Thread: Linux 5.6 Kernel released with Nvidia RTX 20 graphics support

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Linux 5.6 Kernel released with Nvidia RTX 20 graphics support

And there is support for new CPUs, USB4, Wireguard VPN, and Amazon Echo speakers.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Linux 5.6 Kernel released with Nvidia RTX 20 graphics support

Good to see them being proactive about the Y2K38 bug. I was on an airliner last year whose seat-back entertainment system was running an ancient version of Red Hat on an early-2000s Geode processor. Embedded systems today could conceivably still be running in 2038.

Registered+
    Thanks

The open source Nouveau drivers still lack reclocking support (and probably never will have it) so this announcement just means the open source drivers will give a basic display out and can't be used for gaming due to clocks staying in their default low power states rather than boosting up.

On top of that the nouveau project is lacking developers working on it and still needs things like vulkan support to be added, the only way to really use Nvidia on Linux is via the closed source proprietary blobs.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

The popular alternative OS kernel
    That was odd to read for me. Alternative to what? It used to be an alternative to the likes of SCO and Solaris, but these days dominates the Unix landscape. It also dominates in large server rooms. It is a workhorse, powering our routers, TVs and phones, and generally everything we want to just work.

Quote Originally Posted by Core2Extreme View Post
    Good to see them being proactive about the Y2K38 bug. I was on an airliner last year whose seat-back entertainment system was running an ancient version of Red Hat on an early-2000s Geode processor. Embedded systems today could conceivably still be running in 2038.
    Yeah, it's an amusing turn around. I remember Linus saying we would all be on 64 bit long before 2038 so it didn't matter. That was about 2 decades ago, he was rather x86 centric back then. But I suppose whilst the 32 bit machines we had back then were obviously going to be replaced with 64 bit versions, none of us appreciated just how cheap and pervasive the 32 bit chips would become powering everything else, so the problem didn't go away it went way way up.

Thread Information