Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samsung intends to exit LCD market, go all in on QD-LED

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Samsung intends to exit LCD market, go all in on QD-LED

Closure of LCD making facilities in South Korea and China scheduled for end of 2020.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Samsung intends to exit LCD market, go all in on QD-LED

CSOT is partially owned by Samsung. Also the Verge has been told by Samsung,that their QLED backlight LCDs won't be affected by this:
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/31/2...hina-factories

Although Samsung Display says that it will be able to continue supplying its existing LCD orders through the end of the year, there are questions about what Samsung Electronics, the largest TV manufacturer in the world, will use in its LCD TVs going forward. Samsung told The Verge that it does not expect the shutdown to affect its LCD-based QLED TV lineup. So for the near-term, nothing changes.

One alternative is that Samsung buys its LCD panels from suppliers like TCL-owned CSOT and AUO, which already supply panels for Samsung TVs. Last year The Elec reported that Samsung could close all its South Korean LCD production lines, and make up the difference with panels bought from Chinese manufacturers like CSOT, which Samsung Display has invested in.
    Almost the entire range of Samsung higher end LCD TVs,use QLED backlights already.

Thanks

Hopefully the claim about QLED lifespan is true, because so fare I've been avoiding OLED displays wherever possible due to the issue of burn-in, as I've seen it first-hand on a few phones, and heard complaints from friends about their phones (worrying given their generally much lower display-on time vs TVs and monitors). A cynical person could infer it's a push towards disposable technology.

Yes, LCD displays can go bad, and I've known it to happen to a couple of displays after years of use. However that's the exception rather than the rule and most LCD displays I've encountered have lasted many, many years without issue, whereas I've seen many OLED displays get obvious burn-in after just a few months.

Maybe things really have improved with OLEDs recently, but given the quality of modern LCD panels I've just avoided taking the chance.

I understand TVs should be at less risk of burn-in because they don't tend to display as much static content (although that isn't true with some channels and particularly news channels), but it's very worrying for computer monitors. I would like to see some proper long-term tests before investing in this type of display myself.

Thanks
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II
      • CPU:
      • Intel 7960X (4.4GHZ All Core)
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (8 x 8GB) 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1x 2TB M.2, 2x 1TB M.2, 960GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nvidia 3080 FE (1965MHz @906mV +1500 VRAM)
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo v2
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" Gigabyte M28U 4k + 24" Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    because so fare I've been avoiding OLED displays wherever possible due to the issue of burn-in
    2 years in on my TV and no issues to report as yet

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Round here my lot are all buying LG televisions. Something to do with Samsung not rolling out software and feature updates like everyone else, but just passing it on to the next set of product releases...
    I took one mate TV shopping recently and he was looking at OLEDs and QLEDs up in the £2k range. The Sammy price included a 10 year guarantee against screen burn-in... on a QLED that cannot burn-in anyway!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kanoe View Post
    Good to know, thanks. Out of interest, does it spend much time displaying any static content?

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Round here my lot are all buying LG televisions. Something to do with Samsung not rolling out software and feature updates like everyone else, but just passing it on to the next set of product releases...
    I was close to choosing an LG when our main Samsung TV died (power supply board I think, still intend to try repairing it), but ended up going with another Samsung for the panel. It turned out the LG I was looking at was some RGBW panel rather than proper RGB.

I took one mate TV shopping recently and he was looking at OLEDs and QLEDs up in the £2k range. The Sammy price included a 10 year guarantee against screen burn-in... on a QLED that cannot burn-in anyway!!!
    The guarantee is reassuring - I wonder if it has any 'but not if you use as a monitor' disclaimers? I'll have to look into that. Also I've not seen the claim that QLEDs outright cannot suffer burn-in, rather they're likely to last far longer?

Edit: I've just tried to do some searches for QLED and burn-in but it looks like there's some serious misunderstandings about which technology they're referring to i.e. QD-LCD displays rather than actual QLED ones. Much like the (probably deliberate) confusion around LED-backlit LCDs when they were new. It makes it hard to have much confidence in what I'm reading in many of the articles/posts.
    Last edited by watercooled; 31-03-2020 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks

Samsung Disney+ app is a bit rubbish at moment.... mind you we have about 3 sources to put on the app if we need it (don't yet as watched Mandalorian day after it was released in the US)
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Samsung miss use the term QLED so much what they are actually calling future QLED is any of the below

QD-OLED - yes Samsung is working on its own TV OLED.

QNED - a modified form of blue LED.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

They did this to our Samsung QLED LCD TV,regarding updating how HDR is handled on their TVs - the BBC,etc use a newer standard which the TV should support,but Samsung didn't bother updating the firmware,but the model after it with essentially the same panel,electronics has the update. It is a shame as the TV is fantastic.

