Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 53

Thread: Apple MacOS Arm64 will only support Apple Metal GPUs

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,092
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,940 times in 681 posts

    Apple MacOS Arm64 will only support Apple Metal GPUs

    So it isn't just a clean break from Intel Apple has planned over the next two years.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Apple MacOS Arm64 will only support Apple Metal GPUs

    I don't think Apple has any intention to continue their high end line up, so supporting more powerful GPUs likely isn't an issue for them.

  3. #3
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    10,959
    Thanks
    585
    Thanked
    1,177 times in 1,002 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Apple MacOS Arm64 will only support Apple Metal GPUs

    If they cared about graphics they would use Vulkan to stay standards based and give themselves options for the future. Metal always seemed anti consumer to me.

  4. #4
    Senior Member watercooled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,177
    Thanks
    1,519
    Thanked
    978 times in 837 posts

    Re: Apple MacOS Arm64 will only support Apple Metal GPUs

    I mean Apple have a lot of resources to bring to bear, but I wonder what's going to happen to the higher end of the market once they abandon AMD and Nvidia? High-end GPUs aren't something you can just start making overnight - just ask Intel, they've attempted it enough times!

    Does this mean they're just doing away with the workstation market altogether?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,718
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked
    225 times in 161 posts

    Re: Apple MacOS Arm64 will only support Apple Metal GPUs

    This is sounding more and more proprietary lock in and anti consumer by the moment. I get that in a small system like a macbook air you really will have to use an on die GPU but to make no indication that any other manufacturers would be included highlights that Apple wants to fully close the ecosystem.

    It excites me because there is a strong chance that Apple might really be starting to find out how dangerous doing something like that is. But their phones and tablet markets will keep them afloat, they won't collapse.

  6. #6
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Apple MacOS Arm64 will only support Apple Metal GPUs

    Apple was finished for me when they first soldered the CPU back in 2008-9.

  7. #7
    Moosekateer CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    29,706
    Thanks
    3,344
    Thanked
    4,669 times in 3,603 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Apple MacOS Arm64 will only support Apple Metal GPUs

    They attempted to bankrupt Imagination Technologies in Cambridge,by not licensing their GPU technology,opening up an office nearby and poaching their engineers. All this lead was to them getting bought up by the Chinese,and Apple this year started licensing Imagination patents again. So I would imagine these GPUs might be PowerVR based,and Imagination Technologies did show off RT a few years ago too.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 07-07-2020 at 12:04 PM.


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  8. #8
    Now 100% Apple free cheesemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near the New forest
    Posts
    2,484
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked
    170 times in 115 posts
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k @ 4.2
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Crucial Ballastix Elite DDR3 @1866
      • Storage:
      • 64Gb M4 + 240Gb arc100 + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (for games only) 1x500Gb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W Semi modular
      • Case:
      • NZXT Source S340 Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~30Mb

    Re: Apple MacOS Arm64 will only support Apple Metal GPUs

    More proprietary lock in from Apple. Who would have guessed?
    Trust

    Laptop : Lenovo G505s A8-5550m 8Gb 240Gb SSD Radeon HD 8550G + Radeon HD 8570M dual graphics

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    5 times in 5 posts

    Re: Apple MacOS Arm64 will only support Apple Metal GPUs

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    This is sounding more and more proprietary lock in and anti consumer by the moment. I get that in a small system like a macbook air you really will have to use an on die GPU but to make no indication that any other manufacturers would be included highlights that Apple wants to fully close the ecosystem.

    It excites me because there is a strong chance that Apple might really be starting to find out how dangerous doing something like that is. But their phones and tablet markets will keep them afloat, they won't collapse.
    This is the moment Apple committed suicide, it was to be a slow painful death, but they've came close to death before, they now foolishly believe they are immortal, poor saps.

  10. #10
    Senior Member watercooled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,177
    Thanks
    1,519
    Thanked
    978 times in 837 posts

    Re: Apple MacOS Arm64 will only support Apple Metal GPUs

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    They attempted to bankrupt Imagination Technologies in Cambridge,by not licensing their GPU technology,opening up an office nearby and poaching their engineers. All this lead was to them getting bought up by the Chinese,and Apple this year started licensing Imagination patents again. So I would imagine these GPUs might be PowerVR based,and Imagination Technologies did show off RT a few years ago too.
    It really was quite awful what happened to Imagination - getting their value destroyed overnight be Apple's press release, only for Apple to end up licensing from them again anyway. And with Apple being as big as they are, it would be very risky trying to chase them through the courts as a smaller company would likely just burn through their money before making any progress.

    Also yeah that's a good point, IIRC Imagination were talking about (and producing IP for) hardware ray tracing long before the hype around it happening on PCs.

  11. #11
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Apple MacOS Arm64 will only support Apple Metal GPUs

    PowerVR is a Tile-based Deferred Renderer.

    AMD/Intel/Nvidia uses Tile rendering but is an immediate mode renderer.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    407
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    3 times in 3 posts

    Re: Apple MacOS Arm64 will only support Apple Metal GPUs

    It is steps towards monopoly... and people do not get that just because it seem all fool proof does not mean it is perfect far from, if all you do is using the net and mails and office stuff and such it would be sufficient or as a solid work platform as well... but it is an expensive console you can't really do anything with other than buy a new one when it is out of date.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10,845
    Thanks
    657
    Thanked
    375 times in 261 posts

    Re: Apple MacOS Arm64 will only support Apple Metal GPUs

    I can see why they are doing this, however, I think it will backfire on them..

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,188
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    123 times in 105 posts

    Re: Apple MacOS Arm64 will only support Apple Metal GPUs

    Quote Originally Posted by [GSV
    Trig;304]I can see why they are doing this, however, I think it will backfire on them..
    It will either backfire or change the landscape totally
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,684
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked
    80 times in 71 posts

    Re: Apple MacOS Arm64 will only support Apple Metal GPUs

    Quote Originally Posted by [GSV
    Trig;304]I can see why they are doing this, however, I think it will backfire on them..
    I can see apple cpu's eventually being lots of little co processors dedicated to particular tasks a bit like how they have that add in card for the mac pro to help speed up decoding etc.

    Issue there is you'll eventually get to a point where your device will be 'out of date' because it doesn't have the right co processor.... could even go as far as to say planned obsolescence at the base hardware level.

    From a 'professional' perspective I can't see how an arm processor, even with add in cards, is going to give me enough grunt for my 3D work any time soon. While they made this big song and dance over maya (iirc) it only showed it being moved around, not actually doing any 'work', and if they bake in lighting and texture that's actually not that heavy.

    Mind you it makes no difference to me seeing as mac aren't exactly popular with the companies that make 3D software.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,188
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    123 times in 105 posts

    Re: Apple MacOS Arm64 will only support Apple Metal GPUs

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    I can see apple cpu's eventually being lots of little co processors dedicated to particular tasks a bit like how they have that add in card for the mac pro to help speed up decoding etc.

    Issue there is you'll eventually get to a point where your device will be 'out of date' because it doesn't have the right co processor.... could even go as far as to say planned obsolescence at the base hardware level.

    From a 'professional' perspective I can't see how an arm processor, even with add in cards, is going to give me enough grunt for my 3D work any time soon. While they made this big song and dance over maya (iirc) it only showed it being moved around, not actually doing any 'work', and if they bake in lighting and texture that's actually not that heavy.

    Mind you it makes no difference to me seeing as mac aren't exactly popular with the companies that make 3D software.
    I don't think Apple really care about pros any more....
    This will kill their use for 3d modelling and real heavy photoshop work and make them more an ipad/thin laptop company
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •