Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BT confirms plans to launch Gigabit broadband across the UK

Thanks

Re: BT confirms plans to launch Gigabit broadband across the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    I guess 30+ years late is better than never.
    What? The web was only invented 30 years ago. I used the internet 5 years before that, but not a lot of people outside of the odd researcher in universities was even aware of it then, let alone needing gigabit fibre to their home.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gagaga View Post
    What? The web was only invented 30 years ago. I used the internet 5 years before that, but not a lot of people outside of the odd researcher in universities was even aware of it then, let alone needing gigabit fibre to their home.
    My email address and domain was bought by myself in erm...1993 or 1994. I must hold some strange record then
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

And we were right up there as one of the countries leading the way, BT had plans and even facilities to manufacture the equipment that would be needed for a full fibre network, the first wide area fibre optic network was set up in Hastings.
    Unfortunately, the Thatcher government decided that it wanted the American cable companies providing the same service to increase competition. So the decision was made to close down the local loop roll out and in 1991 that roll out was stopped. The two factories that BT had built to build fibre related components were sold to Fujitsu and HP, the assets were stripped and the expertise was shipped out to South East Asia.
    Last edited by Corky34; 12-03-2020 at 05:15 PM. Reason: I forgot to add a link to the article.

Thanks
    • persimmon's system
      • CPU:
      • n3455 8600k
      • Memory:
      • 8gb 16gb
      • Storage:
      • 12tb 2.5tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • uhd500 gtx1070
      • PSU:
      • DC 750w thorium

Sticks-livers, (ohh-arr) forget that its uneconomical to reach them with fibre? Why should I, as a city dweller (non-dung-flinger), subsidise YOUR internet connex?. I cant get Fibre in Central London, so am having to go for wireless Broadband instead, supposedly unlimited (1000Gb/pm). Stump up more taxes , you tax dodging clod-hoppers.

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Quote Originally Posted by MaddogPepper View Post
    I’ll believe this when it happens BT are an absolute joke, pack of thieving fly by nights, been squandering tax payers money on incompetence and inefficiency for years they couldnt blow up a balloon without 60 people being involved and cancelling the order four times
    BT OpenReach should be re-nationalised, it's critical national infrastructure and shouldn't be in the hands of shareholders whose only interest is making money, rather than providing a public service.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimborae View Post
    BT OpenReach should be re-nationalised, it's critical national infrastructure and shouldn't be in the hands of shareholders whose only interest is making money, rather than providing a public service.
    Lol should be re-nationalised and private shareholders.. methinks you're a bit confused there sir or being very ironic. I can't quite tell

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Lol should be re-nationalised and private shareholders.. methinks you're a bit confused there sir or being very ironic. I can't quite tell
    Lol you should read the actual reply rather than an email notification! I spotted the mistake and edited right away but obviously the notification got sent before I updated it. Still would have made for a very ironic reply as you say.

Thanks

Lol you should read the actual reply rather than an email notification! I spotted the mistake and edited right away but obviously the notification got sent before I updated it. Still would have made for a very ironic reply as you say.
    Yeah as I did it it changed....

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by persimmon View Post
    Sticks-livers, (ohh-arr) forget that its uneconomical to reach them with fibre? Why should I, as a city dweller (non-dung-flinger), subsidise YOUR internet connex?. I cant get Fibre in Central London, so am having to go for wireless Broadband instead, supposedly unlimited (1000Gb/pm). Stump up more taxes , you tax dodging clod-hoppers.
    I am not a London dweller.
    Why should I have to pay for the massive super-sewers to alleviate YOUR flooding, when I'm on top of a hill 40 miles away and not even connected to the same SDAC as London?
    Why should I have to pay insane fees for my train travel, just to subsidise your Tube fares?

Moreover, you likely cannot get fibre because you live in such a stupidly high population in such a stupidly built-up area... for the same reason you now need a super-sewer. Namely, there have been so many services and utilities laid, one atop the other, atop another, atop yet more, that companies can no longer get through all that cack to service their own assets. There are many locations where we cannot get to ours because someone built a railway over the access point, then laid gas over that, then sewers, then more gas, then electric, then clean water, then telephone lines, then more electric.... Oh, and good luck getting council permission to dig up any roads. Your precious fibre internet will cause traffic jams for weeks!
    That's just the physical practicalities, never mind factoring in how much it'd actually cost to lay fibre, as well....

A lot of London fibre is having to be laid inside the sewers because there is absolutely no accessibility anywhere else!

Thing is, London generates a lot of tax revenue for the government, but companies private generate a lot more in private revenue from those outside London... and you wouldn't be in this situation in the first place if you'd invested outside of London instead of trying to cram it into a seething cesspool just because it's the capital city. This is why places like Reading get lots of investment and big companies headquartered here, instead of London.

If you prefer, we can just keep this food we grow here and you can fend for yourselves...?

Nationalised services are mostly funded from borrowing. Private companies (certainly the likes of ours) get some revenue from customer bills, but the vast majority comes from.... borrowing. Yep, 's true.
    The only difference is in, respectively, public government borrowing vs private borrowing and investment.

Certainly we have become utterly amazeballs with the power of private investment, compared to the utter spit-shower we were when nationalised. Do not be too quick to nationalise something...

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Doesn't sound too exciting imo. Gigabit fibre has been available for years if you live in the right area or are willing to pay for the cables to be put in - BT are "Just another ISP" these days so it's quite amazing the amount of PR they are able to get from launching a new product that so few people will be able to get.

I think a lot of people still associate them too closely with Openreach and therefore assume that this also means BT are going to magically make this available to lots of people - but it will still rely on the Openreach rollout. Sky et al will also be able to sell this service on the same infrastructure (and in fact, Sky have been testing FTTP for a while now)

Given how slowly FTTC went and how G.FAST is taking even longer, I suspect it will be a very , very long time before most of us can order this product....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Why should I have to pay for the massive super-sewers to alleviate YOUR flooding, when I'm on top of a hill 40 miles away and not even connected to the same SDAC as London?
    Errm, it's entirely privately funded (ultimately via London sewerage charges for customers). https://corporate.thameswater.co.uk/...ill-pay-for-it
    Why should I have to pay insane fees for my train travel, just to subsidise your Tube fares?
    The tube is self-funding https://www.timeout.com/london/blog/...-profit-052617
    Moreover, you likely cannot get fibre because you live in such a stupidly high population in such a stupidly built-up area...
    Higher density = cheaper to deploy, especially to appartment blocks (if you've ever been to SE Asia you'll understand why they have so much fibre - 10s of 50 odd story residential towers tightly packed together). That's why Hyperoptic started in London to deploy to new appartment blocks. It's why they are so cheap too.

Thanks

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-first The map on this page shows how far off most people are.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by Jonatron View Post
    https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-first The map on this page shows how far off most people are.
    yup. I'm within the london zones and still nowhere near!

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Errm, it's entirely privately funded (ultimately via London sewerage charges for customers).
    Errmm, to quote that very page you just linked - "Over time, the tunnel will be paid for by all the customers who use Thames Water’s sewerage service"
    Besides, it also doesn't maintain itself, so someone has to look after it... and I don't work for free.

It's far more complicated and interconnected than that page suggests, but there's a lot of subsidising and creative accounting going on that underpins the entire London Underground system.
    I confirmed this with our Train Geek - Our team employs a Civil Engineer who is an absolute Trainiac and really knows his stuff when it comes to the railways... so please don't debate me on this, as I'll have to get the long, detailed version out of the guy and I really don't want to speak to him unless absolutely necessary!!

Higher density = cheaper to deploy, especially to appartment blocks (if you've ever been to SE Asia you'll understand why they have so much fibre - 10s of 50 odd story residential towers tightly packed together). That's why Hyperoptic started in London to deploy to new appartment blocks. It's why they are so cheap too.
    This is the UK, not SE Asia...
    Higher density in places requiring lots of delicate and high-risk excavations = Getting very expensive again.
    Add to that all the TWOSAs and BAPAs and all the other protection orders, with all their unlimited liabilities.
    Add to that the hassle of securing NRSWA notices on top tier traffic sensitive and engineering difficult roads.
    Add to that the cost implications if you actually damage the wrong asset, with the knock-on effect it'd have on all the surrounding ones.
    Oh, and it's London, so in some areas you can expect a metric flip-tonne of Grade x Listed historic buildings and features that are at risk from any roadworks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo69 View Post
    Virgin are a joke though.

Agreed to stay with them a couple month ago.

Obviously a new contract, since them unable to use service in room outside modem / router location.

Launching 500mb and 1gb services comes at a cost to all other users.

Virgin have always been the same.

No worries, they'll likely increase prices e extortionately again, we'll bet to leave for free.
    Sounds like you want have more of a problem of not having enough money for reasonable service than problem with its services. As for wifi covarage - there is a thing called router, go look it up! The modems that come with your connection never have or will be any good as they are FREE. So, again, cba to spend some money but want it all? yeah gl with that, especially with bt

Registered+
    Thanks
    • meuvoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97-G45
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4460
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston 1866Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Adata 128GB SSD + 1,7TB HDD (inTotal)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia Geforce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750B2
      • Case:
      • Cougar 6GR1 Evolution
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 29" 21:9 Philips Brilliance 298P4QJEB

I'm always surprised by how bad UK's regulation on broadband are, I'm from Brazil and really, they just can't get away with things like this. Over here, you pay not for access but for speed, so my ISP as an example; have packages from 30mb all the way up to 3gb speeds, I pay for 300Mb and they need to deliver at least 80% of that all the time, otherwise it's considered that my service was interrupted untill they're able to give me that 80% of 300mbps once again and while I'm in a "service interupted" situation, I don't pay for my internet even if it only happened during night time when I'm sleeping, they need to deduct that from the bill I'll pay. This ended up creating a situation where ISPs here deliver 10% more boradband than you actually pay for, just for the off chance that there's any problem with the connection. And there are problems, my bill is R$144,00 and there were months when I paid less than R$120,00 thanks to interruptions of the service (144 in Brazilian money is about the equivalent of 30 euros or so). Still, it sems ages beyond what happens in the UK, we get consistent speeds most of the time, there's few outages and we don't end up paying more after a given period, it's actually way more likely that they offer us a cheaper package down the line to keep us from moving to another ISP.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information