Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 35

Thread: AMD to extend Ryzen 3000 CPU life cycle, according to report

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31,709
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2,073 times in 719 posts

    AMD to extend Ryzen 3000 CPU life cycle, according to report

    Industry sources say this means Zen 3-based Ryzen 4000 CPUs will be pushed to 2021.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    11,897
    Thanks
    835
    Thanked
    525 times in 364 posts

    Re: AMD to extend Ryzen 3000 CPU life cycle, according to report

    No great shock, given they've just refreshed certain models with the XT.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,207
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked
    114 times in 102 posts

    Re: AMD to extend Ryzen 3000 CPU life cycle, according to report

    Well looks like I won't be upgrading this year if that's the case. More time to save I suppose, at this rate maybe I will be going threadripper instead lol.

    Having said that, if I was AMD, I'd be pushing out as much as I can as fast as I can because as much as I like to see AMD on top for a change, I'd never be underestimating the sheer financial clout that Intel has to speed up development....

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    11,897
    Thanks
    835
    Thanked
    525 times in 364 posts

    Re: AMD to extend Ryzen 3000 CPU life cycle, according to report

    I've not long upgraded my main rig, but now that 500 series chipset is out I'm hoping to pick up a 450 based iTX board for my server refresh, add to that one of the AM4 G series chips that'll give me a smaller case (Node 304) and something a bit newer than my existing box (i5-3470/Node 804) so silver linings and all that..

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,919
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    183 times in 153 posts

    Re: AMD to extend Ryzen 3000 CPU life cycle, according to report

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Well looks like I won't be upgrading this year if that's the case. More time to save I suppose, at this rate maybe I will be going threadripper instead lol.

    Having said that, if I was AMD, I'd be pushing out as much as I can as fast as I can because as much as I like to see AMD on top for a change, I'd never be underestimating the sheer financial clout that Intel has to speed up development....
    Threadripper is kinda being deprecated though...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  6. #6
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,842
    Thanks
    3,839
    Thanked
    5,132 times in 3,958 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: AMD to extend Ryzen 3000 CPU life cycle, according to report

    Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    I've not long upgraded my main rig, but now that 500 series chipset is out I'm hoping to pick up a 450 based iTX board for my server refresh, add to that one of the AM4 G series chips that'll give me a smaller case (Node 304) and something a bit newer than my existing box (i5-3470/Node 804) so silver linings and all that..
    The mini-ITX motherboards and SFX PSUs seemed to get harder to get and went up in price a few weeks ago. I was helping my mate upgrade his PC and it was a PITA.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,207
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked
    114 times in 102 posts

    Re: AMD to extend Ryzen 3000 CPU life cycle, according to report

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Threadripper is kinda being deprecated though...
    Not if you can work with more than 16c/32t though, which I can, although I'll be carefully weighing up the price versus real world benefit (at present it's an extra £1500 outlay)

    As much as I'd like to see everything I do pushed to the gpu, sadly that still isn't the case.
    Last edited by LSG501; 16-06-2020 at 06:11 PM.

  8. #8
    IQ: 1.42
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    old trafford
    Posts
    1,340
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked
    94 times in 80 posts
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

    Re: AMD to extend Ryzen 3000 CPU life cycle, according to report

    Not surprising really. These CPUs are so far and away better than the competition, and intel are constantly fluffing their releases. Honestly I found it kinda weird how they were putting out another one so close to it.

  9. #9
    Yay a custom user title! =assassin='s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    896
    Thanks
    89
    Thanked
    57 times in 39 posts

    Re: AMD to extend Ryzen 3000 CPU life cycle, according to report

    Bah, no new PC this year then.... I'll hold off for the Ryzen 4000 launch. I guess it's likely done to just clear inventory for maximum profit. XT makes even more sense now.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    11,897
    Thanks
    835
    Thanked
    525 times in 364 posts

    Re: AMD to extend Ryzen 3000 CPU life cycle, according to report

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    The mini-ITX motherboards and SFX PSUs seemed to get harder to get and went up in price a few weeks ago. I was helping my mate upgrade his PC and it was a PITA.
    Ahh crap yeah, forgot I'll need a new PSU as well, thanks

