Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 27

Thread: GPD Win Max 8-inch gaming laptop full official specs revealed

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    29,742
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,935 times in 677 posts

    GPD Win Max 8-inch gaming laptop full official specs revealed

    Clamshell Windows machine includes an Intel i5-1035G7 with Iris Plus Graphics (64EUs).
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London town
    Posts
    311
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    19 times in 14 posts

    Re: GPD Win Max 8-inch gaming laptop full official specs revealed

    Adding the RJ45 a very clever move to appeal to the data rack crowd

  3. #3
    Moosekateer CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    29,309
    Thanks
    3,292
    Thanked
    4,596 times in 3,545 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: GPD Win Max 8-inch gaming laptop full official specs revealed

    This was going to be AMD Ryzen powered originally:
    https://liliputing.com/2019/04/gpd-w...gaming-pc.html


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,644
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked
    215 times in 156 posts

    Re: GPD Win Max 8-inch gaming laptop full official specs revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    This was going to be AMD Ryzen powered originally:
    https://liliputing.com/2019/04/gpd-w...gaming-pc.html
    They must have changed because the 10th gen looked so good then AMD announced 4th gen with those metrics dtating 50-70% better. Wonder if there are any kicking themselves or what the solid reason was?

  5. #5
    Moosekateer CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    29,309
    Thanks
    3,292
    Thanked
    4,596 times in 3,545 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: GPD Win Max 8-inch gaming laptop full official specs revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    They must have changed because the 10th gen looked so good then AMD announced 4th gen with those metrics dtating 50-70% better. Wonder if there are any kicking themselves or what the solid reason was?
    Ryzen APUs are an SOC,so it seems more of an ideal fit for a small device IMHO. Also I wonder how GPU performance compares for the Intel CPU with the Ryzen embedded Zen CPUs. I hope it is better.


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  6. #6
    Hardcore Tory, Lost Cause Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,977
    Thanks
    304
    Thanked
    648 times in 543 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • i7 5960X o/c to 4.summat
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe wiv perspex window
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB270HU 1440 IPS GSync
      • Internet:
      • BT 0.7Mbps 'In The Sticks' version

    Re: GPD Win Max 8-inch gaming laptop full official specs revealed

    Always good to see more devices like this. I adore dinky computers!!
    One day, when they are within my price bracket, I'll get one.
    _______________________________________________________________________
    I dare anything... I am Skeletor!!!!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    398
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked
    31 times in 29 posts
    • PC-LAD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X370 GT7
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600 @ 4.3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4*4 GB TG Delta @2933
      • Storage:
      • 128gb Sandisk SSD plus, 1tb SeaGate Barracuda, 640GB WD Black, 500gb WD Blue sata ssd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Evga G+650w
      • Case:
      • MasterBox 5 Lite TemG
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • MSI Optix G24C
      • Internet:
      • 10 up 35 down :(

    Re: GPD Win Max 8-inch gaming laptop full official specs revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Always good to see more devices like this. I adore dinky computers!!
    One day, when they are within my price bracket, I'll get one.
    One day they will be in electrolytic solutions made of nano bots that you put in your eye. Sit and look at a clock, time's gonna fly by in no time at all.
    人无完人,金无足赤

  8. #8
    Hardcore Tory, Lost Cause Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,977
    Thanks
    304
    Thanked
    648 times in 543 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • i7 5960X o/c to 4.summat
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe wiv perspex window
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB270HU 1440 IPS GSync
      • Internet:
      • BT 0.7Mbps 'In The Sticks' version

    Re: GPD Win Max 8-inch gaming laptop full official specs revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by PC-LAD View Post
    One day they will be in electrolytic solutions made of nano bots that you put in your eye. Sit and look at a clock, time's gonna fly by in no time at all.
    My eyes don't have tactile keys, though and I cannot stick them on the sideboard to run in the background while I do other stuff...
    _______________________________________________________________________
    I dare anything... I am Skeletor!!!!

  9. #9
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,728
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked
    300 times in 212 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: GPD Win Max 8-inch gaming laptop full official specs revealed

    I loved the Psion and Jornada 720 mini PC deeliemabobs. But they were a niche market. I do like my smartphone but I really do hate not having a decent slide out keyboard.

    I'm torn between having a glasshole type device which is small and I can use to watch youtube when I'm washing up and a little PC. But a Bluetooth keyboard turns my phone or tablet into such and a man can only watch so much midget pr0....

    I mean... screens need to be bigger. Hence glasshole.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,644
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked
    215 times in 156 posts

    Re: GPD Win Max 8-inch gaming laptop full official specs revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Ryzen APUs are an SOC,so it seems more of an ideal fit for a small device IMHO. Also I wonder how GPU performance compares for the Intel CPU with the Ryzen embedded Zen CPUs. I hope it is better.
    Reading a thread on the Prya forums it seems more like AMD is shock awful at supporting developers for their SOCs which is a terrible shame. This would have been a really nice advertising win for AMD but they faltered at the first hurdle.

    Basically from here onwards: https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/thr....83620/page-10

  11. #11
    HEXUS.Squirrel Output's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    745
    Thanked
    314 times in 234 posts
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Platinum @ 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte RX Vega 56 Gaming OC 8GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell P2214H

    Re: GPD Win Max 8-inch gaming laptop full official specs revealed

    Small screen sizes on laptops are apparently popular based on the amount that exist, but this pushes that to a new level. It does sound handy for the datacenter crowd as suggested above, if you ignore the gaming aspect of it (perhaps that part could be taken out in a future variation to properly appeal to it too).

    What I'd like to see though is larger screened laptops. It seems the biggest you'll find is 17", but I think it would be intersting to see availability of larger ones including 24".
    Last edited by Output; 10-03-2020 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Misplaced punctuation.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    6,583
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    246 times in 208 posts

    Re: GPD Win Max 8-inch gaming laptop full official specs revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by Output View Post
    What I'd like to see though is larger screened laptops. It seems the biggest you'll find is 17", but I think it would be intersting to see availability of larger ones including 24".
    Alienware does (or did - I am not up very up to date?) 18.4" laptops.

    Laptops up to 20" were made (e.g. http://www.notebookreview.com/notebo...tebook-review/) but I guess they didn't really do well enough in the market.

    I seem to remember some All-in-one PC (not really laptop) at 24", and battery powered all-in-one battery 27" tablets.

    My guess is that in general, laptop above 17-18" are considered niche monstrosities that aren't sufficiently portable and at that point it might be better to just look into some space saving desktops.

    (Personally, I still prefer 15.6" if it is something I need to periodically carry with me through airports but still need to be good enough as desktop replacement)

  13. #13
    Hardcore Tory, Lost Cause Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,977
    Thanks
    304
    Thanked
    648 times in 543 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • i7 5960X o/c to 4.summat
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe wiv perspex window
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB270HU 1440 IPS GSync
      • Internet:
      • BT 0.7Mbps 'In The Sticks' version

    Re: GPD Win Max 8-inch gaming laptop full official specs revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by Output View Post
    Small screen sizes on laptops are apparently popular based on the amount that exist, but this pushes that to a new level.
    People already do stuff on smartphones, including watching Netflix and YouTube and the like, so yeah.
    Tablets are just a touch too big for many, so this size of device is a good compromise and with the added bonus of having (pretty much) a proper PC behind it. I understand gaming on the GPDs has been pretty good too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Output View Post
    What I'd like to see though is larger screened laptops. It seems the biggest you'll find is 17", but I think it would be intersting to see availability of larger ones including 24".
    How about 21"?


    _______________________________________________________________________
    I dare anything... I am Skeletor!!!!

  14. #14
    HEXUS.Squirrel Output's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    745
    Thanked
    314 times in 234 posts
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Platinum @ 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte RX Vega 56 Gaming OC 8GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell P2214H

    Re: GPD Win Max 8-inch gaming laptop full official specs revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    Alienware does (or did - I am not up very up to date?) 18.4" laptops.

    Laptops up to 20" were made (e.g. http://www.notebookreview.com/notebo...tebook-review/) but I guess they didn't really do well enough in the market.

    I seem to remember some All-in-one PC (not really laptop) at 24", and battery powered all-in-one battery 27" tablets.

    My guess is that in general, laptop above 17-18" are considered niche monstrosities that aren't sufficiently portable and at that point it might be better to just look into some space saving desktops.

    (Personally, I still prefer 15.6" if it is something I need to periodically carry with me through airports but still need to be good enough as desktop replacement)
    I think I was aware of one or two 18.4" laptops, but all I remembered about them was that they were a number of years ago and nothing more was really heard since.

    Alienware instantly means a price-premium anyway of course. And although All-In-One PCs did cross my mind, but I just thought the form factor of a laptop would still be preferablefor and seem more portable for more than just potentially myself.

    I guess part of it was me just wondering why there was no mainstream push for laptops with larger screens as I thought it could be appreciated by the gaming crowd even more so for ease of portability to lan parties and events with BYOPC tiers, although for best performance I guess anyone who is really serious about it is going to carefully pack up their (more cost-efficient and upgradeable) desktop and its accessories for the best performance anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    People already do stuff on smartphones, including watching Netflix and YouTube and the like, so yeah.
    Tablets are just a touch too big for many, so this size of device is a good compromise and with the added bonus of having (pretty much) a proper PC behind it. I understand gaming on the GPDs has been pretty good too.


    How about 21"?


    True, I guess I just personally never saw the appeal of the laptop form factor being as small as 13" (the short-lived nettops seemed bad enough as it was), and 14" was in a similar position to me too. My personal definition of a laptop is of one with at least a 15.6" screen, so I thought that there would surely be a lot more people who think similarly to myself.

    As for the 21" laptop, as soon as I heard the video say "it retails for 9000 bucks", it was an instant click off. That's just taking the gaming classification premium to an extremely exorbitant level.

    Obviously one of the trade-offs of a laptop is that upgrade options tend to be very limited (and that video being posted in 2018 also likely means that it's out of date by now already, as tech can quickly be anyway), but pricing such as that is only going to appeal to those who can throw away that kind of money and not really even notice it.

    Overall I guess it's a matter of people in the mainstream being happy with what options are available, so anyone who differs from that will have to pay whatever premium is necessary if they really want to do something that differs from the norm, as the niche appeal will necessitate higher costs as a result of much lower demand.


    TL;DR: I would have thought there would be more people like myself who would be interested in laptops with larger screens, but I'm actually more likely to be in the minority and so would probably have to pay a large premium if I really wanted it.

  15. #15
    Hardcore Tory, Lost Cause Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,977
    Thanks
    304
    Thanked
    648 times in 543 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • i7 5960X o/c to 4.summat
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe wiv perspex window
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB270HU 1440 IPS GSync
      • Internet:
      • BT 0.7Mbps 'In The Sticks' version

    Re: GPD Win Max 8-inch gaming laptop full official specs revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by Output View Post
    True, I guess I just personally never saw the appeal of the laptop form factor being as small as 13"
    I'm working on a 15" right now, but I have a fancy model. Most people here have 13". The idea is that you'll mainly have it docked to a proper monitor and (if the company weren't such cheapskates) a proper M&KB too, but can still 'go mobile' and use it to work on the train or in a meeting room or summat.

    Netbooks and palmtops and whatever else, ie 10" and smaller, are all following the UMPC idea but with better processing power and features, really.

    Quote Originally Posted by Output View Post
    My personal definition of a laptop is of one with at least a 15.6" screen, so I thought that there would surely be a lot more people who think similarly to myself.
    Opinions will vary wildly.
    A friend of mine thought the same as you and for several years bought a brand spanky new gaming laptop every single year. They were invariably big, gaudy, Gamerz type devices with big screens and everything, usually Asus or MSI. After a while, he came to realise that there are diminishing returns and there comes a point where it's actually too big to use like that. He so often found himself setting it up on a desk instead.

    Quote Originally Posted by Output View Post
    As for the 21" laptop, as soon as I heard the video say "it retails for 9000 bucks", it was an instant click off. That's just taking the gaming classification premium to an extremely exorbitant level.
    Well it *is* meant to be insane.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Output View Post
    TL;DR: I would have thought there would be more people like myself who would be interested in laptops with larger screens
    I think they've simply come and gone, having found it didn't actually suit them as well as they'd hoped.
    _______________________________________________________________________
    I dare anything... I am Skeletor!!!!

  16. Received thanks from:

    Output (11-03-2020)

  17. #16
    HEXUS.Squirrel Output's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    745
    Thanked
    314 times in 234 posts
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Platinum @ 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte RX Vega 56 Gaming OC 8GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell P2214H

    Re: GPD Win Max 8-inch gaming laptop full official specs revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    I'm working on a 15" right now, but I have a fancy model. Most people here have 13". The idea is that you'll mainly have it docked to a proper monitor and (if the company weren't such cheapskates) a proper M&KB too, but can still 'go mobile' and use it to work on the train or in a meeting room or summat.
    I see your point, I was thinking more of the personal side of things rather than the work side.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Opinions will vary wildly.
    A friend of mine thought the same as you and for several years bought a brand spanky new gaming laptop every single year. They were invariably big, gaudy, Gamerz type devices with big screens and everything, usually Asus or MSI. After a while, he came to realise that there are diminishing returns and there comes a point where it's actually too big to use like that. He so often found himself setting it up on a desk instead.
    Honestly, I would have thought the first realisation that would come quickly would have been to not buy a new one every single year.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Well it *is* meant to be insane.....
    True, but it would have seemed just as insane at half that price.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    I think they've simply come and gone, having found it didn't actually suit them as well as they'd hoped.
    Perhaps, although an additional possibility could also be that people aren't willing to pay the premium to get the closest available option, or even just decided that they'd just "make do" with what the closest reasonably-priced mainstream options are, as there clearly isn't enough demand from consumers or interest from the manufacturers to make what they'd prefer.

    Not that the tech market is unique in that respect of course, as that could likely be applied to many areas. There's no pleasing everyone after all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •