Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Seven AMD Ryzen 4000G APUs leaked by Biostar

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31,709
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2,073 times in 719 posts

    Seven AMD Ryzen 4000G APUs leaked by Biostar

    Meanwhile rumours about the clock boosted Ryzen 3000XT CPU series start to swirl.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Darkest Northamptonshire
    Posts
    2,015
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked
    1,086 times in 410 posts
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

    Re: Seven AMD Ryzen 4000G APUs leaked by Biostar

    I'm looking at the APUs for a possible media server upgrade. The Vega cores work well for transcoding using VAAPI under Linux and a 4c/8t upgrade at Ryzen 3 will be a big uplift over the Skylake era Pentium 2c/2t that currently does the job.

    My only hope is that they release a new value series motherboard ranger fairly soon to replace A320. I know it's slated but not seen a release date yet.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Back at home
    Posts
    141
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked
    24 times in 18 posts

    Re: Seven AMD Ryzen 4000G APUs leaked by Biostar

    And with one bound...

    I suppose this was to be expected - AMD just needed to stretch their legs a little to outpace Intel's latest, curate's egg, launches.

    I also anticipate some price adjustments coming down the line for existing stock.

    I also look forward to some 3900XT comparisons with Intel!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    267
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked
    17 times in 15 posts

    Re: Seven AMD Ryzen 4000G APUs leaked by Biostar

    Are we assuming those XT chips are all single CCD, 8c/16t parts? That makes the most sense for a gaming-centric range, doesn't it?

    edit: Maybe not, since that r5 3600xt would then just be a slightly boosted r7 3800x. Hmm.

  5. #5
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,842
    Thanks
    3,839
    Thanked
    5,132 times in 3,958 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Seven AMD Ryzen 4000G APUs leaked by Biostar

    Will only work on B550 and A520,and the prices have been leaked. The cheapest Asus B550A Prime is $130(so around £130 here),and the Asus B450A Prime is around £85. If that is applicable to other 500 series motherboards from other companies, the target market of the APUs,will end up probably using A520 motherboards,if they end up being most of the sub £130 AM4 motherboard market. So no overclocking and AFAIK,I don't think the A series motherboards support above 3200MHZ RAM either.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    11,902
    Thanks
    835
    Thanked
    525 times in 364 posts

    Re: Seven AMD Ryzen 4000G APUs leaked by Biostar

    Whats the difference between the Pro 4700G and the normal 4700G?

  7. #7
    Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Darkest Northamptonshire
    Posts
    2,015
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked
    1,086 times in 410 posts
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

    Re: Seven AMD Ryzen 4000G APUs leaked by Biostar

    Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    Whats the difference between the Pro 4700G and the normal 4700G?
    ECC memory support mostly.

  8. #8
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    12,631
    Thanks
    742
    Thanked
    1,485 times in 1,252 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 35 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Seven AMD Ryzen 4000G APUs leaked by Biostar

    Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    ECC memory support mostly.
    Always wondered what product AMD thought enabling memory support in APUs would threaten. They do it in all the other chips and have for years, just not APUs. Would otherwise make for a cracking small server chip, where I don't really want to add a GPU on a machine that is largely working headless.

    Wouldn't be so bad if I could actually buy a new Pro chip, but I've only seen them as pulls on Ebay

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,919
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    183 times in 153 posts

    Re: Seven AMD Ryzen 4000G APUs leaked by Biostar

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    ECC memory support mostly.
    Always wondered what product AMD thought enabling memory support in APUs would threaten. They do it in all the other chips and have for years, just not APUs. Would otherwise make for a cracking small server chip, where I don't really want to add a GPU on a machine that is largely working headless.

    Wouldn't be so bad if I could actually buy a new Pro chip, but I've only seen them as pulls on Ebay
    Is for OEM's that's why....
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  10. #10
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    12,631
    Thanks
    742
    Thanked
    1,485 times in 1,252 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 35 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Seven AMD Ryzen 4000G APUs leaked by Biostar

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Is for OEM's that's why....
    I know that the Pro chips are for OEMs, but AMD have done Pro versions of the non APU like the 1700 and that didn't involve mucking about with fusing off ECC on the non pro version.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    267
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked
    17 times in 15 posts

    Re: Seven AMD Ryzen 4000G APUs leaked by Biostar

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    The cheapest Asus B550A Prime is $130(so around £130 here),and the Asus B450A Prime is around £85. If that is applicable to other 500 series motherboards from other companies
    I can't see it. There's a bit of rearranging with SATA but the only significant change is PCIe 4.0 from CPU to the first PCIe and m.2 slots, right? It doesn't even touch the chipset!

    There's an Asus Prime B550M-A board with Intel 802.11ax on board, which might be part of what makes that one in particular expensive (if that leak is accurate)

  12. #12
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,842
    Thanks
    3,839
    Thanked
    5,132 times in 3,958 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Seven AMD Ryzen 4000G APUs leaked by Biostar

    Quote Originally Posted by edmundhonda View Post
    I can't see it. There's a bit of rearranging with SATA but the only significant change is PCIe 4.0 from CPU to the first PCIe and m.2 slots, right? It doesn't even touch the chipset!

    There's an Asus Prime B550M-A board with Intel 802.11ax on board, which might be part of what makes that one in particular expensive (if that leak is accurate)
    The Asus B550I Strix is $229,which would is around £230,ie,around X570 mini-ITX pricing. The Asus B450I Strix I have cost me £150.

    The $134 figure is for the B550M-A version,not the Wifi version:
    https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news...0-motherboards
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/15810...pearing-online

    The B550M-A is the second cheapest B550 motherboard in the Asus range,and you can tell by the use of the ALC887 codec too.

  13. #13
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    7 times in 5 posts

    Re: Seven AMD Ryzen 4000G APUs leaked by Biostar

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Will only work on B550 and A520,and the prices have been leaked. The cheapest Asus B550A Prime is $130(so around £130 here),and the Asus B450A Prime is around £85. If that is applicable to other 500 series motherboards from other companies, the target market of the APUs,will end up probably using A520 motherboards,if they end up being most of the sub £130 AM4 motherboard market. So no overclocking and AFAIK,I don't think the A series motherboards support above 3200MHZ RAM either.
    They've already backtracked on 4000 series support for B450 boards so its pretty likely that some B450 board will support them via bios update, whilst at the same time removing support for older CPUs as a result.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    261
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    12 times in 10 posts

    Re: Seven AMD Ryzen 4000G APUs leaked by Biostar

    Am I missing something, or are the onboard APU graphics less core-count than before?The 2200G and 3200G were each Vega 8, whereas the 2400G and 3400G were both Vega 11. Here the top-notch 4700G is only 8, and the rest of the stack go down from there? With he "equivalent" 4200G only being Vega 6 as opposed to Vega 8 before?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    11,902
    Thanks
    835
    Thanked
    525 times in 364 posts

    Re: Seven AMD Ryzen 4000G APUs leaked by Biostar

    Did I not read somewhere that the 4000 series APU's were based on Zen 2, not the new Zen3 architecture?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    1,693
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked
    235 times in 216 posts
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

    Re: Seven AMD Ryzen 4000G APUs leaked by Biostar

    Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    Did I not read somewhere that the 4000 series APU's were based on Zen 2, not the new Zen3 architecture?
    Yes, the APUs have been last for each Zen gen so far and that's likely to continue.
    Not only are they more complicated to integrate, they are also not as versatile. The Zen2 chiplet was used for Ryzen 3000, Threadripper 2, EPYC. The APUs will only be used for mobiles and some desktops.

    Quote Originally Posted by maverick77_uk View Post
    Am I missing something, or are the onboard APU graphics less core-count than before?The 2200G and 3200G were each Vega 8, whereas the 2400G and 3400G were both Vega 11. Here the top-notch 4700G is only 8, and the rest of the stack go down from there? With he "equivalent" 4200G only being Vega 6 as opposed to Vega 8 before?
    No, this is correct. For the Renoir APUs they went for loss cores running way faster.
    The 2000s and 3000s series ran at around max 1300MHz, 4000s APUs run at max 1750MHz.
    Theoretical max GFLOPS has actually gone down a bit (1971 down to 1792), so far the benchmarks have favoured the new smaller, faster approach.
    Guess there is only so much space and 7nm is still expensive, as normally you'd think for power-efficiency wider-slower is usually better.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •