Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 17

Thread: AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3995WX photo surfaces

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,077
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,940 times in 681 posts

    AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3995WX photo surfaces

    Processor is expected to feature 64C/128T, and 8 memory channels for up to 2TB RAM support.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    237
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    17 times in 14 posts

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3995WX photo surfaces

    I think there'd need to be a very distinct performance/usage case made for yet another motherboard/socket format for a single CPU. Surely the crossover market here with Epyc processors makes its existance rather, erm, tenous?

    I almost feel like I'd prefer to see more consumer-oriented Epyc-chipset-based boards (much like the workstation xeon boards) in this space than fragmenting the already-thinly-supported TRX4 market further.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,182
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    123 times in 105 posts

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3995WX photo surfaces

    Quote Originally Posted by Irien View Post
    I think there'd need to be a very distinct performance/usage case made for yet another motherboard/socket format for a single CPU. Surely the crossover market here with Epyc processors makes its existance rather, erm, tenous?

    I almost feel like I'd prefer to see more consumer-oriented Epyc-chipset-based boards (much like the workstation xeon boards) in this space than fragmenting the already-thinly-supported TRX4 market further.
    But what if TRX4 is now replaced, it's not like the lower down enthusiast market as motherboards hardly ever get recycled in this segment with a new processor.

    8 channel memory wouldn't fit in trx4 anyhoo - and I'd say it points to a whole new product stack
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    158
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    8 times in 7 posts

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3995WX photo surfaces

    The Ryzen Pro chips are all OEM-only, right?

    I think that sTRX8 platform thing was a rumour a year ago, even before the product stack officially launched.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,182
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    123 times in 105 posts

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3995WX photo surfaces

    Quote Originally Posted by edmundhonda View Post
    The Ryzen Pro chips are all OEM-only, right?

    I think that sTRX8 platform thing was a rumour a year ago, even before the product stack officially launched.
    Been rumoured for ages to differentiate from top end ryzen to threadripper and epyc. 3 separate stacks/products with the associated hardware
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    503
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    17 times in 14 posts
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3995WX photo surfaces

    Well my TR4 board was plenty expensive, but of course i did also get one of the top 3 ones.
    But as i recall in general TR4 boards was not cheap.

    But ! MY X399 Aorus extreme are actually one of the cheapest TR4 boards here now ( 319 USD )
    Some of the other ones still maintain the 2 X higher price.
    Like 715 USD for the MSI MEG 399 Creation and other Asus boards

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,182
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    123 times in 105 posts

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3995WX photo surfaces

    Quote Originally Posted by Gentle Viking View Post
    Well my TR4 board was plenty expensive, but of course i did also get one of the top 3 ones.
    But as i recall in general TR4 boards was not cheap.

    But ! MY X399 Aorus extreme are actually one of the cheapest TR4 boards here now ( 319 USD )
    Some of the other ones still maintain the 2 X higher price.
    Like 715 USD for the MSI MEG 399 Creation and other Asus boards
    No they're not cheap which is my point. People tend to get a threadripper ecosystem with cpu and board and I reckon anyone seriously thinking of this kind of setup would go for a board and cpu and probably even memory now if it goes 8-channel
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Xlucine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,869
    Thanks
    250
    Thanked
    160 times in 126 posts
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB, 2TB hard disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12G-550
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 70 Mb/s

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3995WX photo surfaces

    So just like the 3175X, but red?

    I bet they'll use the slightly better dies from the latest 7nm+++ flavour, like the XT chips

  9. #9
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    15,173
    Thanks
    1,225
    Thanked
    2,280 times in 1,866 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 1x 8GB DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3995WX photo surfaces

    So it's a 1p-only EPYC 7H12, rebranded to Threadripper Pro, and potentially with some special process sauce to tweak the clocks up?

    Sounds off to me. Don't see how they can work up an 8-channel memory threadripper stack without causing massive confusion and cannibalising their own sales.

