Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 23

Thread: Intel 12th gen Alder Lake-S CPUs require LGA 1700 Socket

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    29,930
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,938 times in 679 posts

    Intel 12th gen Alder Lake-S CPUs require LGA 1700 Socket

    That's a >40 per cent pin increase for what is rumoured to be the first hybrid desktop design.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    273
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    • Boon72's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 TOMAHAWK
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-8500 @ 3.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung EVO 960 256gb NVMe, 2 x Toshiba 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1060 AMP 6GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 500w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake F31 Suppressor
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama Black Hawk 27"
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone Max Fibre

    Re: Intel 12th gen Alder Lake-S CPUs require LGA 1700 Socket

    more money grabbing with the motherboard change as well, might be time to look at AMD who seem to be able to improve their CPU's whilst keeping the same pins and therefore the same motherboard.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,103
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    118 times in 101 posts

    Re: Intel 12th gen Alder Lake-S CPUs require LGA 1700 Socket

    with 1700 pins the actual socket cost and cpu cost is going to be forced to be high simply by component count

    If this is not a huge increase in performance then it will not be received well
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  4. #4
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Intel 12th gen Alder Lake-S CPUs require LGA 1700 Socket

    Since the release of 75mhz Pentiums with errors. It's been a wave of errors and bugs and poor performance for intel. The last 3 years, they totally sunk. Will take some time, if they ever manage to come up with a competing product again. And if they do, do we wanna go back ?
    I don't need an Intel product to slow down my machine again.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    1,111
    Thanks
    89
    Thanked
    147 times in 134 posts
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix Elite PC3-14900
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX200 | Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD | WDC 1TB Green | Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290 VaporX 7950
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic) or Seasonic SII-330
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell P2414H

    Re: Intel 12th gen Alder Lake-S CPUs require LGA 1700 Socket

    They've been on 1150-1200 pins for all the dual channel CPUs since Nehalem in 2008 and even the short-lived triple channel CPUs were only 1366 pins.
    500 extra pins is not something Intel would do lightly though, so why now?
    Quad channel? Tripple channel? More power planes?
    This might mean new CPU coolers too.

  6. #6
    IQ: 1.42
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    old trafford
    Posts
    1,186
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked
    86 times in 74 posts
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

    Re: Intel 12th gen Alder Lake-S CPUs require LGA 1700 Socket

    Seems a bit weird how it's DDR5; it's not even minimally available yet. Normally servers use it for 2 years or so before seeing it on desktop

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Intel 12th gen Alder Lake-S CPUs require LGA 1700 Socket

    With the the addition of the new AMX instructions, they are planning to do a lot of tiled memory processing for ai. Convolution parameter requirements keep doubling every few months, we are told, so it would be a big win to have a separate external memory busses for parameters, program, data ... like the DSP chips have provided for a long time. That's my guess for the extra pins.

    They also need to beef up the PCIE4 pin count so they have enough pins for both the PCIE4 SSD and PCIE4 GPU.

    btw, since their Sapphire Rapids and Ponte Vecchio GPUs will use PCIE5/CXL in late 2021, why would we not expect GPUs and desktop cores and GPUs with PCIE5 during the same timeframe? I don't recall seeing a roadmap showing Alder Lake with PCIE4 or PCIE5.

  8. #8
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,793
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked
    308 times in 219 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: Intel 12th gen Alder Lake-S CPUs require LGA 1700 Socket

    Quote Originally Posted by Boon72 View Post
    more money grabbing with the motherboard change as well, might be time to look at AMD who seem to be able to improve their CPU's whilst keeping the same pins and therefore the same motherboard.
    Yes and no. Bear in mind the recent debacle over motherboard support. CPU sockets =/= guaranteed compatibility. It depends on how often you plan on swapping CPUs, but an expensive, high end mobo might only support new CPUs for 3 years from birth. So, if you buy a mobo towards the end of its run, you might find in 2 years it ceases to be compatible with new CPUs even though the socket matches.

    The physical socket is only a set of pins and there are a lot of technical deeliemabobs to support each CPU. You don't necessarily know what those deeliemabobs are going to be in 3 or 4 years time and the last thing a company like AMD needs is to restrict the performance of a new generation of CPUs and possibly lose out to Intel, just for the small number of people who have a 4 year old mobo and want to upgrade.

    There are some advantages to Intel's approach in this regard. For people who are buying expensive, high end CPUs, you're pretty certain to need to replace the mobo when you upgrade (assuming the longer upgrade cycle). The people who benefit from this are those who buy a motherboard and CPU but can't afford / commit to an expensive CPU. So they'll buy cheap to get the build going and then upgrade in a year or two as finances permit. They just need to be careful that the mobo they have chosen is going to have vendor support as well as AMD support. AMD might support the socket, but the mobo manufacturer needs to release BIOS updates for your specific product.

    EDIT: Intel's approach certainly removes uncertainty and complexity around support. It would be very easy for someone learning their way around the PC world to look at a motherboard for their first build, see "AM4" and not realise their chosen CPU just won't work. AMD's approach is more consumer friendly, but opens up some extra pitfalls for the uninitiated. Problem there is that if you make something like the custom PC market have a higher and higher barrier to entry, it will eventually become unprofitable. Then we're back to the idea of CPUs soldered onto motherboards along with RAM and it all sold as a bundle.
    Last edited by philehidiot; 29-06-2020 at 02:29 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,103
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    118 times in 101 posts

    Re: Intel 12th gen Alder Lake-S CPUs require LGA 1700 Socket

    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    Yes and no. Bear in mind the recent debacle over motherboard support. CPU sockets =/= guaranteed compatibility. It depends on how often you plan on swapping CPUs, but an expensive, high end mobo might only support new CPUs for 3 years from birth. So, if you buy a mobo towards the end of its run, you might find in 2 years it ceases to be compatible with new CPUs even though the socket matches.

    The physical socket is only a set of pins and there are a lot of technical deeliemabobs to support each CPU. You don't necessarily know what those deeliemabobs are going to be in 3 or 4 years time and the last thing a company like AMD needs is to restrict the performance of a new generation of CPUs and possibly lose out to Intel, just for the small number of people who have a 4 year old mobo and want to upgrade.

    There are some advantages to Intel's approach in this regard. For people who are buying expensive, high end CPUs, you're pretty certain to need to replace the mobo when you upgrade (assuming the longer upgrade cycle). The people who benefit from this are those who buy a motherboard and CPU but can't afford / commit to an expensive CPU. So they'll buy cheap to get the build going and then upgrade in a year or two as finances permit. They just need to be careful that the mobo they have chosen is going to have vendor support as well as AMD support. AMD might support the socket, but the mobo manufacturer needs to release BIOS updates for your specific product.

    EDIT: Intel's approach certainly removes uncertainty and complexity around support. It would be very easy for someone learning their way around the PC world to look at a motherboard for their first build, see "AM4" and not realise their chosen CPU just won't work. AMD's approach is more consumer friendly, but opens up some extra pitfalls for the uninitiated. Problem there is that if you make something like the custom PC market have a higher and higher barrier to entry, it will eventually become unprofitable. Then we're back to the idea of CPUs soldered onto motherboards along with RAM and it all sold as a bundle.
    I think that is all well and good but Intel have just released a new socket and chipset and this will be replaced next year, so less than a year possibly is (quite rightly) seen as a bit of a joke...

    it *may* be a great move, but again it may not...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,103
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    118 times in 101 posts

    Re: Intel 12th gen Alder Lake-S CPUs require LGA 1700 Socket

    Quote Originally Posted by JayN View Post
    With the the addition of the new AMX instructions, they are planning to do a lot of tiled memory processing for ai. Convolution parameter requirements keep doubling every few months, we are told, so it would be a big win to have a separate external memory busses for parameters, program, data ... like the DSP chips have provided for a long time. That's my guess for the extra pins.

    They also need to beef up the PCIE4 pin count so they have enough pins for both the PCIE4 SSD and PCIE4 GPU.

    btw, since their Sapphire Rapids and Ponte Vecchio GPUs will use PCIE5/CXL in late 2021, why would we not expect GPUs and desktop cores and GPUs with PCIE5 during the same timeframe? I don't recall seeing a roadmap showing Alder Lake with PCIE4 or PCIE5.
    All good points... but it's another chipset and socket in an extremely short timeframe...
    Just seems Intel can't stop the bad news express right now
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    355
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    3 times in 3 posts

    Re: Intel 12th gen Alder Lake-S CPUs require LGA 1700 Socket

    Please Intel, who is running your guys QA?!?!? And who designs this?!?!?

    I it is so many times less efficient having to replace the Motherboard every time you guys make something new... who is it in the Intel Department who did not get the memo.. and why has the people reponsible not been fired yet for costing the company money... and worse... and much much worse.. hurting the potential customers.

  12. #12
    duc
    duc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    299
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked
    32 times in 28 posts
    • duc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • HP Spectre X360 13
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 256MB NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel
      • Case:
      • HP Spectre Convertible 13
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 13" 4K
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone Fibre

    Re: Intel 12th gen Alder Lake-S CPUs require LGA 1700 Socket

    Could be inetraging one of those Xe tile graphics

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked
    6 times in 6 posts

    Re: Intel 12th gen Alder Lake-S CPUs require LGA 1700 Socket

    big.LITTLE on desktop sounds like the least exciting new USP they could have implemented.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,103
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    118 times in 101 posts

    Re: Intel 12th gen Alder Lake-S CPUs require LGA 1700 Socket

    Quote Originally Posted by edmundhonda View Post
    big.LITTLE on desktop sounds like the least exciting new USP they could have implemented.
    and least useful for many as well
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,670
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked
    217 times in 157 posts

    Re: Intel 12th gen Alder Lake-S CPUs require LGA 1700 Socket

    Quote Originally Posted by edmundhonda View Post
    big.LITTLE on desktop sounds like the least exciting new USP they could have implemented.
    That's the big thing i get from this, why would you want hybridisation on the desktop.

    I'm going to have to see it to believe it is useful.

  16. #16
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Intel 12th gen Alder Lake-S CPUs require LGA 1700 Socket

    No lessons learnt. It's a shame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •