Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: QOTW: How are you getting on with your AMD Ryzen processor?

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: QOTW: How are you getting on with your AMD Ryzen processor?

Quote Originally Posted by persimmon View Post
    People seem to be skimming over the early ryzen memory issues , v bad. ALso many seem to think that the upgrade path for the am4 socket is long.. nope, one more gen and then new socket. If you're already on a 8c/16t part there's not much value to be had going 10c/20t with a small frequncy increase. Amd's low power CPU's are MIA 35w (or lower). I dont own any amd cpu, ATM , .
    Parade Rainer.
    That's one more upgrade option than I got with my s1156 Intel system, and others since then. And that had been an Intel decision. People have repeatedly shown that it was possible for all the 115x variants to use the same sockets if Intel had wanted to. So I'm happy with one more refresh.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by persimmon View Post
    People seem to be skimming over the early ryzen memory issues , v bad. ALso many seem to think that the upgrade path for the am4 socket is long.. nope, one more gen and then new socket. If you're already on a 8c/16t part there's not much value to be had going 10c/20t with a small frequncy increase. Amd's low power CPU's are MIA 35w (or lower). I dont own any amd cpu, ATM , .
    Parade Rainer.
    AM4 will have lasted 4 years by then - I think that's pretty much a decent run. Memory issues, yes but pretty quickly sorted and now the platform is pretty mature to be fair. I don't get your comparison with 10c 20t processors. Win 10 now has very few issues with extra cores so if the frequency is similar you WILL see the difference. The issue is more to do with what you use your system for - games probably won't see any great improvement but a great deal of other software will. I still have a greater performance increase from changing to a decent nvme ssd for boot and swap file useage than a quicker cpu and with gen4 ssd's available now I reckon that's a bigger game changer for many coming from slightly older systems.
    Last edited by 3dcandy; 09-02-2020 at 02:13 PM. Reason: typo
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    AM4 will have lasted 4 years by then - I think that's pretty much a decent run.
    If that turns out to be the lifespan of DDR4 on one socket, then I would say very well done AMD.

This is supposed to be the year that DDR5 kicks in, and more bandwidth is handy to feed all those cores.

Thanks

Upgraded fron an i7 4790K to a Ryzen 1700X OC'd to 4Ghz - The day it got released. Rock solid once paired with right memory. No issues at all
    Upgraded from 1700X to 3900X - Pulling my hair out with instability issues - Not CPU fault.

The 5700XT is the root of all issues.
    Black screen of deaths. Cold boot issues. Games not loading. Games crashing with D3D errors. Cant play games whilst Chrome, Discord or anything else that uses GPU acceleration is on in parallel (Even when hardware acceleration is disabled, lottery for it working). Mostly affects games that uses Unreal engine like Mechwarriors 5 Mercenaries & Borderlands 3.

I have got to the point where if i want to play a certain game, i have to select a certain driver which gives me least issues with that game resulting in compromises like:
    Install driver version X for game Y but HDMI audio will randomly cut out
    Install driver version A for game B but disable all advanced features in graphics driver settings resulting in crashes to desktop (Instead of hard crashes requiring PC reset)

In between each driver install i HAVE to run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) or else it doesn't work.
    The 5700XT was a warranty replacement for my Vega VII which was solid until the displayport went funky.

So in summary:
    AMD Processors = Awesome
    AMD Graphics = Never seen it so bad ever

Thanks

Hi... this is allegedly the pricing for the R7 SKUs which are going to be released first, if it's accurate, it's going to really kick Intel in the nuts because the 1700x looks to really be able to beat the current i7 Kaby Lake parts when it comes to multi-threaded programs. Remember, for a quad core Intel chip at $340-350, you can double the cores and threads for $40-50 more. While these cores might be a bit slower than the Intel cores, overall, the 8c/16t 1700x should handily smack the quad core i7 around.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CesarHinde View Post
    Hi... this is allegedly the pricing for the R7 SKUs which are going to be released first, if it's accurate, it's going to really kick Intel in the nuts because the 1700x looks to really be able to beat the current i7 Kaby Lake parts when it comes to multi-threaded programs. Remember, for a quad core Intel chip at $340-350, you can double the cores and threads for $40-50 more. While these cores might be a bit slower than the Intel cores, overall, the 8c/16t 1700x should handily smack the quad core i7 around.
    Welcome back to 2018!
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

I do believe that there might just be an auto-bot generated post given it's bizarre timeline etc. Duly reported. Man I wish I was a mod sometimes.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread Information