (including better graphics packs), since I'd already played the actual story on the console versions in the years previous to that.

  3. #3
    MCRN Tachi Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    6,881
    Thanks
    628
    Thanked
    793 times in 662 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO USB 3.1
      • CPU:
      • i7 5960X o/c to 4.6GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe wiv perspex window
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB270HU 1440 IPS GSync 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

    Re: Developer: our free game torrent resulted in 4x Steam sales

    Quote Originally Posted by HEXUS View Post
    Last but not least Bobokhidze's appeal seems to have tugged the heartstrings of some buyers, with a number of them donating double the price of the game to encourage further development.
    So people will happily pay developers lots of money to keep them going, but take umbrage when Epic adopt the same mentality?
    _______________________________________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Tyson
    like a chihuahua urinating on a towering inferno...

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,385
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked
    304 times in 221 posts

    Re: Developer: our free game torrent resulted in 4x Steam sales

    Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    So people will happily pay developers lots of money to keep them going, but take umbrage when Epic adopt the same mentality?
    People paying them to keep going through crowd appreciation of an altruistic act...or paying to have sole rights to consumer sales.

    Hmm...

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    159
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts

    Re: Developer: our free game torrent resulted in 4x Steam sales

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    People paying them to keep going through crowd appreciation of an altruistic act...or paying to have sole rights to consumer sales.

    Hmm...
    Wow, look at the mental gymnastics these people have to put themselves through just to continue being a part of an internet meme

  6. Received thanks from:

    Ttaskmaster (15-01-2020)

  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    5 times in 3 posts
    • moshpit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF X570-Plus(WiFi)
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 5800X
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb (4x8Gb) 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance RGB
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP600 M.2 500Gb PCIe 4.0, Toshiba X300 6Tb SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY RTX 3090 24Gb XLR8 Revel Epic-X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide C400
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic XG2703-GS 1440p@165hz IPS Gsync
      • Internet:
      • d-220mbs/u-22mbs

    Re: Developer: our free game torrent resulted in 4x Steam sales

    Quote Originally Posted by Usernamist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    People paying them to keep going through crowd appreciation of an altruistic act...or paying to have sole rights to consumer sales.

    Hmm...
    Wow, look at the mental gymnastics these people have to put themselves through just to continue being a part of an internet meme
    Nice try to discredit a perfectly reasonable post, but your score is an F, for failure. Or is the idea of doing something for a good cause versus profit so complex that you had to jump through hoops to understand?

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    400
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    13 times in 12 posts

    Re: Developer: our free game torrent resulted in 4x Steam sales

    Quote Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Usernamist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    People paying them to keep going through crowd appreciation of an altruistic act...or paying to have sole rights to consumer sales.

    Hmm...
    Wow, look at the mental gymnastics these people have to put themselves through just to continue being a part of an internet meme
    Nice try to discredit a perfectly reasonable post, but your score is an F, for failure. Or is the idea of doing something for a good cause versus profit so complex that you had to jump through hoops to understand?
    They were also in it for a profit too. They just wanted brownie points for appearing altruistic. I actually agree that the whole Epic thing seems to be bandwagon hopping for the majority of people. Some of these same people will then ask microsoft for more exclusives for xbox to make it 'worth getting'...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •