Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony reveals PlayStation 5 hardware specifications

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Sony reveals PlayStation 5 hardware specifications

System Architect Mark Cerny has made some interesting choices for the APU and storage.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: Sony reveals PlayStation 5 hardware specifications

plan to launch later this year into a ruined economy and people impoverished by CV fallout and brexit. Yeah, good luck with that given how much they will need to charge for that spec level!

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    plan to launch later this year into a ruined economy and people impoverished by CV fallout and brexit. Yeah, good luck with that given how much they will need to charge for that spec level!
    Should be cheaper than the XBox no?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Cheaper than higher end PC graphics cards,or just trying to build a PC with similar specs. Just to get a RX5700XT and a Ryzen 7 3700X will set you back nearly £600,and neither are considered high end anymore. The XBox graphics card is probably closer to a RTX2080 or RTX2080 Super,so probably around £500 to £600 just for that alone.

https://www.techpowerup.com/264840/r...virus-outbreak

A report via DigiTimes paints a bleak image on shipments for motherboards and GPUs. According to the publication, citing sources close to motherboard makers, the initial impact of the outbreak severely affected production - and the entire supply chain ecosystem needed to ferry these across the world. Alongside reduced demand in China (reported to be down 50% YoY and unlikely to pick up until July at the earliest) and other countries, the stage is set for a record low in some of our most favored hardware pieces.

Market observers had expected a seasonal increase in demand entering Q3 2020 which may never come to fruition, as DigiTimes also mentions AMD, Intel and NVIDIA as being unlikely to achieve their target sales for this time period. The reduced demand could see prices come down on components and various hardware pieces, should it linger for longer than the fabrication bottlenecks factories are currently facing. Some publications are pointing towards this drop in demand as a reason for NVIDIA to delay their expected GTC announcements, which the company's CEO, Jensen Huang, has already come out saying "Could wait".

Thanks
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

If they sell these consoles dirt cheap, then us PC gamers will be the laughing stock of the gaming world.

CUZ the way i see it, putting together a gaming PC just at the same level as one of these boxes will be at least 2 X of the listed price in Denmark ( 880 GBP )
    So even at that price listed here and those specs it seen a deal almost too good to be true and if it hold to a large degree i will personally feel a bit stupid with all the money i have poured into my computer.
    And putting a top of the line gaming PC together,,,,,,,, well you would be down right stupid, CUZ the price of one of those dwarf the listed price for the new consoles and a similar SPEC gaming PC.
    https://www.proshop.dk/Spillekonsol/Sony-PlayStation-5/2831713?cid=bfd48ff7-1670-4d6e-9217-ccb43b4d4b42

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gentle Viking View Post
    If they sell these consoles dirt cheap, then us PC gamers will be the laughing stock of the gaming world.
    While I doubt it will be dirt cheap I wouldn't be shocked if MS/Sony sell at 'cost' (remember we're basing cost on retail, not component level) and treat it like a loss leader.
    It wouldn't be the first time that either have taken a loss on the console and 'recouped' losses on game sales etc either.

In a lot of area's the actual cost to produce an item is around a quarter of the retail value and the retail cost is made up of things like each company having their own mark up. A gpu for example has nvidia, the manufacturer, the board partner and the store all wanting to make their own bit of profit. In the case of these consoles, MS/Sony are basically skipping out the board partner and store in regards the cost of components.

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Cheaper than higher end PC graphics cards,or just trying to build a PC with similar specs. Just to get a RX5700XT and a Ryzen 7 3700X will set you back nearly £600,and neither are considered high end anymore. The XBox graphics card is probably closer to a RTX2080 or RTX2080 Super,so probably around £500 to £600 just for that alone.

Bearing in mind this is 'next gen gpu' I'd argue the gpu would fall at the current 2060 range in terms of pricing (assuming no 'price gouging' from coronavirus shortages), although obviously taking into account my above comments about retail price versus the price MS/Sony are likely paying.

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

The clocks on that rebadged 5700XT bode well for later navi releases. The audio engine sounds interesting - I wonder what they plan to do with it?

I think the "custom SSD" is just wasted effort - the practical difference will be negligible, if I were in the market for a console I'd rather just see a standard NVME 1TB model

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    The clocks on that rebadged 5700XT bode well for later navi releases. The audio engine sounds interesting - I wonder what they plan to do with it?

I think the "custom SSD" is just wasted effort - the practical difference will be negligible, if I were in the market for a console I'd rather just see a standard NVME 1TB model
    Look at the official presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSmW...WLp96MUlX_X7Z0

This is no ordinary SSD...it's no ordinary NVME...it's even no ordinary gen 4 NVME. Amongst other details, the presentation describes an ability to pull gfx data in real time from the device during gameplay. Think about that! Remember, even current high end consumer gen 4 NVME drives have atrocious low QD performance. Sony have additional silicon to provide unparalleled performance from their gen 4 NVME. If this works then that's a game changer for games designers and gamers. Additional 'custom' silicon includes Geometry and Tempest engines to enable, amongst other uses, fast ray tracing and next gen audio. As a PC enthusiast myself, I can only hope that some of this functionality makes it's way here. What's certain is that we will have to pay a high price for similar desktop performance - the desktop gfx card will almost certainly cost at least the same as a PS5 - that's a sobering thought!!
    Still, in using Zen2 and RDNA2, developers will be able to cross-develop much more easily while maximising programming optimisation.

Thanks
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

Even if they sell the machines at cost to make money on software sales, that's still insanely cheap and in my perspective will make PC gaming a dead herring, cuz it would be really stupid to use 2X more money to buy a PC that " you might be able to do other things with"
    And AMD have lately claimed that they are big on PC gamers, why will they then sell hardware to someone that will use it to pretty much rape PC gamers.
    And if they sell at say 500 USD, that's just out of this world for a 4K enabled gaming experience, something you cant even get near on a PC at the same price point, not even 2X the price.

Remember PC gamers pay for their games too, and someone also make money on those.
    So why should PC gaming be so insanely expensive in comparison, not least when we talk about similar hardware specs.
    It just don't make sense to me at all, and i am beginning to regret all the money i have sunk into this PC, cuz with that amount i could buy myself both a XBOX and PS5 and a big ass TV to play on too.
    So if it go down that way it will be the biggest flip off ever to PC gamers i can think off.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Even if they sell the machines at cost to make money on software sales, that's still insanely cheap and in my perspective will make PC gaming a dead herring, cuz it would be really stupid to use 2X more money to buy a PC that " you might be able to do other things with"
    And AMD have lately claimed that they are big on PC gamers, why will they then sell hardware to someone that will use it to pretty much rape PC gamers.
    And if they sell at say 500 USD, that's just out of this world for a 4K enabled gaming experience, something you cant even get near on a PC at the same price point, not even 2X the price.

Remember PC gamers pay for their games too, and someone also make money on those.
    So why should PC gaming be so insanely expensive in comparison, not least when we talk about similar hardware specs.
    It just don't make sense to me at all, and i am beginning to regret all the money i have sunk into this PC, cuz with that amount i could buy myself both a XBOX and PS5 and a big ass TV to play on too.
    So if it go down that way it will be the biggest flip off ever to PC gamers i can think off.
    This happens every time and is cyclical. For the first 12-18 months a console is cheaper than its equivalent PC, for another 12-18 months they achieve rough price parity and from then out the PC gives more bang for Buck.

The PC makes up for this with endless backwards compatibility, more flexibility and cheaper games. Both have their place.

Dont forget hardware specs don't define a popular console. In the last gen the most powerful was the PS3 with its cell chip but it was difficult to code for efficiently. Instead the most popular was the relatively underpowered Wii, which outsold the PS3 and Xbox 360 combined.

11. Received thanks from:

dannyboy75 (19-03-2020),Pleiades (19-03-2020)

Fetchez la vache!
    Thanks
    • dannyboy75's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF Gaming B550 Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5800X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 500GB, Samsung 840 SSD 500Gb, WD 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 3080 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Falcon GameMax
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG27AQ G-Sync 165 Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200/20 FTTP

CUZ the way i see it, putting together a gaming PC just at the same level as one of these boxes will be at least 2 X of the listed price in Denmark ( 880 GBP )
    So even at that price listed here and those specs it seen a deal almost too good to be true and if it hold to a large degree i will personally feel a bit stupid with all the money i have poured into my computer.
    And putting a top of the line gaming PC together,,,,,,,, well you would be down right stupid, CUZ the price of one of those dwarf the listed price for the new consoles and a similar SPEC gaming PC.
    https://www.proshop.dk/Spillekonsol/...7-ccb43b4d4b42
    Even if they do turn out to be half the price of a comparable PC, there's still only one gaming platform for me. I'm PC till I die

Thanks

"The audio engine sounds interesting" - There's only so much two small little speakers can do. Look at sound bars... they state this, that, but still sound weak when compared to an actual 5.1/7.1 system. It's marketing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe91 View Post
    Amongst other details, the presentation describes an ability to pull gfx data in real time from the device during gameplay.
    To be fair that inter communication isn't exactly 'new'.... cuda and opencl both pull data in real time (or similar speeds depending on task with current hardware). The likelihood is that PS5 will be implementing some sort of opencl support, which AMD is pretty heavily invested in but until release it's all just speculation on real world performance and to be honest I can't exactly say I've seen any need for a special directly linked ssd/gpu combinations in pc gaming so....

If that was the case we'd be seeing it already, when the latest gen gaming consoles came out they were in the same situation as being 'more powerful' than desktops at the same price..... and remember consoles also have additional monthly fees for things like online multiplayer, most pc games don't.

There's also the thing where MS (and sony thave said that xbox games will be coming to pc too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe91 View Post
    Look at the official presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSmW...WLp96MUlX_X7Z0

This is no ordinary SSD...it's no ordinary NVME...it's even no ordinary gen 4 NVME. Amongst other details, the presentation describes an ability to pull gfx data in real time from the device during gameplay. Think about that!
    It means a second/larger replacement drive is going to cost a bloody fortune.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    While I doubt it will be dirt cheap I wouldn't be shocked if MS/Sony sell at 'cost' (remember we're basing cost on retail, not component level) and treat it like a loss leader.
    It wouldn't be the first time that either have taken a loss on the console and 'recouped' losses on game sales etc either.

In a lot of area's the actual cost to produce an item is around a quarter of the retail value and the retail cost is made up of things like each company having their own mark up. A gpu for example has nvidia, the manufacturer, the board partner and the store all wanting to make their own bit of profit. In the case of these consoles, MS/Sony are basically skipping out the board partner and store in regards the cost of components.

Bearing in mind this is 'next gen gpu' I'd argue the gpu would fall at the current 2060 range in terms of pricing (assuming no 'price gouging' from coronavirus shortages), although obviously taking into account my above comments about retail price versus the price MS/Sony are likely paying.
    No price gouging - hasn't the last few years shown PC is a cash cow?? PC gaming has been price gouged for years - Nvidia's net and gross margins are close to that of the mining boom now,with no mining boom. Their margins are more than Intel and Apple now. Look at the whole RTX joke - lets price the cards so high,that the previous generation sells out at RRP,instead of what used to happen,ie,previous generation would get price cuts when a new generation was launched. Because got to protect record margins,and sure these companies are not charities,but neither are consumers!

AMD will price close to the Nvidia as they want some of those sweet margins. Both AMD and Nvidia are doing what Intel had been doing for years,trying the smallest possible increase per generation they can get away and charging the most they can get away. Then both pricing as close to each other and releasing as many different tiers per GPU they can get away with. This is what happens when you have two companies only - the only hope is AMD decides to do a Ryzen with Navi 2.0,which I won't bet on.

Honestly I have been a PC gamer for decades and I am getting fedup with home the sub £300 mainstream market is being drip fed,so they can force people to higher tiers increasingly. I know more and more people who used to be dedicated PC games now buying consoles too,and upgrading their PCs less and less often. But are most of these people computer enthusiasts,not really,so I assume people who are more around enthusiasts will be different so YMMV and just throw money at it.

I have come to the point I will see how things go for the next two to three years,and if things don't improve at a sufficient rate,I will just keep a minimum specified desktop for my non-gaming stuff and legacy games,and consider a console,and I don't own home consoles(I might have had an Atari once when I was young).

I hope both these new consoles give the PC space a kick up the arse. At least another 8800GT/GTX970 or HD4870/HD5870 moment is long overdue IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post

It has functionality Navi does not have as its either RDNA1.5 or RDNA2. The fact it can hit nearly 2.25GHZ at stock,indicates it isn't RDNA1.0 IMHO.

Also you need to read how they are using the custom SSDs - DF has covered both consoles. Sony is aiming for one second load times,and fast travel without load screens or very short load screens,plus the texture streaming can be done at high rate without needing to load large chunks into the system RAM.

They are also doing specialised audio which does more individual effects than Dolby Atmos and will be tailored to each persons ears via calibration. They have repurposed another CU on the GPU to act as a audio DSP.

On PC what do we have?? Creative and Realtek rubbish,and only because Aureal and Nvidia had better solutions which were pushed out of the market.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 19-03-2020 at 01:56 PM.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Report: GPU, Motherboard Shipments Hitting Record Lows in Wake of Coronavirus Outbreak
    by Raevenlord Tuesday, 19:42 Discuss (23 Comments)
    A report via DigiTimes paints a bleak image on shipments for motherboards and GPUs. According to the publication, citing sources close to motherboard makers, the initial impact of the outbreak severely affected production - and the entire supply chain ecosystem needed to ferry these across the world. Alongside reduced demand in China (reported to be down 50% YoY and unlikely to pick up until July at the earliest) and other countries, the stage is set for a record low in some of our most favored hardware pieces.

Market observers had expected a seasonal increase in demand entering Q3 2020 which may never come to fruition, as DigiTimes also mentions AMD, Intel and NVIDIA as being unlikely to achieve their target sales for this time period. The reduced demand could see prices come down on components and various hardware pieces, should it linger for longer than the fabrication bottlenecks factories are currently facing. Some publications are pointing towards this drop in demand as a reason for NVIDIA to delay their expected GTC announcements, which the company's CEO, Jensen Huang, has already come out saying "Could wait".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information