  11. #11
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,842
    Thanks
    3,839
    Thanked
    5,132 times in 3,958 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: AMD to extend Ryzen 3000 CPU life cycle, according to report

    Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    Ahh crap yeah, forgot I'll need a new PSU as well, thanks
    Luckily that case can take a full sized PSU:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CORSAIR-T...s/113989749942

  12. #12
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: AMD to extend Ryzen 3000 CPU life cycle, according to report

    Not the news I wanted to hear. Can totally understand it with Intel stuck on 14nm with no real alternative for months. However if they did release the 4000 they would be even further ahead gaining all the things that follow: Brand enhancement, tech d1ck swinging etc surely that would pretty much kill Intel desktop even in the B2B die hard Intel crowd unless an amd specific vulnerability was found? It would also shine a lens on their real prize the server market where Epyc is simply Epic and mainstream would become AMD on both fronts...

  13. #13
    Now 100% Apple free cheesemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near the New forest
    Posts
    2,931
    Thanks
    351
    Thanked
    243 times in 167 posts
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

    Re: AMD to extend Ryzen 3000 CPU life cycle, according to report

    Quote Originally Posted by syristix View Post
    Not the news I wanted to hear. Can totally understand it with Intel stuck on 14nm with no real alternative for months. However if they did release the 4000 they would be even further ahead gaining all the things that follow: Brand enhancement, tech d1ck swinging etc surely that would pretty much kill Intel desktop even in the B2B die hard Intel crowd unless an amd specific vulnerability was found? It would also shine a lens on their real prize the server market where Epyc is simply Epic and mainstream would become AMD on both fronts...
    It depends on what they do with the delay. If they put the time into pushing the 4000 series Ryzen's onto 5nm (there where supposed to ship as 7nm) then its worth it. If they use it to sit on their behinds and rake in the cash then no. I suspect they know Intel will try and come for them and they will use this time to pull a little more out of the 4000 series but who knows? I do know AMD have been the underdog for a while so I don't see them becoming complacent just yet.
    Trust

    Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    260
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    7 times in 6 posts

    Re: AMD to extend Ryzen 3000 CPU life cycle, according to report

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    I've not long upgraded my main rig, but now that 500 series chipset is out I'm hoping to pick up a 450 based iTX board for my server refresh, add to that one of the AM4 G series chips that'll give me a smaller case (Node 304) and something a bit newer than my existing box (i5-3470/Node 804) so silver linings and all that..
    The mini-ITX motherboards and SFX PSUs seemed to get harder to get and went up in price a few weeks ago. I was helping my mate upgrade his PC and it was a PITA.
    Yeah, I've been trying to get an Asus X570 mITX board and its been postponed since the 23/may.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    309
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    22 times in 19 posts
    • KultiVator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus x570 Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3900x
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 32GB (2x16gb) 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 5TB of NVMe storage (most of it on PCIe4) + Various SATA SSDs & HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus RTX 2080 Super OC 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750x
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Eclipse P600s (Black & White Edition)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 32" 4K IPS / ASUS 24" ProArt 1200p IPS / GStory 1080p/166Hz GSync/FreeSync IPS / Quest 2 HMD

    Re: AMD to extend Ryzen 3000 CPU life cycle, according to report

    There's been mixed messages about AMD maybe moving Zen3 to the 5nm process - perhaps the delayed launch gives AMD the time to make this happen, as it gives them more scope to fight off Intel's upcoming resurgence in 2021.

    Until then Zen 2 CPUs are more than competitive enough.

  16. #16
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    30,928
    Thanks
    1,843
    Thanked
    3,354 times in 2,696 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: AMD to extend Ryzen 3000 CPU life cycle, according to report

    Quote Originally Posted by KultiVator View Post
    There's been mixed messages about AMD maybe moving Zen3 to the 5nm process - perhaps the delayed launch gives AMD the time to make this happen, as it gives them more scope to fight off Intel's upcoming resurgence in 2021.
    5nm is out of the question for Zen3 (https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/1432...irm-zen-3-7nm/). The question is which variety of 7nm it's using.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •