Thread: Microsoft Surface Duo foldable 'Peek' feature videos leak

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Microsoft Surface Duo foldable 'Peek' feature videos leak

Shows off Microsoft's peek-style UI for notifications, and seeing who is calling.
    Read more.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Re: Microsoft Surface Duo foldable 'Peek' feature videos leak

I really like the surface duo but I have a couple of issues. It seems just slightly too big for a phone - I think it needs to be a little narrower. The other issue is that, due to the width, you're going to use the keyboard as shown in a kind of laptop manner. Without being able to locate your fingers or thumbs by feel, you're going to struggle to do any real typing. The issue then becomes one of giving up some portability of a phone and not gaining enough in usability.

These devices would be awesome if the screen could add / remove a tactile interface on its surface, such as a couple of notches on F and J as well as raised outlines to keys. Then remove them for normal use and viewing. At the moment, I can't see me getting on with this kind of interface. I clung onto physical keyboard devices for as long as I could.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • thewelshbrummie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87Deluxe/Dual
      • CPU:
      • i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2.5TB in SSDs, 24TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200 V3
      • Operating System:
      • Win8.1/10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410
      • Internet:
      • terrible BT fibre

Re: Microsoft Surface Duo foldable 'Peek' feature videos leak

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    These devices would be awesome if the screen could add / remove a tactile interface on its surface, such as a couple of notches on F and J as well as raised outlines to keys. Then remove them for normal use and viewing. At the moment, I can't see me getting on with this kind of interface. I clung onto physical keyboard devices for as long as I could.
    This beats the point of a dual screen device if you're adding raised notches for a keyboard. To me, it's designed so that either screen could be the keyboard based on preference - raised notches on both screens would be annoying and one would (un)intentionally push the user towards using one screen as a keyboard. Clearly you're someone who would love a phone with a physical keyboard - either the market decided they weren't selling enough, or OEMs decided it was cheaper to not make them (while increasing prices to improve margins). Not saying there isn't space for such a device, but the Surface Duo isn't trying to be that.

What you're advocating for is not what the Surface Duo is trying to do. I see it as a similar proposition to using a PC with 2 monitors - I'm thinking of writing papers with one screen devoted to a browser, the other for a word processor. Whether that scales or has a suitable use-case for mobile is the question. That said, I certainly prefer the idea of 2x screens over a foldable.

Thread Information