Thread: Windows 10 now on over a billion active devices

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Windows 10 now on over a billion active devices

It took Microsoft twice as long as it originally estimated to reach this milestone.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Windows 10 now on over a billion active devices

I could spend all day picking apart Yusuf Mehdi's blog post but i guess the people who live in a 'modern' life and love their operating system would tell me how satisfied they are with everything.

Thanks

Google are gonna be rubbing their hands with Android on 2.5 million active devices....
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

4. Received thanks from:

mtyson (17-03-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    I could spend all day picking apart Yusuf Mehdi's blog post but i guess the people who live in a 'modern' life and love their operating system would tell me how satisfied they are with everything.
    To be fair I'm pretty satisfied with Win 10. Nothing is ever perfect and I think a lot of the people who still comment on this website are now approaching middle to late age groups and don't like all of the changes

Thanks

I had to dual boot back into Win 10 yesterday so that I could use the Windows Canon printer driver's deep head cleaning function (the Linux driver only supports the normal head cleaning function). I had already used this previously about a year ago (I rarely use Windows nowadays) but I found that Windows 10's Settings panel denied all knowledge of the printer - yet it was there on previous boots and was still listed in Device Manager. I had to faff around with re-detecting the printer (surprisingly difficult for a device directly connected via a USB port) and installing a duplicate record of it twice, as the second duplicate was needed to get the first duplicate (note - not the original device listing!) to show up.

This is not the only thing nor the first time that Windows 10 has randomly decided to break something. I'm forced to keep it around just for the odd function, yet it is singularly incapable of doing even that without something seemingly breaking each time.

Things were not this broken back in XP days...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    To be fair I'm pretty satisfied with Win 10. Nothing is ever perfect and I think a lot of the people who still comment on this website are now approaching middle to late age groups and don't like all of the changes
    TBH what i said was more a dig at Yusuf Mehdi's blog post than Windows 10 itself, like most Microsoft employees he seems to have drunk far to much of the Kool-Aid, i mean even the name of the department he's the CVP of reeks of self aggrandising doo-doo, 'Modern Life', Search & Devices, seriously, since when has the life we're all living not been modern, and what's with calling hardware 'Devices', yes i know they're devices but they're only calling them that in an attempt to sound trendy.

It's not just him BTW it's most PR stuff that comes out from Microsoft, i mean seriously do they actually believe that people "are choosing and loving Windows 10", since when have people fallen in love with Operating Systems, and people are 'choosing' it because Microsoft haven't given them a choice, if you want, or need, to run Win32 binaries and still receive security patches there's only one OS.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Quote Originally Posted by chinf View Post
    Agree with the rest of your post but the above is very rose tinted. XP was a buggy insecure mess out of the box and it took 2 service packs (the second of which added more new features than any patch before or since, like a usable firewall!) Before it was truly stable. Sure, the final (after a third SP) version of XP was stable, but for all we know the same may still be true of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    if you want, or need, to run Win32 binaries and still receive security patches there's only one OS.
    Actually there are two, but if you dislike 10 chances are you'll hate 8.1.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Agree with the rest of your post but the above is very rose tinted. XP was a buggy insecure mess out of the box and it took 2 service packs (the second of which added more new features than any patch before or since, like a usable firewall!) Before it was truly stable. Sure, the final (after a third SP) version of XP was stable, but for all we know the same may still be true of 10.

Actually there are two, but if you dislike 10 chances are you'll hate 8.1.
    ^^^^ I worked for an independent pc shop at the time and we had to ask if people wanted to play games because the vast majority at release corrupted Win XP and would require a reload. A reload that on lower end pc's of the day would take a few hours to complete at a cost of about £50

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chinf View Post
    I had to dual boot back into Win 10 yesterday so that I could use the Windows Canon printer driver's deep head cleaning function (the Linux driver only supports the normal head cleaning function). I had already used this previously about a year ago (I rarely use Windows nowadays) but I found that Windows 10's Settings panel denied all knowledge of the printer - yet it was there on previous boots and was still listed in Device Manager. I had to faff around with re-detecting the printer (surprisingly difficult for a device directly connected via a USB port) and installing a duplicate record of it twice, as the second duplicate was needed to get the first duplicate (note - not the original device listing!) to show up.

This is not the only thing nor the first time that Windows 10 has randomly decided to break something. I'm forced to keep it around just for the odd function, yet it is singularly incapable of doing even that without something seemingly breaking each time.

Not used for a year.... there have been 2 or more BIG updates in that time. Possibly 3 if you haven't kept it up to date.
    This is something that people do not like. Win 10 if used regularly and kept updated isn't bad. Not perfect but certainly not bad. And with decent hardware it shines. But to say it was not working right when you haven't used it for a year knowing the frequency of updates is a bit rich...

Thread Information