Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 21

Thread: Microsoft delivers first look at Xbox Series X gameplay (video)

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    29,803
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,936 times in 678 posts

    Microsoft delivers first look at Xbox Series X gameplay (video)

    13 games showcased including Dirt 5, Madden NFL 21, and Assassin's Creed: Valhalla.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,041
    Thanks
    421
    Thanked
    386 times in 264 posts

    Re: Microsoft delivers first look at Xbox Series X gameplay (video)

    The X is meant to use better hardware right, because i came away from that distinctly unimpressed.

    I know it's early so things will improve but some of those games looked like PC games from a decade ago but with more RGB.

  3. #3
    Registered+
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts
    • AnotherDave's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime Z370-A
      • CPU:
      • i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 4x 8GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500, 250GB Crucial BX100, 3TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • XFX XTR 650W
      • Case:
      • AeroCool DS200 (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC U3477PQU 34" 21:9

    Re: Microsoft delivers first look at Xbox Series X gameplay (video)

    For a video that's supposed to show off the capabilities of a new console it's surprisingly lacklustre. The lighting and character models in some scenes in the Bloodlines 2 clip looked pretty shonky.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,053
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    117 times in 100 posts

    Re: Microsoft delivers first look at Xbox Series X gameplay (video)

    Both above - you know that video is resampled down from 4k/120 don't ya and then mangled by youtubes compression?
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  5. #5
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Microsoft delivers first look at Xbox Series X gameplay (video)

    Microsoft tries to create anticipation buy showing of. Not impressive, I wouldnt buy.

  6. #6
    Registered+
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts
    • AnotherDave's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime Z370-A
      • CPU:
      • i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 4x 8GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500, 250GB Crucial BX100, 3TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • XFX XTR 650W
      • Case:
      • AeroCool DS200 (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC U3477PQU 34" 21:9

    Re: Microsoft delivers first look at Xbox Series X gameplay (video)

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Both above - you know that video is resampled down from 4k/120 don't ya and then mangled by youtubes compression?
    Yes, but still. Don't get me wrong, a lot of it looks great. Maybe that's why I found it so jarring to see character models that look like they're from Fallout 4 and really unnatural lighting. These in particular seemed out of place with most of the other scenes.

    https://imgur.com/CM0NGyB

    https://imgur.com/F7QQmUL

    https://imgur.com/Ciqupej

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts

    Re: Microsoft delivers first look at Xbox Series X gameplay (video)

    Microsoft have been killing it lately, but the footage provided is severely embarasssing, for all involved.

    Most look like PS3 games, no joke.

    With this level of hardware, things should look a lot better, even just by default.

    It also basically verifies that the new purchasing model they have is a sham too.
    Purchase current gen, get next gen copy of game free. The next gen version will obviously be the same, just upscale.

    They likely done this to create an instant catalogue of "next gen" games.

    As the hardware is practically the same, but with a few new features and higher clocks (newer / difference processor though- yes I'm aware of the GPU architecture), almost no effort is required, Microsoft are quoted as saying this themselves (Forza devs and others).

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts

    Re: Microsoft delivers first look at Xbox Series X gameplay (video)

    Yeah, YouTube is terrible, it's a wonder Alphabet haven't managed to destroy the monopoly they purchased. Source is always terribly degraded.

    But "if" this is severely degraded footage, who's to blame? Surely Microsoft would want the best quality shown, especially for the first unveil.

    I watched on Twitch, not sure on quality vs YouTube.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    448
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    15 times in 12 posts
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

    Re: Microsoft delivers first look at Xbox Series X gameplay (video)

    MS should have made the original footage available for download, youtube are horrible, and they ruin your videos too.
    TBH i dont get one bit that MS would have anything to do with that brand, its not like they can do things they cant do, and something simple like hosting a few videos MS should be able to do.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,041
    Thanks
    421
    Thanked
    386 times in 264 posts

    Re: Microsoft delivers first look at Xbox Series X gameplay (video)

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Both above - you know that video is resampled down from 4k/120 don't ya and then mangled by youtubes compression?
    What AnotherDave says bellow, it wasn't so much the sampling or mangling of the video it was the blockiness of some models, things like the foliage, movement of things looking a bit unreal, and general lack of complexity in scenes.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherDave View Post
    Yes, but still. Don't get me wrong, a lot of it looks great. Maybe that's why I found it so jarring to see character models that look like they're from Fallout 4 and really unnatural lighting. These in particular seemed out of place with most of the other scenes.

    https://imgur.com/CM0NGyB

    https://imgur.com/F7QQmUL

    https://imgur.com/Ciqupej

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,053
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    117 times in 100 posts

    Re: Microsoft delivers first look at Xbox Series X gameplay (video)

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    What AnotherDave says bellow, it wasn't so much the sampling or mangling of the video it was the blockiness of some models, things like the foliage, movement of things looking a bit unreal, and general lack of complexity in scenes.
    Agreed but for a pre-launch video I've also seen worse...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  12. #12
    Headless Chicken Terbinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,410
    Thanks
    1,124
    Thanked
    691 times in 564 posts
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

    Re: Microsoft delivers first look at Xbox Series X gameplay (video)

    Scorn and the space combat game looked alright, hard to really see without HQ B-roll though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo69 View Post
    It also basically verifies that the new purchasing model they have is a sham too.
    Purchase current gen, get next gen copy of game free. The next gen version will obviously be the same, just upscale.
    On what planet is this considered a "sham"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo69 View Post
    As the hardware is practically the same, but with a few new features and higher clocks (newer / difference processor though- yes I'm aware of the GPU architecture), almost no effort is required, Microsoft are quoted as saying this themselves (Forza devs and others).
    Why is this a bad thing?

    The quicker devs can get their code up and running without headaches, the better. The SSD is a literal game changer in how developers (have to) manage the memory subsystem and what that opens up without being limited to 50-100MB/s bursts of data with a huge seek time.

    Very strange take.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts

    Re: Microsoft delivers first look at Xbox Series X gameplay (video)

    Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    Scorn and the space combat game looked alright, hard to really see without HQ B-roll though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo69 View Post
    It also basically verifies that the new purchasing model they have is a sham too.
    Purchase current gen, get next gen copy of game free. The next gen version will obviously be the same, just upscale.
    On what planet is this considered a "sham"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo69 View Post
    As the hardware is practically the same, but with a few new features and higher clocks (newer / difference processor though- yes I'm aware of the GPU architecture), almost no effort is required, Microsoft are quoted as saying this themselves (Forza devs and others).
    Why is this a bad thing?

    The quicker devs can get their code up and running without headaches, the better. The SSD is a literal game changer in how developers (have to) manage the memory subsystem and what that opens up without being limited to 50-100MB/s bursts of data with a huge seek time.

    Very strange take.

    I think you need to read what I wrote. The fact the systems are similar and they can create games quicker IS a good thing.

    My complaint is they are promising next gen game free, for owners of current gen version.

    The issue is it looks likely they are just up scaling and calling it next gen, something which the console will do anyway.

    They may make a few tweaks, but it isn't a genuine next gen experience. No Improvements in effects, gameplay, physics, a.i. etc.

  14. #14
    Headless Chicken Terbinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,410
    Thanks
    1,124
    Thanked
    691 times in 564 posts
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

    Re: Microsoft delivers first look at Xbox Series X gameplay (video)

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo69 View Post
    I think you need to read what I wrote. The fact the systems are similar and they can create games quicker IS a good thing.
    The rest of the post was negative so read that part in the same light ¬_¬

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo69 View Post
    My complaint is they are promising next gen game free, for owners of current gen version.

    The issue is it looks likely they are just up scaling and calling it next gen, something which the console will do anyway.

    They may make a few tweaks, but it isn't a genuine next gen experience. No Improvements in effects, gameplay, physics, a.i. etc.
    We'll have to agree to disagree here.

    MS don't have control over what third parties put out(not 100% true, but you get what I mean). Can you imagine the uproar if you did have to buy a new version for the next console (like you did this time to an extent)? Third parties have also got a pandemic to tackle and will want their software on as many systems as possible.

    There will be proper next-gen games available, and shown, at MS' presser. We've already had a glimpse of this with the HB2 trailer which was in-engine - yes, not gameplay - and it will take a while for devs to fully exploit the system + advancements in systems and engineering.

    Aside from that, I think when all is said and done the current gen games will look a generation ahead on XSX in much the same way PC games do now.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts

    Re: Microsoft delivers first look at Xbox Series X gameplay (video)

    I won't give you any more time, as you're clearly a blind fanboy in defensive mode. I'm a fan of Microsoft , recently they have been great, but I'm not blind or a fanboy.

    We're judging the footage they've presented, which so far, everyone but you agrees is absolutely dire, embarrassing even for a first unveil, I can't see why they would present this level of poor quality at such a vital point.

    I'm hopeful the studios Microsft have acquired will be allowed, and capable of producing impressive games. But as of now, after all the positive momentum, they've taken a couple of steps back.

    I'm sure in the future they'll have some good things to show, but noone has seen this yet, we can only judge what is available.

  16. #16
    Who the $%£# told you you could eat my cookies?! Oobie-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,294
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked
    17 times in 16 posts

    Re: Microsoft delivers first look at Xbox Series X gameplay (video)

    Agreed with ANotherDave - those models look like they're from the bioshock era. When you look at the abilities that are out there (namely this, which yes I appreciate is different in the sense of engine and where its being developed - https://www.hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/140666-epic-games-acquires-cubic-motion-face-animation-tech/) that particular game looks like it was brought back from 2014 and just touched up.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •