Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Windows 10 May 2020 Update rolls out

Thanks

Re: Microsoft Windows 10 May 2020 Update rolls out

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Like you say each to their own so don't take this as me trying to tell you otherwise, but it's either get used to and sort out all the silliness now or in six months time.

I've been teaching myself a bit of powershell scripting to remove all the bloat they include, disable scheduler tasks and services, import local group policies, and make changes to the registry so, hopefully, when upgrades get pushed out i just need to *workout what they've changed and rerun the scripts.

*Their documentation on some settings are terrible or simply non-existent.
    Autoruns is quite good for stuff like that
    Jon

Thanks

Autoruns only enables/disables the start up of things and doesn't (afaik) let you programmatically makes changes, powershell, particularly the 'Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature', 'Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage', and the 'Remove-WindowsCapability' cmdlets let you uninstall or remove things that can't be done through through the GUI, you could even remove the Windows Store if you wanted to although i wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks

Indeed I have used powershell myself, I was mainly talking about scheduled tasks and services etc, apologies if I didn't make that clear
    Jon

Thanks

Updated four machines, so far:
    -HP Workstation Z600
    -Intel NUC NUC8i3
    -Surface Pro 7
    -Custom 9700k desktop

No issues. Lots more to go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    Indeed I have used powershell myself, I was mainly talking about scheduled tasks and services etc, apologies if I didn't make that clear
    Not at all, it was my mistaker so my apologies.

I'm probably a bit over enthusiastic or overshared TBH as I (you?) tend to do when discovering new things, that and i really don't like using third party GUI's when it comes to tweaking Windows, not that sysinternals is exactly third party any more or one of what I'd class as bad tweaking program though, i guess i got burnt by to many tweaking programs back in the day (not that it's changed much) changing settings that they either weren't meant to or making suggestions to change something that shouldn't really be changed.

IDK I just find making changes to the OS using the built in tools generally safer, at least if I can discover what particular settings do as like i said Microsoft's documentation is awful, for example what's "Windows.Client.ShellComponents~~~~0.0.1.0"...nobody seems to know, least of all Microsoft as all you get from them is that it's the Windows Feature Experience Pack and that it includes features critical to Windows functionality...

6. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (30-05-2020)

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Not at all, it was my mistaker so my apologies.

I'm probably a bit over enthusiastic or overshared TBH as I (you?) tend to do when discovering new things, that and i really don't like using third party GUI's when it comes to tweaking Windows, not that sysinternals is exactly third party any more or one of what I'd class as bad tweaking program though, i guess i got burnt by to many tweaking programs back in the day (not that it's changed much) changing settings that they either weren't meant to or making suggestions to change something that shouldn't really be changed.

IDK I just find making changes to the OS using the built in tools generally safer, at least if I can discover what particular settings do as like i said Microsoft's documentation is awful, for example what's "Windows.Client.ShellComponents~~~~0.0.1.0"...nobody seems to know, least of all Microsoft as all you get from them is that it's the Windows Feature Experience Pack and that it includes features critical to Windows functionality...
    If they know (and they should) it is always interesting when they decide not to tell people what something does. Usually a sign to try blocking it and see whether the thing still behaves.

I need to start learning shell it would seem. Any good places to start?

Thanks

I'm probably the worst person to ask as last month i had no experience of coding whatsoever so simply working out how to get, store, filter and iterate through a list of commands was a pretty big achievement for me. Most of what I've learned so far has come from Google searches on commands and stuff I've seen in other peoples scripts, I'm still not 100% sure of what the difference is between (, {, and [ is.

I suppose the best advise I'd have is to think of something you want to automate, for me it was removing some of the pre-installed stuff that comes with Windows 10, disabling scheduler tasks and services, import local policies, and making changes to the registry, and unbinding network protocols but i guess it could be most things you can do via various Windows GUI's, and from there it was just adding powershell to the search of what i was trying to do and going from there.

9. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (30-05-2020)

Thanks
    • lodore's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X570 AORUS MASTER
      • CPU:
      • Amd Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Gigabyte AORUS 7000s SSD and sandisk 1tb sata 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI 11gb
      • PSU:
      • Ion+ 860W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 34inch ultra wide quad HD 144hz and 24inch asus HD
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

I am personally finding the GUI to be getting worse. I have never been a fan of the settings app but in 2004 it seems even worse. trying to remove features using it doesn't even seem possible. it shows a blank list and a search box. it does have a link to control panel to add /remove features but that is defeating the point is having the option within settings.

A warning for headphone users 2004 will reset volume to at least 80% during the upgrade. I normally have my volume at 5% so it was a massive shock when i started some music after the upgrade..

I have started learning a few powershell commands to avoid the horrible settings app. trying to change a ethernet network adaptor type from public to private in 1909 seems an impossible task for the UI so i found the powershell command and done it in about 30seconds. I managed to set the network type from public to private on wifi connection using the settings app but the same option didn't appear for ethernet.

By far the worst settings app section has to be printing. trying it in an AD environment to locate a particular printer is terrible. it doesn't appear to have a search so if you have hundreds or thousands of print queues it takes ages to find the right one. Microsoft still include the control panel advanced printer dialog which is really the only way you would want to deal with adding a printer in an AD environment.

Settings seems to cater for the basic settings and control panel is used when you have some actual admin tasks to do. It does look like Microsoft want to remove control panel eventually but it looks like we are far off that. I find it quite ironic how windows used to have really good UI so commandline wasn;t really needed especially on desktop OS but now due to how crap settings app is powershell can be quicker.

Thanks
    • matts-uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Apple iMac
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 3.4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • RAID5 on the twin Xeon server I keep in the airing cupboard
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 7970M
      • Case:
      • A lurvely slimline, all in one aluminium number.
      • Operating System:
      • OSX, Centos, Windows.
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LED (Apple), 24" LED (Apple), 2 x 20" TFT Dell
      • Internet:
      • ADSL rubbish

I'm probably the worst person to ask as last month i had no experience of coding whatsoever so simply working out how to get, store, filter and iterate through a list of commands was a pretty big achievement for me. Most of what I've learned so far has come from Google searches on commands and stuff I've seen in other peoples scripts, I'm still not 100% sure of what the difference is between (, {, and [ is.
    Parenthesis '()' delimit precedence, the same as they do in maths. The most common use of parenthesis is to delimit the parameters passed to a function; I don't want to have to explain how passing parameters is an example of precedence, just take my word for it, it is

Braces '{}' delimit scope. Without getting into what scope is, scope is most recognisable as a block of code. For example the multiple instructions within a loop or a function.

Brackets '[]' delimit elements, such as within an array. For example, ignoring the distraction of uni-code, if you take the string $_mystring = "hello world." $_mystring is a label for a memory address that contains the byte 'h' The address $_mystring + 11 bytes contains the byte '.' So, $_mystring[6] contains 'w'

Brackets are also used to delimit the elements of a regular expression (RegEx). RegEx are incredibly powerful and useful but the syntax is witch-craft

I suppose the best advise I'd have is to think of something you want to automate,
    Having a realisable goal is essential, I would say. Over ambition is probably the biggest hurdle to people learning to code today. So think small, initially at least.

The temptation with Powershell, like most shell scripting, is learning to copy / paste rather than learning to code. As a pipelined language Powershell is not so useful for learning the structure that underlies all programming. What Powershell does have going for it are the instant results that can inspire people to look a little deeper.

The developed world faces an odd situation in so far as more and more people are using computers but comparatively fewer and fewer know how they actually work. Even if you look at companies like Microsoft and Apple, their development teams are spending much more time pushing icons around a screen than fixing some of the 'proper' bugs in code that have plagued their products for decades now.

12. Received thanks from:

Corky34 (31-05-2020),ik9000 (31-05-2020)

Thanks

[QUOTE=matts-uk;4214071

.... but comparatively fewer and fewer know how they actually work. [/QUOTE]
    Oh come on ..... everybody knows it's those hyper-genius nano-mice on their nano-wheels. And each generation of chip manages to fit more nano-mice in. Software engineers are just getting better at speaking nano-mise-ese.

Obvious, innit?

😊    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Oh come on ..... everybody knows it's those hyper-genius nano-mice on their nano-wheels. And each generation of chip manages to fit more nano-mice in. Software engineers are just getting better at speaking nano-mise-ese.

Obvious, innit?

������
    oh ffs I've had enough of this fake news and distorting the truth for biased agenda. It's nano hamsters, not nano mice. The sooner people stop spreading these lies about mice the sooner we can get on with communicating properly with our nano rodent overlords. A key example would be "eêk ek eék" which in mise-ese translates as bleach whereas in hamsterese is "scientifically validated vaccine of medicinal value". It makes a big difference when someone is translating the speach our overlords have given us at the podium to say what people should be doing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    oh ffs I've had enough of this fake news and distorting the truth for biased agenda. It's nano hamsters, not nano mice. The sooner people stop spreading these lies about mice the sooner we can get on with communicating properly with our nano rodent overlords. A key example would be "eêk ek eék" which in mise-ese translates as bleach whereas in hamsterese is "scientifically validated vaccine of medicinal value". It makes a big difference when someone is translating the speach our overlords have given us at the podium to say what people should be doing.
    That's for AMD.

I'm with Micecrosoft.

A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Why is Advanced Mice Devices incorporated selling processors using hamsters?

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    Why is Advanced Mice Devices incorporated selling processors using hamsters?
    Smaller. They couldn't get the die shrink with mice. Just be glad the days of the athlon X2 black rattus are behind us.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matts-uk View Post
    Parenthesis '()' delimit precedence, the same as they do in maths. The most common use of parenthesis is to delimit the parameters passed to a function; I don't want to have to explain how passing parameters is an example of precedence, just take my word for it, it is

Braces '{}' delimit scope. Without getting into what scope is, scope is most recognisable as a block of code. For example the multiple instructions within a loop or a function.

Brackets '[]' delimit elements, such as within an array. For example, ignoring the distraction of uni-code, if you take the string $_mystring = "hello world." $_mystring is a label for a memory address that contains the byte 'h' The address $_mystring + 11 bytes contains the byte '.' So, $_mystring[6] contains 'w'

Brackets are also used to delimit the elements of a regular expression (RegEx). RegEx are incredibly powerful and useful but the syntax is witch-craft
    You're lovely for going to the trouble of explaining it and undoubtedly it is going to be of use to someone however it's wasted on me as even after having read about them multiple times from not only what you've just described but various other places it's still not sunk in, and i know that's my fault, it's like my brains just incapable of doing what it's told.

I dare say one day a lightbulb will go on but ATM it's like someone's told me when and what to use nails, screws, and raw-plugs on and despite that i keep using nails in concrete and raw-plugs in wood expecting them to work.

Thanks
    • matts-uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Apple iMac
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 3.4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • RAID5 on the twin Xeon server I keep in the airing cupboard
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 7970M
      • Case:
      • A lurvely slimline, all in one aluminium number.
      • Operating System:
      • OSX, Centos, Windows.
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LED (Apple), 24" LED (Apple), 2 x 20" TFT Dell
      • Internet:
      • ADSL rubbish

It's nano hamsters, not nano mice.
    Look!

It's not nano-mice, or hamsters....Because the PICses Ate'm'el

My coats around here somewhere.