Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: QOTW: How are you getting on with your AMD Ryzen processor?

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: QOTW: How are you getting on with your AMD Ryzen processor?

It's fine, wish it clicked higher. Max oc I managed on r5 1600 on Asus prime b350+ was 3.7, 3.8 wouldn't stick even at 1.45v.

Paired it with 3200 corsair ram an it can only manage 2800, eventually. It was a chore just getting that high.

Of course its a massive step up from my fx 6300 but that managed 4.7ghz on an h7 air cooler. If only the ryzens oced like that they'd be beastly.

IQ: 1.42
    Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

LOVE IT. I'm not a fan of upgrading the backbone (CPU/mobo/RAM) because that is graphics card levels of money and you don't really notice a real world improvement that a new top of the line card gives. But I put off upgrading for so long, as each new CPU was more disappointing than the last, especially from intel, in terms of both performance AND cost. But then AMD came out of left field with Ryzen and I had hope again. First one was shaky, second one was getting there, but 3rd time was definitely the charm. I moved from a quad core i7 and DDR3 1333 to an octacore with DDR4 3600, and the difference genuinely was like getting a new graphics card for a lot of things.

M.2 I'm meh about, fortunately the cost premium (or lack of one I should say) soaked up a lot of that meh, and I'm sure it'll come into its own as true 4K games become the norm. But the CPU performance, combined with the power usage, and therefore the heat output, has changed a lot for me. My old CPU when under load really pushed my cooler, the noise was really bad for my tinnitus. This new one even under load barely pulls 65w, and because games don't strain it like the old one, my fans keep a lot more quiet.

Now I just need to sort my FE card, as that bugger sounds like the inhuman hybrid of a plane and a hoover.

Thanks

Pretty happy with my 3600, only had issues flashing the bios. One small regret is getting the Tomahawk mobo instead of the Max version that I didn't realise would be a thing, but it works so no worries unless the bios won't be as forgiving for the 4000 series. Thankfully no headaches since as opposed to my 2500k. I decided the 3600 was the best for price to performance with high performance gaming in mind and allows the ability to upgrade to a better chip at a later date, or splurge on a future platform by not spending too much on the current system now. The first and 2nd gen weren't quite up to my standards, but thankfully AMD have closed the gap further while intel has made little progress...

Admittedly I haven't pushed my system too hard yet, though would like to update my gtx 970.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • loccothan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • RoG HeroVI RAM@3800MHz C16 1T
      • CPU:
      • ZEN 3700X 8/16 4.5GHz + LC CM Nepton 280X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB PredatorX 4133MHz CL19
      • Storage:
      • 1TB NVMe Samsung, 2xSamie Pro 850 512GB + HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3080 OC/UV
      • PSU:
      • XFX/Seasonic Gold 760 PSU
      • Case:
      • Big Tower Corsair 750D SilentO 5xFan
      • Operating System:
      • WinX Gamer ED, Customized
      • Monitor(s):
      • 10Bit 27" IIyama 1440p FreeSync 74Hz
      • Internet:
      • SB AE7, NET 600 MB/s

Zen 3700X (UPG. from 1700) | Hero VI | 4x8GB 4133MHz @3802MHz CL16 1900FLCK 1:1:1
    NVMe 1TB Sammie | Runing Vega LiQuiD
    Overall experience is great, stable & plenty fast.
    Games: (a lot) -> BFV, BF1, Forza H4, The Outer Worlds, The Division2, GhostR. Breakpoint.... and more.

Happy with it.
    CCX OC, 4C at 4382MHz 1.375v
    Stable at 4.3GHz 1.33v
    Can hit 4600MHz but it needs too much V (~1.5v)
    Last edited by loccothan; 02-02-2020 at 12:11 PM.
    ZEN 3700X, HeroVI | 32GB 3800MHz CL16 | RTX 3080 OC/UV | XFX 760 PSU | 10Bit 27" IIyama 1440p FS | 1TB NVMe Sammie, 2xSamie 850 512GB | SB-AE7+Audio-Technica ATH-AD1000X | DeathStalker, Roccat Nyth

Thanks
    • spolsh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Crosshair VI
      • CPU:
      • R7 1700
      • Memory:
      • Team Froup DDR4

Got 3 Ryzens here all holing up well (1700, 2400G and a 3600) ... The Intel i3 8350k on the other hand isn't holding up quite so well.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • meuvoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97-G45
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4460
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston 1866Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Adata 128GB SSD + 1,7TB HDD (inTotal)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia Geforce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750B2
      • Case:
      • Cougar 6GR1 Evolution
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 29" 21:9 Philips Brilliance 298P4QJEB

Are you running latest BIOS for your motherboard? It shouldn't give much trouble getting to 2933Mhz and possibly even 3200 when updated. Unless you're on A320. My personal experience is that A320 mobos just don't have stable enough power circuitry to achieve mostly any overclock. I had a 3000Mhz 8GB kit from G.skill on my B350 for an entire year, then upgraded to 16GB 2666Mhz that I could easily overclock to 2933, but the old kit I gave to my brother can't go beyond 2333 on his A320 novo, plus some people I know also can't get memory overclocks on their A320 mobos.
    Last edited by meuvoy; 01-02-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

heh - i did a long thread on this. Recently upgraded to X570 and the BIOS is rubbish compared to the X370. The last two won't even boot.
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Thanks

I have now got 2 x 2600 with Asus Prime B450-A's in them with nvme boot drives. Well happy, 6c12t from 65w and easily handle everything I need. Both systems were great prices, just over £110 for the cpu's and £60 for motherboards and for those prices they are great bang for buck

Just to add both are stock and water cooled because they are in my "work" puter and my music puter so need to run quietly and without fuss
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

Went from an i5-3570k to a 3700x last year, its awesome in every way.

My machine is used for photo/video editing first and gaming second and it has bee a firm investment actually speeding up work flow with things like not needing proxy files for video any more and rendering/outputting is so much faster so don't need to do overnight encodes any more.

Potentially the biggest upgrade power jump I have ever had, this is partly down to delays in upgrading due to ram prices (wanting 64gb, originally wanted a 1800x)to which is seems ram prices dropped as the 3700x came out and the rest is history.

Also feel good getting a X570 board knowing there is a CPU upgrade path and will be for sometime and this board shouldn't hobble a couple of generations at least.

Intel will have to do something amazing to get me back.

Thanks
    • OldManInABoat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3000Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 1660Ti
      • PSU:
      • 550W Gold Semi-Mod
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet 500DX
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG

Love my R3600. Plenty of space performance in pretty much everything, its great. Recommending to friends and work colleagues, though i wish there were more business desktops (pre-builds, not self builds) with a 3rd gen ryzen in.

Thanks
    • rabidmunkee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2060 OC
      • PSU:
      • EVGA
      • Operating System:
      • Win & debian
      • Internet:
      • fast-ish

Bought the misses a 3200g a few months back, she seems happy

Thanks

Upgrading to higher version with overclocking is just like adding extra processing without knowing it's actual potential.

Thanks

Didn't need to as my Phenom11 X 4 965 is still killing everything I do with a PC but I fancied a new toy. lol. I waited out 1st gen expecting teething troubles and when 2nd gen arrived and memory prices became acceptable I thought , sod it , why not? I inndulged a little just for fun but yes , more than happy , smooth and snappy. Everything is great except the dreaded Win10 , I initially put Win7 on this without probs except the onboard Bluetooth will not work without Win10. This I
    don't care about as not needed but my printer keeps going offline and back on every few seconds and at one point setting up resolutions it denied me access stating password was wrong ( It wasn't ) Did a third party password removal and bloody thing accepted original password half hour later ???
    Win7 is going back on as I'm not
    happy with text sharpness on display ( 37" Samsung HD TV ). At present with Win10 and RX570 text seems not as fine as I get with the older Phenom machine with a Radeon 6670 on the same screen. I might try swopping out the RX570 on Win10 to the 6670 (If i can drivers for it) in case the card is the problem although theres plenty of text probs on Goole with Win10 so I've read. BTW transferred printer to the Phenom PC ( Still Win7 ) and no probs. End of the day, Ryzen = A+ from me.

Specs.
    Ryzen5 2600 ( mild tweak. 4Ghz @ 1.35v. Idles @ 28 degrees )
    MSI Pro Carbon B450 ATX
    16 GB Gskill TridentZ RGB Running @ 3200 ( no tweaking )
    Sapphire RX570 Nitro 8GB
    Arctic Cooling Esports Duo ( Removed 2nd fan and placed it as rear case fan ). Briiliant cooler , clears memory slots too.
    Samsung Evoplus NVME 250GB
    Samsung 860 Evo 500GB
    Gamemax Sapphire T/ Glass case
    EVGA 750w Modular PSU

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mers View Post
    Didn't need to as my Phenom11 X 4 965 is still killing everything I do with a PC but I fancied a new toy. lol. I waited out 1st gen expecting teething troubles and when 2nd gen arrived and memory prices became acceptable I thought , sod it , why not? I inndulged a little just for fun but yes , more than happy , smooth and snappy. Everything is great except the dreaded Win10 , I initially put Win7 on this without probs except the onboard Bluetooth will not work without Win10. This I
    don't care about as not needed but my printer keeps going offline and back on every few seconds and at one point setting up resolutions it denied me access stating password was wrong ( It wasn't ) Did a third party password removal and bloody thing accepted original password half hour later ???
    Win7 is going back on as I'm not
    happy with text sharpness on display ( 37" Samsung HD TV ). At present with Win10 and RX570 text seems not as fine as I get with the older Phenom machine with a Radeon 6670 on the same screen. I might try swopping out the RX570 on Win10 to the 6670 (If i can drivers for it) in case the card is the problem although theres plenty of text probs on Goole with Win10 so I've read. BTW transferred printer to the Phenom PC ( Still Win7 ) and no probs. End of the day, Ryzen = A+ from me.

Specs.
    Ryzen5 2600 ( mild tweak. 4Ghz @ 1.35v. Idles @ 28 degrees )
    MSI Pro Carbon B450 ATX
    16 GB Gskill TridentZ RGB Running @ 3200 ( no tweaking )
    Sapphire RX570 Nitro 8GB
    Arctic Cooling Esports Duo ( Removed 2nd fan and placed it as rear case fan ). Briiliant cooler , clears memory slots too.
    Samsung Evoplus NVME 250GB
    Samsung 860 Evo 500GB
    Gamemax Sapphire T/ Glass case
    EVGA 750w Modular PSU

Bad news buddy - Win 7 not supported on this setup, for example your nvme ssd will be rubbish on Win 7
    I also experienced random lockups and other issues when I was dual booting when first transitioning across

Also for the text issues, a tv will never be as sharp as a monitor for starters but check out display scaling un settings. That is usually the culprit
    Last edited by 3dcandy; 02-02-2020 at 01:45 PM.
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

I had a Ryzen 1700x paired with Vega VII. Rock solid. Then upgraded to Ryzen 9 3900x with a Sapphire Radeon 5700 XT Nitro+ (Replacement for Vega VII). Nothing but problems.
    Like the previous poster, i put it down to the Radeon 5700XT. the AMD drivers are disgusting right now for the RDNA architecture.
    Hard crashes, failed to find D3D hardware errors, soft crashes to desktop. It's in a bad place.
    The drivers are about as stable as quick sand right now. Never seen it so bad and i've owned mant AMD / ATI graphics cards to make this judgement.

Thanks

H'mmm my temps a ryzen hope I'm gonna be OK.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information