Thread: Google and Parallels to bring MS Office suite to Chromebooks

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Google and Parallels to bring MS Office suite to Chromebooks

Aim to bring full-featured Windows applications to Chrome Enterprise from this autumn.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Google and Parallels to bring MS Office suite to Chromebooks

Ooooh, now this could be interesting.

Thanks

I'm not and am not likely to be a Chromebook user, so it's irrelevant to me, but this strikes me as a very good move. I also fully agree that Covid has changed 'normal' and that that will have an effect going forward, in WFH (Work From Home) terms. I personally know of several small firms that didn't want to engage with this, due I suspect to trust issues, but having been forced into it by Covid lockdown, have realised that for some staff and/or situations it can work really, really well. One obvious benefit is downsizing office premises, or even simply cancelling planned upsizing of premises.

And, of course, ultra lightweight devices fit perfectly with that. I'm using an MS Surface Pro (with MS 365, mainly for Word, Excel and Outlook) but while (IMHO) superb, these do come at a stiff price and are over-specified for a large proportion of general office work that could, in a new 'normal', be done from home. Adding genuine MS applications to that on less pricey gear like Chromebooks is a very Good compromise for new-normal WFH. IMO, of course.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    And, of course, ultra lightweight devices fit perfectly with that. I'm using an MS Surface Pro (with MS 365, mainly for Word, Excel and Outlook) but while (IMHO) superb, these do come at a stiff price and are over-specified for a large proportion of general office work that could, in a new 'normal', be done from home. Adding genuine MS applications to that on less pricey gear like Chromebooks is a very Good compromise for new-normal WFH. IMO, of course.
    I'm not sure why lightweight laptops would be more preferred, they cost more and have less I/O and battery life. A relatively cheap standard 15" with a solid CPU like 3500U/4500U is enough for most common work procedures (mail, office, chat, video conferencing).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Psihomodo View Post
    I'm not sure why lightweight laptops would be more preferred, they cost more and have less I/O and battery life. A relatively cheap standard 15" with a solid CPU like 3500U/4500U is enough for most common work procedures (mail, office, chat, video conferencing).
    Just because they're easier to get out, use, and put away when not in use. That is, my Surface Pro is less effort than my Dell 17" laptop. I'm fortunate enough to have a large dedicated home office, so a permanent installation is not a problem, but if using the kitchen table and dodging the kids, lightweight makes it easier. The really lightweight devices are more convenient when all someone needs is a basic computing capability and, say, a phone.

But you're right. Pricey stuff isn't required for simple work from home. I just do that with it .... and more, with the Surface Pro.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

But there is open office out there too?

Thread Information