Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 still OS choice of more than a quarter of Windows users

Thanks

Re: Windows 7 still OS choice of more than a quarter of Windows users

AmigaOS still my favourite...
    Got a Pi 3B here and retropie and it can be booted in Amiberry. Excellent fun all around
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Registered+
    Thanks

stupid. I have a mac, and windows 10 pro workstation on a very old dell machine that originally came with win 7 pro, ill never switch back. Win 10 is fantastic, the best os Microsoft has produced.

Thanks

The main reason Win 10 had a big uptake and surge in the first place is that you couldn't buy a new preloaded PC without Win10 loaded. Many like Win10 and many don't and personally I prefer Win7 Pro for control of what is my PC , not forced by Microsoft to do what they want with it. I'm fortunate to own a few PC's and have the choice and after loading " OpenShell" and a lot of tinkering Win 10 and my new Ryzen system seems to be acceptable for my everyday use. My main bugbear is my screen ( a 37" Samsung 1080p TV screen where nomatter what is not as clear and sharp as it is on my aging Phenom Win7 system with a Radeon 6770 ). New Ryzen system has an RX 570 and the problem is Win 10 , M.S. know about this issue and released a semi-fix called " Windows 10 DPI Dot Fix " which improves it a bit but still not as defined as Win 7. Problem is caused by cross platform compatability apparently and to get my screen the best I can have had to set size at 225% , 2560 x1440 and scaling on the RX570 at 4%. Other issue I've had is my Cannon inkjet printer doe's not function properly under Win 10 yet my ancient HP lazerjet works fine. Peek and poke folks. lol.

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Personally I've been running 10 since the day it came out, same with 8.1, 8.0, 7 and Vista. Before that I didn't have MSDN access so had to wait until I could afford a license but I'd still upgrade ASAP. Never had a big issue...

At work its the other way round. Had to 'borrow' a contractors PC when they left so I could get Win 10 (so I could look into per monitor DPI support)! It crazy when you work in the IT industry and still can't upgrade. Most of my colleagues are still on Win7 even though we officially no longer support it! I suspect a lot of these Win7 machines are similar business machines where IT won't upgrade although I'm sure there are a few die hards sticking with 7.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks
    • IAmATeaf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600@3.25
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2GB Corsair 6400C5DHX XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 0.5TB 7200.12, 2 x 1.5TB 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX460 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC6089B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T240 24"
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL Max

I’ve been personally using Windows 10 since it came out, to be honest I only did it at the time due to the free to upgrade within the first year, thought what the hell and if I don’t like it can always go back to W7 but never did.

I also, unfortunately, work in IT and many large corporates have either upgraded or have plans in place to upgrade to W10. With the bi-annual updates, most corporates don’t like it as it’s akin to painting the Fourth Road Bridge, you start over when you’ve finished but I think they’ve now accepted that it might be simpler to try and keep up rather then try to update a few versions later on.

Thanks

I like Windows 10, it'd be nice if it synced my "Start" and if the store could be disabled so it didn't install crap, or at least so it appears in the Control Panels Add/Remove Programs so you could get rid of them easier, other than that, I'm happy with Win10.

Thanks

If MS think those not upgrading are about Covid19, or Intel, I'd say they have a few dozen squadrons of bats in their collective belfry.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I suspect the people who are left wouldn't swap to Windows 10 if MS paid *them* £80 to swap. Even if it isn't official or advertised you can still do the free upgrade, but it isn't about cost at this point.

For me, I historically found it isn't worth the aggro of trying to get drivers etc working on out of date Windows versions.
    MS would have to pay me a poopload more that £80. If they care to buy me a state of the art new gaming PC, ....... okay, I'll run W10 on it. Notbing else, mind, except games. My actual day to day stuff is stayingcright where it is.

In my case, it wasn't worth the hassly of getting old software and hardware working on a new OS. Of course, that was far from the only reason.

For me, the issues were several-fold. Firstly, and importantly, W10 didn't (and still doesn't) have anything I need and don't already have. Secondly, most of my objections were about MS and their roadmap than W10 itself .... like forced updates. As tne saying goes "up with that I will not put."
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    If MS think those not upgrading are about Covid19, or Intel, I'd say they have a few dozen squadrons of bats in their collective belfry. MS would have to pay me a poopload more that £80. If they care to buy me a state of the art new gaming PC, ....... okay, I'll run W10 on it. Notbing else, mind, except games. My actual day to day stuff is stayingcright where it is.

In my case, it wasn't worth the hassly of getting old software and hardware working on a new OS. Of course, that was far from the only reason.

For me, the issues were several-fold. Firstly, and importantly, W10 didn't (and still doesn't) have anything I need and don't already have. Secondly, most of my objections were about MS and their roadmap than W10 itself .... like forced updates. As tne saying goes "up with that I will not put."
    Gotta say the new hardware that I have not working properly with Win 7 kinda forced me but it's still a decent upgrade. Things are changing and not even Microsoft can help that. All pc's here are now Win 10 x64 except one which some old music hardware forces Win x86

If you think this is bad don't even think about the Mac with the latest round of breakdates I mean updates which broke pretty much everything that people I know were using... music software and plugins mainly

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Gotta say the new hardware that I have not working properly with Win 7 kinda forced me but it's still a decent upgrade. Things are changing and not even Microsoft can help that. All pc's here are now Win 10 x64 except one which some old music hardware forces Win x86

If you think this is bad don't even think about the Mac with the latest round of breakdates I mean updates which broke pretty much everything that people I know were using... music software and plugins mainly
    I have win7 working on x570 (almost) too by just using official drivers from AMD and MSi. I have an extra set of custom drivers from a guy in Asia somewhere that will get the USB3.1 and wifi working which should solve the remaining issues but I will be doing some serious checking of them to make sure they're not doing anything else behind the scenes before using them in the wild. What's not working for you?

Thanks

IF netmarketshare (Microsoft owned, LOL) would report ENT Lics, these scores would probably be 65/35 for win7/win10. The exact reverse they claim, which is why they do not report enterprise lics. They are win7 mostly. Unfortunately BillG and company just can't explain to enterprise why 10 is better than 7. Pretty, glitzy etc means nothing to them. Change causes the whole workforce to need re-training. They wanted win7+, or win7R2 or something. Not win8, win8.1, win8.1+lipstick (win10...LOL), win8+lipstick+cakemakeup (all other win10 versions).

Give us Windows 7 or XP with win10 features. So nobody has to re-learn stuff that simply slows them down all day. Win10 sucks. Pretty, works on multiple device types, but SUCKS as a WINDOWS OS for desktops. It is built for idiots (probably why I can't seem to function in it), and make tech workers day a nightmare. You can't even get mad when people keep calling asking where's this, or that, how to I do this dumb action I used to do in seconds, that now takes minutes to figure out, etc etc. Where have they buried X options? It never ends, and people seem to just feel no need to learn it, but rather just ring the phone for the next 5yrs.

Someone dig a grave and throw win10 in it (all versions). Make me FASTER and more EFFICIENT at work, or PISS OFF. Stop making new OS versions of 10, and FIX ONE keep it for 3-5yrs instead of this 18mo crap. It is not working. YOu fail over and over with each release. Operating systems for desktops are not made to be launched yearly. It is a 3yrs cycle at worst, and should probably be much longer with SP's. We used to get SP3, now 18mo new OS again. UGH. No point in buying an OS every 18mo. That is retarded for business (or home IMHO).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    I have win7 working on x570 (almost) too by just using official drivers from AMD and MSi. I have an extra set of custom drivers from a guy in Asia somewhere that will get the USB3.1 and wifi working which should solve the remaining issues but I will be doing some serious checking of them to make sure they're not doing anything else behind the scenes before using them in the wild. What's not working for you?
    USB3.1 and crashes the nvme driver. Also the sound is awful under Win 7 with driver errors and it keeps failing. It's an Asus board b450 and it's just not pleasant under Win 7 at all. Much easier to use and faster under Win 10

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post
    IF netmarketshare (Microsoft owned, LOL) would report ENT Lics, these scores would probably be 65/35 for win7/win10. The exact reverse they claim, which is why they do not report enterprise lics. They are win7 mostly. Unfortunately BillG and company just can't explain to enterprise why 10 is better than 7. Pretty, glitzy etc means nothing to them. Change causes the whole workforce to need re-training. They wanted win7+, or win7R2 or something. Not win8, win8.1, win8.1+lipstick (win10...LOL), win8+lipstick+cakemakeup (all other win10 versions).

Give us Windows 7 or XP with win10 features. So nobody has to re-learn stuff that simply slows them down all day. Win10 sucks. Pretty, works on multiple device types, but SUCKS as a WINDOWS OS for desktops. It is built for idiots (probably why I can't seem to function in it), and make tech workers day a nightmare. You can't even get mad when people keep calling asking where's this, or that, how to I do this dumb action I used to do in seconds, that now takes minutes to figure out, etc etc. Where have they buried X options? It never ends, and people seem to just feel no need to learn it, but rather just ring the phone for the next 5yrs.

Someone dig a grave and throw win10 in it (all versions). Make me FASTER and more EFFICIENT at work, or PISS OFF. Stop making new OS versions of 10, and FIX ONE keep it for 3-5yrs instead of this 18mo crap. It is not working. YOu fail over and over with each release. Operating systems for desktops are not made to be launched yearly. It is a 3yrs cycle at worst, and should probably be much longer with SP's. We used to get SP3, now 18mo new OS again. UGH. No point in buying an OS every 18mo. That is retarded for business (or home IMHO).
    Wouldn't go back, now I know where everything is it's much faster than Win 7. There's a nice search bar for idiots like

Thanks

IF netmarketshare (Microsoft owned, LOL)....
    Really? I know Microsoft are one of its clients but owned by them, not so sure on that.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Change causes the whole workforce to need re-training.
    IME most people are now on Windows 10 at home, so having to use 7 at work they find jarring and complain. Or they would complain, except I haven't seen a Windows 7 machine in a company for over a year.

Thanks
    • IAmATeaf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600@3.25
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2GB Corsair 6400C5DHX XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 0.5TB 7200.12, 2 x 1.5TB 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX460 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC6089B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T240 24"
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL Max

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of an organisation re-training end users to use Windows 10, that is an absurd statement. Techies may well be sent in a quick refresher course if they really are dumb but most pick it up as they go along.

Most end users only want their most used apps to work so provided they can locate their everyday shortcuts and click on them that’s the real level of interaction with the actual OS.

I worked on a major customer account where 30,000+ users were migrated to Windows 10 and not one user was sent on any type of course.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

My org has just migrated all 5000 users from Win7 to Win10, no end users needed any kind of training. Sure the start menu and shortcuts look a bit different but they're still recognising a start menu and shortcuts.

I'm sure the techies have had training on the differences at the back end but for the user base it's very straightforward. Most of your complaints are around things like settings, which most corporate users are blocked from accessing anyway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information