Also Samsung use the name QLED for their LCD TVs,ie,the panel is LCD and the backlight is QLED,so they can technically have burn-in,but our last LCD TV only showed burn-in after a decade of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato-2 View Post
    Samsung miss use the term QLED so much what they are actually calling future QLED is any of the below

QD-OLED - yes Samsung is working on its own TV OLED.

QNED - a modified form of blue LED.
    Also QLED backlit LCD TVs.

Thanks

Hopefully the claim about QLED lifespan is true, because so fare I've been avoiding OLED displays wherever possible due to the issue of burn-in, as I've seen it first-hand on a few phones, and heard complaints from friends about their phones (worrying given their generally much lower display-on time vs TVs and monitors). A cynical person could infer it's a push towards disposable technology.
    On my end, I've never personally experienced burn-in on any of the three Galaxy S phones that I've owned, nor heard any of my friends and family mention it.

However.. While I was initially blown away by OLED the first time I've seen on on a large TV, prompting me to make a thread about it and wishing they would spread to laptops.

Since then a few OLED laptops have appeared, but I've grown weary of the tech after seeing my friend's OLED TV develop burn-in before the third year (from mainly focussed on the HUD, and more specifically the ultimate indicator in Overwatch). While my friend do enjoy Overwatch, it's not like he plays super long hours, nor do I see him leave the TV on if he plans to leave the TV on long period. If that is the case for a TV, then it is definitely not suitable for the way I use laptops (frequently leave it on while I go off to do other things - and I haven't used a screensaver for a pretty long time).

I would definitely want to get more reassurance that this aspect of the technology has since improved before I would consider on anything other than on a mobile phone. But then, it's not like my friend was an early adopter of the tech.

(Haven't looked at QLED yet)

Thanks

Yeah that's pretty much where I sit with regard to the apprehension. I don't cycle through technology rapidly enough to not care about longevity.

Thanks
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II
      • CPU:
      • Intel 7960X (4.4GHZ All Core)
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (8 x 8GB) 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1x 2TB M.2, 2x 1TB M.2, 960GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nvidia 3080 FE (1965MHz @906mV +1500 VRAM)
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo v2
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" Gigabyte M28U 4k + 24" Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

Good to know, thanks. Out of interest, does it spend much time displaying any static content?
    Not really, it has 2 things to help stop that:

1) Pixel shifter, I used to notice every time it did it and now I don't even see it shift

2) If it detects a static screen, like pausing playback on a video for a min or so it goes to screen saver mode

The fact that I watch a lot of live sport with the silly sky sports logo in the top corner for hours on end does make me nervous that one day that is all that will be in the top corner!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    On my end, I've never personally experienced burn-in on any of the three Galaxy S phones that I've owned, nor heard any of my friends and family mention it.
    I know from people who play games such as Ingress and Pokemon Go, which have static elements in the UI,that they still have screen problems.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 31-03-2020 at 09:01 PM.

Thanks

Does anyone know what the very latest OLED panels in the likes of the new Galaxy, iPhone and Oneplus devices are like in that regard? I don't doubt they're improving but it's hard to quantify what exactly that means.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kanoe View Post
    because so fare I've been avoiding OLED displays wherever possible due to the issue of burn-in
    My s7 edge has had burn-in since it was 6 months old. Mind you, it's only noticeable when displaying white or very light backgounds. It has put me off buying an OLED telly though.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

OLED burn in from my experience has been only on the S7 series and then that phone was utterly abused and then whinged about. It was being used as a sat nav for hours at a time, several times a week and being fast wirelessly charged at the time. Surprise, surprise, it got screen burn. I gave the guy an LCD phone to use which he then either lost or sold having not used it for the purpose. I think the earlier S7s were more prone to it from normal use from the stories I've heard and my experience with them relates to newer S7s.

Outside that, I have an S8 and my missus has an S7 and we have not seen any evidence of screen burn after many years of use. Also haven't heard of any screen burn issues on broadcast OLEDs but these are outside, portable monitors and don't exactly have a long expected lifespan. I don't think they have a fixed overlay on either, just an image which is always moving.

From a screen burn perspective, I think it's only an issue if you're using it outside of normal consumer needs. I don't have anything on my TV that's a constant, never changing image. Now, a PC monitor is a different matter entirely and I'd never touch an OLED PC monitor unless it had some mitigations in the OS. For example, the S8 moves things around the screen (the always-on image and clock gradually move around the screen over a long period of time) but I can't see how Windows is going to manage that kind of thing. I suppose you could have a monitor which can rotate 360 degrees and it asks you to turn it like a mattress every so often. Not a graceful fix but, for the benefits of OLED, a worthwhile trade off in my book.

I'd hesitate to buy an OLED TV but I'd not rule it out right now. I don't have the kinds of high-brightness, long operating hours use case to see screen burn as a big issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information