Thread: HUAWEI announces launch date for P40 PRO+

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

HUAWEI announces launch date for P40 PRO+

Huawei, today announced that the HUAWEI P40 Pro+ will go sale in UK from the 25th June.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: HUAWEI announces launch date for P40 PRO+

I wonder how many people will buy a £1299 (RRP) Huawei, with outstanding threats to Android, etc, and no access to Play store?

I find it hard to judge 'cos I wouldn't pay that for any phone, regardless of spec and/or US/China trade issues. But I wouldn't.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Having seen one review of this.. the rest will follow suit. "Fantastic camera BUT"..."almost perfect BUT"..."this is the phone you been waiting for BUT".. BUT..... being Google apps.

There will be people (small number) who have always wanted google off their devices, this is their chance. But for £1k+?

Question if you understand camera tech... could you buy a compact for around 350max e.g. Canon Powershot G9, spend 300 on a midrange phone and take better images than p40 pro+?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pp05 View Post

There will be people (small number) who have always wanted google off their devices, this is their chance. But for £1k+?

Question if you understand camera tech... could you buy a compact for around 350max e.g. Canon Powershot G9, spend 300 on a midrange phone and take better images than p40 pro+?
    As you know, I'm not exactly a Google fan, but .... really, we're Linda locked into either Google or Apple ecosystems. It's one reason why I avoided smartphones until very recently. But various events, including Covid, forced a direction change on me.

My ideal would be a smartphone where I could remove all those Google bits I don't want, and especially to opt out (or not opt in) to any off Google's obnoxious habits of data thievery and analysis. I ddo nnot want to be tracked by anybody, for any reason, be it Google, Apple, MS, Amazon .... or the Chinese government and it's appendages. I don't want any collecting, let alone analysis, of my data unless I explicitly choose to opt in.

So no, I don't want Google, but a better question, re: Huawei, is whether I'm prepared to end up locked into the Chinese ecosystem in order to avoid Google's ecosystem? The answer to that, having just decided between Huawei and Google is, a resounding no. Given that a P40, and IIRC, some P30 models meant being locked out of US-based corporates nd into Chinese lines, I went Samsung, and therefore Android/Google.

I don't like it, but I dislike it a smidge less than the other way. So if I was in the market for £1k phone (which I'm not) it wouldn't be a P40. As for the camera question, I don't know how good the P40 is at photo's but, nor do I care. I do have a very small sub-compact (Panasonic TZ-something, TZ30??) which I use for snapshots. Even the Samsung is probably good enough for snapshots.

But for serious photography, for me, no compact or phone is going to be good enough and I rely on 'proper' cameras and, more particularly, the associated ecosystem. One reason is a love of macro, and in many situations, that requires unusual flash support or lenses.

That, though, is going to be a minority position and for many people, modern smartphones will be photographically good enough.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thread Information