• Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Re: All we know about the Dyson CoVent ventilator

Building a ventilator that meets the essential requirements of the MHRA is not hard. At all. The tech is ancient and not in patent and the thing looks to be built out of bent sheet metal, likely using industrial lego tubing inside and their existing motor tech as they have it, it works and they know the issues. Modern ventilators are, like most medical kit, insanely expensive, complex and full of patented stuff. But, the fundamentals are not hard to do, especially with a bunch of engineers who really know their stuff. There are a load of optional MHRA criteria which are nice to haves but fulfilling the essentials isn't hard and I reckon most people on here with a couple of weeks to do the research could design and build one. The clever part is to build one which can be produced fast and will be reliable as you don't have time for testing. I'd personally go for a mostly mechanically moderated design with a couple of timers for varying respiratory rate and so on. Once that really simple stuff is in place, I'd pop in a micro controller with firmware that can be updated to enable the optional criteria later on after the thing has been built. What happens a lot in medical devices is you have a fancy ASIC type thing with a brain box, NAND, etc which gives you access to the fancy stuff but you also have, below that, a very simple system that kicks in if the fancy stuff fails. Example is a pacemaker where you have all the fancy stuff but beneath that you have a capacitor bank, a timer and a battery which just paces at a specific rate and high outputs to keep the patient alive if the device's brains get mushed.

That design looks pretty damned awesome I must say. You're going to have a whole load of people who have never touched a ventilator running these things under supervision from a distance and so simplicity is essential. The mobility side of things is great too as the whole environment is going to be very fluid and fast moving so having these things bolted to the bedside is great.

I'm really hoping I can get back to work for when the crisis really hits my home town but I don't think they're going to let me near. I've got a suppressed immune system and so the best thing I can do is to not get sick and take up resources as minor infections have a habit of trying to kill me. It's a standing joke that I have a good crack at dying from a simple bug roughly every 18 months. I'm therefore due. So I'm sat at home, making hand sanitiser for the vulnerable who can't get any, fixing the neighbours household appliances, reading, playing games I have never got around to playing, thinking of a fun way to fix our downstairs bog and picking locks out of boredom and frustration.

1.5 weeks off work and I'm going utterly mad but on the upside, my 12 core beast of a CPU is adding to the distributed compute effort AND keeping my house warm. I'm quite pleased that it can now sustain full load on all but two 24 logical cores (I think it leaves them part loaded so Windows still works) at a stable 4.0GHz and hovers around 75C. On the downside, my AMD GPU doesn't appear to be used much as they seem to rely on CUDA support for any real grunt. It's a shame as the Vega64 is a great compute card, even if it's a little saggy as a graphics card.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    I was talking about the new Dyson products not lasting as long as older products they made!

Its a joke I think.
    Ah, because 'Picking up' and Dyson makes vacuum cleaners... I see.. Yes.. There it is...

Thanks

Looks like the original Star Trek medical monitors
    Jon

Thanks
    • mtyson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4790T
      • Memory:
      • 12GB
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk 128GB SSD + Kingston 500GB SSD + NAS etc
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 430W
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z9 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 31.5-inch VA QHD monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin fibre

Those who thought that the Gtech solution was cool might be disappointed by the following update from Worcester News:

---------------
    CITY-BASED manufacture Gtech has been told by the government to not produce much-needed ventilators less than a week after getting the go-ahead, the company’s chief executive has said.

Nick Grey, chief executive of Gtech, said he had been advised by the government on Thursday (March 27) to not push forward with production of ventilators, despite answering a call for help to assist in producing more than 30,000 ventilators, less than two weeks ago.

A statement from the Gtech chief executive said: “Thank you so much for offering to help Gtech with our medical ventilator. I have been absolutely overwhelmed by everyone’s support and generosity.

“On Friday (March 20), the cabinet and medical group co-ordinating the project gave us the go ahead to prepare for production.

“However last evening (March 26) they advised that they did not want us to proceed at this time.

“Everyone involved can be proud that we were ready to respond to the nation needs and start production in such a short time.

“We will still complete and publish our design as there has been a lot of interest for it from around the world.

“Thanks again for all your support and Gtech stand ready to go into production with your support should they be asked to do so.”

The government has been contacted for comment.

Thanks

obviously there's lots of panicking and people trying to do what's best, and loads of these things are being made around the world, but if hospitals usually just have a tiny number and tens or hundreds of thousands of them are now being made around the world, what is going to happen to them all once we've got a grip on this and a cure to the virus? sure, some people will say it's necessary etc etc etc and one problem at a time, so don't worry about that, but the question still stands, what will happen to them all when they aren't required? scrap pile, recycled, what?

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    , but the question still stands, what will happen to them all when they aren't required? scrap pile, recycled, what?
    I quite liked the look of the Gtech one partly for that reason. There seemed to be a lot of general purpose parts there like the pressure regulator valve that are cheap and could happily end up on ebay for re-use. Other parts like the syringes are disposable anyway.

OTOH I am baffled by the Dyson saying theirs uses one of their digital motors. Much though I like my Dyson hand held vacuum, that motor makes a real racket and I would hate to be in a converted conference center makeshift hospital room with 100 of them screaming away.

Edit: China simply donated their spare machines to Italy, for once dumping their waste on another country

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    It's a shame as the Vega64 is a great compute card, even if it's a little saggy as a graphics card.
    I'm getting idle times, but my Vega56 is seeing a reasonable amount of work. The two of us currently top producers in the Hexus team chart are Vega 56 users. Are you in a team?

I did notice my wife had installed and configured the client and was only folding on her CPU until I did a reboot. Now it has found her RX480. Had a similar problem with the RX570 VR rig downstairs. If you are seeing no GPU work at all then that isn't right and it needs a kick.

Thanks
    • probedb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8P67 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 7850OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell P2414H x 2
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet, currently 6MBps

Sold my Dyson after a year, cheap plastic rubbish even if the technology is good.

Also are Dyson gonna sell these at 4x as much as everyone else like all their other products?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    sure, some people will say it's necessary
    I think most people would say that.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I'm getting idle times, but my Vega56 is seeing a reasonable amount of work. The two of us currently top producers in the Hexus team chart are Vega 56 users. Are you in a team?

I did notice my wife had installed and configured the client and was only folding on her CPU until I did a reboot. Now it has found her RX480. Had a similar problem with the RX570 VR rig downstairs. If you are seeing no GPU work at all then that isn't right and it needs a kick.
    I have seen GPU work once or twice but the rest of the time it has been stood idle. When it was getting used, it was always under 15%. There's a mention about ensuring the right version of the drivers is on and then ensuring they don't get updated.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    I have seen GPU work once or twice but the rest of the time it has been stood idle. When it was getting used, it was always under 15%. There's a mention about ensuring the right version of the drivers is on and then ensuring they don't get updated.
    Windows Task Manager says my GPU is almost idle when folding, but the Performance tab in Radeon Software says it is over 90% and drawing lots of Watts. Apparently I am running 19.12.2, a bit old now but complaints about stability in the latest drivers have put me off the upgrade.

Edit: Logs say it hasn't had anything to fold for over an hour now though. That seems sadly common.
    Last edited by DanceswithUnix; 28-03-2020 at 11:13 PM.

Thanks

This is all concept art, no shots of a working prototype? I'm calling bulls**t until we see something coming off a production line. Dyson is legendary for being full of it, will he deliver units to hospitals in his electric car?

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by DrillSgt View Post
    This is all concept art, no shots of a working prototype?
    *Shrug*, working prototypes never look pretty, specially on something designed this rapidly.

As an engineer I really like the look of the Gtech one, but I imagine the image of the prototype will make most people think "I don't want my life in the hands of that thing" looking at a device with a PSU dangling in the open. But look at the other videos, the assembly guide shows an entirely mechanical device. That leads you to the calibration video, which has a different mechanical device. None of these prototypes seem to be the same as the animated diagram in the video shown here. I think they rushed out too much information there before it was ready.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I'm sure the Dyson would be reliable for years to come. That's kind of the problem, we only need something that is reliable for the next few months, and maintainable with bits you would find laying about in a hospital.

Kind of like the 80's "The Great Egg Race" program but with rather higher stakes
    Shame their proper products probably don't last years either!
    Really, I've had the same Dyson vac for over 10 years and it still works fine.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Gh0sty View Post
    Really, I've had the same Dyson vac for over 10 years and it still works fine.
    Their earlier products were made in the UK,but that great supporter of UK manufacturing,Dyson,fired all his workers and moved production to Malaysia,and ever since reliability has started to become progressively worse with newer models. I never understood why Miele could still have a big factory in Germany to make their vaccuum cleaners,and more expensive Dyson "has" to make it in Malaysia.

OTH,I have one of the UK made Dualit toasters which is well over 20 years old. They too are slowly moving production to China it appears!
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 29-03-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

there is nothing to worry about, what is the alternative of it

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information