Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox Series S Lockhart to be revealed this August

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Xbox Series S Lockhart to be revealed this August

AMD APU inside is said to offer the same CPU config/speeds as the X, but a lower tier GPU.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Jace007's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 7700k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 500GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 1080
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750w
      • Operating System:
      • WinLOW

Re: Xbox Series S Lockhart to be revealed this August

But can it Run Crysis - Remastered?

Registered+
    Thanks

Parents will not splash out for a Series X if this is going to be significantly cheaper. That means this machine could become the standard, because of a larger user base. Will it have the same SSD? If not, that will really hurt loading times and the PS5 will be so much better off as there is only one set hardware standard.

By creating this machine, Microsoft could be shooting themselves in the foot. I don't see who would want it apart from the parents of little Johnny who don't understand and buy the cheaper one and as a Christmas launch guess who will be buying those consoles.

Will be interesting to see what the price points are for both consoles, if it's half the price then parents will end up purchasing that over the more expensive one. If it's £50-100 cheaper is it worth producing two consoles. Unless they are just binning the failed series X GPUS @ 12TF and use them for the lower spec console. Still I can't see a the RRP being that much lower if that's the only difference.

Will little Johnny just ask for a PS5 so his parents can't order the slower one?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lorcaran View Post
    Parents will not splash out for a Series X if this is going to be significantly cheaper. That means this machine could become the standard, because of a larger user base. Will it have the same SSD? If not, that will really hurt loading times and the PS5 will be so much better off as there is only one set hardware standard.

By creating this machine, Microsoft could be shooting themselves in the foot. I don't see who would want it apart from the parents of little Johnny who don't understand and buy the cheaper one and as a Christmas launch guess who will be buying those consoles.

Will be interesting to see what the price points are for both consoles, if it's half the price then parents will end up purchasing that over the more expensive one. If it's £50-100 cheaper is it worth producing two consoles. Unless they are just binning the failed series X GPUS @ 12TF and use them for the lower spec console. Still I can't see a the RRP being that much lower if that's the only difference.

Will little Johnny just ask for a PS5 so his parents can't order the slower one?
    But if it's half the price of a PS5 then it WILL sell well...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jace007 View Post
    lmao

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jace007 View Post
    Looking at screenshots released my phone could run it.

Registered+
    Thanks

Yes it has the same cpu and same sad with velocity architecture, gpu also supports ray tracing. This is designed for 1080p gaming rather than 4K. 25% of pixel count with 33% of series x gpu grunt

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

Funny how many are saying this is a waste of time, how many of us have 2080ti's and how many of us spend less accepting lessor performance and are happy with that.

Thanks
    • rabidmunkee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2060 OC
      • PSU:
      • EVGA
      • Operating System:
      • Win & debian
      • Internet:
      • fast-ish

Quote Originally Posted by Percy1983 View Post
    Funny how many are saying this is a waste of time, how many of us have 2080ti's and how many of us spend less accepting lessor performance and are happy with that.
    yuhuh, I sadly couldnt justify a 2080ti, but I will be getting the series x.

I see them doing the series s bundled with game pass under a subscription, and if they can push that out for no upfront cost an something like £25 p/m then it will fly off the shelves.

what would be better is if they put out halo onto game pass too, very big incentive for people then, and I believe they did say that all first party games will come to game pass a while back.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Smart move from MS. Devs aren't going to be requiring the full fat performance for good 1080p gaming or they'd lock out PS5 as well, so if you've got a 1080p (or even 720p - there are still lots of them around) TV then this could keep console costs closer to previous generations (and if that image is real - is it? - back to gamecube-like compactness).

Registered+
    Thanks
    • nwmark's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Unless they are just binning the failed series X GPUS @ 12TF and use them for the lower spec console.
    Most definitely this - its not like the PC market where they can release numerous versions of the same graphics chip and price them accordingly based on working CU's - they would essentially be worthless without all the CU's working.

Along with only 2/3 of the expensive ram - reduced cooling? - smaller chassis? digital only too? it has to be at least £150 less (other wise its not worth the effort).

Imagine if they could push this out at £300 this Christmas - all little Johnny wants to do is play the latest games with his mates from school.
    Series S - £300
    Series X - £500+??

Big Johnny (Age 15-90) obviously wants the X but will ask for that one specifically or buy it themselves.

Thanks
    • PC-LAD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X370 GT7
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600 @ 4.3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4*4 GB TG Delta @2933
      • Storage:
      • 128gb Sandisk SSD plus, 1tb SeaGate Barracuda, 640GB WD Black, 500gb WD Blue sata ssd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Evga G+650w
      • Case:
      • MasterBox 5 Lite TemG
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • MSI Optix G24C
      • Internet:
      • 10 up 70 Down

Im not sure that they'll reuse the same chip. They developed the X Polaris chip for it's own console so why not do it again. I imagine using the same chip for s and x is negligible for costs when it qa is required.
    人无完人,金无足赤

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Each time a new generation of consoles is released, the min spec developers target changes.
    Now, it looks while all three are 8C/16T Zen2, the min spec to which everything is targetted down to is a far weaker GPU and less RAM.

GPUs scaling is a fairly well understood thing on PCs but this may force another layer of abstraction which might not have been required if only the two higher spec'ed were a target.

8GB is also not good as certain going to potentially affect things too. If it's only for textures and stuff fine (a third of GPU power means lower quality textures), but if it affects AI and size of any open worlds it is a major negative thing.

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

That's ~17 CUs if the same frequency as the full fat version, probably 16 or so and slightly higher GPU clocks, so my money is on a custom die. It'll be a very capable system - faster than the xbone X, both for CPU and GPU (4 TFLOPs of RDNA > 6 TFLOPs GCN). It'll also make a brilliant APU, if they ever feel like releasing it on AM4 (wonder if it has the required AM4 SOC connections for SATA et al?). I predict no RT in order to get the price even more agreeable

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    I predict no RT in order to get the price even more agreeable
    For lockhart? I don't think there's a chance of that - it'll remain feature complete so devs don't have to make any changes between console versions.

Registered+
    Thanks

Someone has already called this earlier in the comments but it's a genius move from Microsoft - if the yield of the XSX APUs is low they can re-use the parts that don't pass quality and would have binned in the Series S improving efficiency. They can also offer this console far cheaper undercutting the PS5 whilst still offering all of the next gen benefits - parity with XSX on everything except GPU active CU count, so Series S is 1080p gaming at £299 replacing the Xbox One X (these are on fire sale at the moment to get rid of stock) and Series X is 4K gaming at £499. They are also likely to offer both consoles on a mobile phone type contract (Xbox All Access) with £0 upfront and an attractive monthly fee of maybe £19.99 for the Series S and £24.99 for the Series X on a 24 month contract - both include Game Pass Ultimate in the price as well. This is also easy for developers to cater for as the system has parity everywhere except GPU TFLOPS so they only need lower the resolution, they don't need to worry about differences in the CPU speed, or lack of ray tracing or lack of SSD as the Series S will have all of these things because it uses the same APU as the Series X just with 1/4 of the CUs active.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information