    I could see it being done as an OEM-only halo workstation product: OEMs could drop it into an existing (or tweaked) SP3 mobo design for their "ultimate" top end workstation products. Very limited availability. So exclusive, much wow. Although you could already do that with any EPYC processor, so...?

    Marketing has a lot to answer for...

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,712
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked
    225 times in 161 posts

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3995WX photo surfaces

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    So it's a 1p-only EPYC 7H12, rebranded to Threadripper Pro, and potentially with some special process sauce to tweak the clocks up?

    Sounds off to me. Don't see how they can work up an 8-channel memory threadripper stack without causing massive confusion and cannibalising their own sales.

    I could see it being done as an OEM-only halo workstation product: OEMs could drop it into an existing (or tweaked) SP3 mobo design for their "ultimate" top end workstation products. Very limited availability. So exclusive, much wow. Although you could already do that with any EPYC processor, so...?

    Marketing has a lot to answer for...
    It doesn't sound that off, people like Patrick at STH chastise AMD for Threadripper vs the Intel equivalent for having all that horsepower but large RAM size limitations. You also have to remember that EPYC workstations don't actually exist, the ones that do are so feature limited because they're still focused on being in a server context.

    They're not cannibalising EPYC but if they did make a workstation optimised Threadripper using the SP3 socket meaning you could also pop in generic EPYCs then that will create a balance between the huge amount of options available in EPYC and the power available to the user of Threadripper.

  11. #11
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    10,949
    Thanks
    585
    Thanked
    1,177 times in 1,002 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3995WX photo surfaces

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    You also have to remember that EPYC workstations don't actually exist,
    This is very true, though they could.

    Workstations I have had in the past used Xeons that clearly you wouldn't put in a server, I don't think that did Intel any harm from platform confusion. Having a shared platform between workstation and server seems reasonable, and more hungry cores are going to need more ram channels.

    At this stage AMD should have visibility of what the 4000 series Threadripper chips will look like, so perhaps this is a glimpse of the future if it is socket compatible with Zen 3 TR.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,712
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked
    225 times in 161 posts

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3995WX photo surfaces

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    This is very true, though they could.

    Workstations I have had in the past used Xeons that clearly you wouldn't put in a server, I don't think that did Intel any harm from platform confusion. Having a shared platform between workstation and server seems reasonable, and more hungry cores are going to need more ram channels.

    At this stage AMD should have visibility of what the 4000 series Threadripper chips will look like, so perhaps this is a glimpse of the future if it is socket compatible with Zen 3 TR.
    I really think a Epyc/Threadripper workstation mix could really do quite well, the only difficulty is the number of PCIe lanes, 128 are a lot and the vast majority of workstations won't need this amount. So if there were SP3 workstations, with only 64 lanes, popping an Epyc in would damage the value proposition.

    Not sure how that would work...

  13. #13
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    10,949
    Thanks
    585
    Thanked
    1,177 times in 1,002 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3995WX photo surfaces

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    Not sure how that would work...
    Well you wouldn't *have* to wire up all those PCIe lanes. If the chips have the full 128, and some boards just wire up a subset of them to shave some cost then that seems valid.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,712
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked
    225 times in 161 posts

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3995WX photo surfaces

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Well you wouldn't *have* to wire up all those PCIe lanes. If the chips have the full 128, and some boards just wire up a subset of them to shave some cost then that seems valid.
    Oh, absolutely, I mean from the value proposition. The board maker may be able to offset the losses to the consumer when buying the CPU with the price drop from the unwired lanes but yeah, it'll be interesting to see what's done.

  15. #15
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    5 times in 4 posts

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3995WX photo surfaces

    will 3999 fallow?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,182
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    123 times in 105 posts

    Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3995WX photo surfaces

    Quote Originally Posted by half_empty_soul View Post
    will 3999 fallow?
    As in left for a year to provide a better harvest?
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  17. Received thanks from:

    Jonj1611 (11-07-2020),Output (11-07-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •