Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 88

Thread: BBC puts forward levy on broadband bills idea

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    29,803
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,936 times in 678 posts

    BBC puts forward levy on broadband bills idea

    In a lengthy statement on the UK Govt proposal to decriminalise TV licence fee evasion.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    "You're my wife now!" Ravens Nest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Pandemonium Carnival
    Posts
    1,586
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked
    50 times in 30 posts

    Re: BBC puts forward levy on broadband bills idea

    Another stealth tax, hidden inside another bill.

    I can decide to get extra TV channels from Sky-Virgin, B.T. e.t.c. and even more from Netflix, Prime, Disney +,Now TV this is my choice but BBC is not a choice it is enforced upon us and i don't watch any of it, i haven't watched anything on it for years yet they propose to hide it within bills you have no choice but to pay every month.

    Why is all this being discussed now? with all this nightmare going on around us
    Last edited by Ravens Nest; 01-04-2020 at 11:37 AM.
    "Mmm... I want you for my wife!"
    "Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee?"
    "Of course you can. We would love for you to join us."

  3. Received thanks from:

    Jonj1611 (01-04-2020),Pleiades (01-04-2020)

  4. #3
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: BBC puts forward levy on broadband bills idea

    In the 90's, The UK and Canada were the foremost pirates of international TV.
    Go ahead, push it. you'll see dropped subscriptions, and a wider watcher-ship (<<word?)

  5. #4
    Senior Member watercooled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,067
    Thanks
    1,515
    Thanked
    972 times in 832 posts

    Re: BBC puts forward levy on broadband bills idea

    What an utterly ridiculous, slimy proposal. They really are grasping at straws to continue forcing people to pay against their will, aren't they?

    I thought it might have been an April Fools joke when I first read about it on another site but found it is really mentioned in the attached BBC-published document.

    I cant see adding something like £20 per month to every broadband bill in the country being popular with anyone. Also how would they allow for multiple broadband/mobile subscriptions per person/household, or for people who currently don't pay TV License because they have no need or want for it? So go from bullying people into buying something the probably don't need into getting the Government to force every UK resident to pay for it whether they like it or not? Absolutely outrageous, disgusting proposal. Hopefully the Government and Ofcom treat them as the laughing stock they are, trying to increase broadband prices at a time when they're also trying to regulate fair access and pricing for everyone in the country through things like the FTTP rollout and USO.


  6. Received thanks from:

    Pleiades (01-04-2020)

  7. #5
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    63
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: BBC puts forward levy on broadband bills idea

    If the BBC were impartial, I'd happily pay the license fee.
    It used to be that they read the news and interviewed politicians and allowed the viewer to form their own opinions. The bias displayed now is incredible.

  8. #6
    "You're my wife now!" Ravens Nest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Pandemonium Carnival
    Posts
    1,586
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked
    50 times in 30 posts

    Re: BBC puts forward levy on broadband bills idea

    Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    What an utterly ridiculous, slimy proposal. They really are grasping at straws to continue forcing people to pay against their will, aren't they?

    I thought it might have been an April Fools joke when I first read about it on another site but found it is really mentioned in the attached BBC-published document.

    I cant see adding something like £20 per month to every broadband bill in the country being popular with anyone. Also how would they allow for multiple broadband/mobile subscriptions per person/household, or for people who currently don't pay TV License because they have no need or want for it? So go from bullying people into buying something the probably don't need into getting the Government to force every UK resident to pay for it whether they like it or not? Absolutely outrageous, disgusting proposal. Hopefully the Government and Ofcom treat them as the laughing stock they are, trying to increase broadband prices at a time when they're also trying to regulate fair access and pricing for everyone in the country through things like the FTTP rollout and USO.

    Was it posted today then, April 1st?? we are the fools they seem to be saying..

    £20 per household, from £12.56 so an increase of £7.44 a month, for what?? more "Gawdblimeygovern-enders" and biased news coverage, and forced by law on every household whether they watch it or not.
    "Mmm... I want you for my wife!"
    "Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee?"
    "Of course you can. We would love for you to join us."

  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    448
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    15 times in 12 posts
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

    Re: BBC puts forward levy on broadband bills idea

    In Denmark TV license have also been moved in among the taxes, and so poor people stand little chance of avoiding it, and rich will find it no problem.

    I am also paying for the poo though i have not owned a TV in 2 months now
    I am also part of a group lawsuit against Danish national TV as they for years collected a illegal fee.
    Funny thing it is established they did so, but somehow there have to be a lawsuit, and only the people in it will get their money back, those not in it forfeit their money to the bottomless pit that is Denmark.

    It is indeed embarrassing we have governments like that, it ( in my book at least ) say a little about the intelligence of the average citizen in our countries.

    PS. Here you have to pay for TV even if you don't have a TV, just the chance of you might being able to stream it to a computer or phone via internet and its "pay up sucker"
    And the fix are so easy just have people log on to their streaming service with their digital passport, and presto only actual users get to pay.

  10. #8
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    99
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked
    7 times in 7 posts
    • fail_quail's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 1700
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200mhz
      • Storage:
      • 512GB NVME SSD x2, 320GB SATA SSHD, 4TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD RX580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750W
      • Case:
      • corsair carbide 88r
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell WFP 2408 + cheap 22" LG monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100meg Virgin cable

    Re: BBC puts forward levy on broadband bills idea

    Quote Originally Posted by judge56988 View Post
    If the BBC were impartial, I'd happily pay the license fee.
    It used to be that they read the news and interviewed politicians and allowed the viewer to form their own opinions. The bias displayed now is incredible.
    My views as well.


  11. #9
    Senior Member this_is_gav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,845
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked
    254 times in 216 posts

    Re: BBC puts forward levy on broadband bills idea

    I've been of the opinion for a while that the BBC should concentrate on factual (shows which often fund themselves many times over when released worldwide) and educational shows, as well as news and other such programming, rather than entertainment.

    Scrap the entertainment element and celebrity fees and concentrate on the core programming and infrastructure and you'll probably end up with a tiny morsel of costs compared to now while maintaining key programming.

    Move the entertainment side either to advert-supported or a subscription model. In my view it shouldn't be almost compulsory and certainly isn't essential.

  12. Received thanks from:

    Pleiades (01-04-2020)

  13. #10
    Registered+
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked
    28 times in 22 posts

    Re: BBC puts forward levy on broadband bills idea

    Considering how bad the bbc were during the election I've got rid of my tv license. They've just become this insidious right wing entity that should be abolished imho.

  14. Received thanks from:

    Pleiades (01-04-2020)

  15. #11
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    63
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: BBC puts forward levy on broadband bills idea

    Quote Originally Posted by DK2019 View Post
    Considering how bad the bbc were during the election I've got rid of my tv license. They've just become this insidious right wing entity that should be abolished imho.
    Right wing??!!
    I'll admit they gave Corbyn some stick but other than that they were very anti Tory. Did you not see the dismay on the faces and hear it in the voices of all those journalists and presenters when the exit poll results were revealed? There was barely disguised amazement that the electorate could behave so stupidly. Same as what happened after the Brexit election. They are heavily anti-populist and that puts them at odds with much of the population of the UK outside London.

  16. #12
    Registered+
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked
    28 times in 22 posts

    Re: BBC puts forward levy on broadband bills idea

    Quote Originally Posted by judge56988 View Post
    Right wing??!!
    I'll admit they gave Corbyn some stick but other than that they were very anti Tory. Did you not see the dismay on the faces and hear it in the voices of all those journalists and presenters when the exit poll results were revealed? There was barely disguised amazement that the electorate could behave so stupidly. Same as what happened after the Brexit election. They are heavily anti-populist and that puts them at odds with much of the population of the UK outside London.
    They were pretty much state sponsored propaganda during the election and before that. They doctored footage twice to make boris look good and were attacking corbyn for years. Hell the tories now are considering broadband a need to have utility yet it was labelled broadband communism by the bbc. They also called him a czechen spy and other bollocks.
    Last edited by DK2019; 01-04-2020 at 03:31 PM.

  17. Received thanks from:

    Pleiades (01-04-2020)

  18. #13
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    • blueberry99's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • i7 2600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB DDR3 2133
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX450
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • 65 / 18 FTTC

    Re: BBC puts forward levy on broadband bills idea

    The BBC "licence fee" is an old barnacle that somehow hasn't been scraped off the hull. Just one example of a lot of post-war junk still around us, piled up in the back garden, lingering only due to backward-looking attitudes. We can do better.

  19. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    186
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    11 times in 10 posts

    Re: BBC puts forward levy on broadband bills idea

    Quote Originally Posted by judge56988 View Post
    Right wing??!!
    I'll admit they gave Corbyn some stick but other than that they were very anti Tory.
    I don't watch BBC news but I did hear Radio 4 news bring up 'antisemitism in the Labour party' 3-4 times a week, month after month, before the general election. Of course they rarely actually bothered to say what exactly was said or done that was supposed to be 'antisemitic', but you sure you did know that Labour were going to start a pogrom if Corbyn got in.

    Bias aside, it's clear that the public service element of the BBC is sorely lacking and now only a small minority of what they spend our money on. Stop the dumbing-down, stop the agenda pushing, or stop being publicly funded.

  20. Received thanks from:

    Pleiades (01-04-2020)

  21. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    181
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    6 times in 5 posts

    Re: BBC puts forward levy on broadband bills idea

    The BBC can F*** off.

  22. #16
    Hooning about Hoonigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,168
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked
    410 times in 290 posts
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GIGABYTE X570 AORUS MASTER
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti VENTUS OC
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 650W
      • Case:
      • be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Vivid 350

    Re: BBC puts forward levy on broadband bills idea

    Haven't paid for a TV licence for a little while now and, to be frank, I'm sick to the back teeth of the threatening letters we keep receiving. The BBC is going to die, because they pay waaaayyyyy over the odds to the employees.

    Instead of coming after people who don't use the service, AT ALL, cut your outgoings!

  23. Received thanks from:

    Jonj1611 (01-04-2020)

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •